CO2 Tank to air up tires

Any advantage to just using a small nitrogen tank instead?  Are nitrogen tanks in that smaller size common?
A few.

Co2 is an acid and depending on tire composition it could be a problem. 

Co2 will slow leak through the rubber on most tires. 

Nitrogen has a much better temperature coefficient than air, Co2 is worse. Tire pressure will change less with temperature. 

all that said, I’ve used Co2 for years but now that I have a nitrogen bottle, that’s what I’m using. 

anyone have any experience with the portable tanks to air up tires such as the below? Had to air up truck and trailer tires this past weekend took forever. Looking for a quicker solution to using an air compressor.
I've used Co2 for years in the sand.  I made my own set up though.  Got a 20lb old Coke tank from a buddy, got the regulator from my local welding supply store...actually got it for free as it didn't show on hand in their computer, and the guy at the counter didn't want to go through the BS to change inventory levels just to sell it to me.  Lucky day.

Cheap coiled hose from HF, and ready to go.  You can also buy the tanks on Amazon pretty cheap. https://smile.amazon.com/Victory-Aluminum-Cylinder-CGA320-Valve/dp/B07BDFLSG4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=20lb%2Bco2%2Btank&qid=1638748670&sr=8-3&th=1  Not many welding stores around here will fill them.  The soda tanks us a different fitting.  I get mine filled at my local microbrew supply shop.

One thing to be careful of is that the Co2 changes state at the tool your using to fill the tire.  So, it will freeze up.  I got really bad frostbite on my hand one time when airing up my truck tires on the way out..

As noted above, the Co2 will leak out of the tire faster than "air", or nitrogen.  Check you tires frequently in the weeks following.

I bought a bunch of the firefighting 4500 psi air tanks to refill my PCP air rifles. I'm going to rig up a regulator setup to drop it down to 100-200 psi or so and see how that works out for running air tools and refilling tires. The tanks are carbon fiber, so they're pretty lightweight.

For those of you that are using Nitrogen......  When you take your tank in for a fill or exchange, what is the pressure in your tank when its brand new/Full?

thanks

Bob

i think the smaller bottles have around 3k in them i have high pressure bottles for charging hydraulic accumulator on a machine that has 7k in it. i would just use a scuba tank for tires before nitrogen but co2 has a lot more volume in it they are filled like a propane bottle by weight not psi 

Back