CO2 Tank to air up tires

ChasingSand

Reaction score
Can't say I have that setup, (yet) but a few friends do and it is definitely faster than using a compressor.   Worth the investment if you want to save time.  We use them to air up our jeeps after wheeling and typically can fill up 35" tires in about 30ish seconds.   

Can't say I have that setup, (yet) but a few friends do and it is definitely faster than using a compressor.   Worth the investment if you want to save time.  We use them to air up our jeeps after wheeling and typically can fill up 35" tires in about 30ish seconds.   
So you go from say 10 Lbs to 35 Lbs in 30 seconds?

how many tires can you do on one of those tanks?

I've got a 20lb Power Tank CO2 tank that I've had for years.  It's definitely faster than a compressor.  The limiting factor is the small size of the tire valves.  I used to camp in an area where I had to air down the truck and trailer tires, so it saved me a bunch of time.  Be sure you've got a local place to fill the CO2 tank before you invest in one though.

One more thing to note...CO2 is soluble in rubber, meaning it will essentially slowly leak from the tire.  If you are aired way down and use CO2, you will have a high enough concentration in the tire that it will lose pressure over the course of days or weeks.  It's not a big deal, but just something to be aware of.  I once had my tires down to 20 lbs, aired them up to 80 lbs with CO2, and they were 10 lbs low a month later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 20# co2 tank, not a power tank, just a generic tank from the local gas supply house. Works great,  I never use a compressor in the dunes. In hindsight, should have got a 10#. The 20# tank is a little much to lug around, but it lasts foooooorrrrrreeevvvveeerrrr.  The 10# would be plenty good.

My advice is to get a generic tank like I did, the reason being is that most places don't fill, they exchange.  If you have a nice power tank, you will have to search for a place that actually fills tank. Not happening where I live, but I can exchange it at 3 local places, and it's cheap.

So you go from say 10 Lbs to 35 Lbs in 30 seconds?

how many tires can you do on one of those tanks?
Yes, it fills up very fast.  With a 10# tank you should easily fill all four tires 8+ times.  All depends on starting/finial psi.   

I've got a 20lb Power Tank CO2 tank that I've had for years.  It's definitely faster than a compressor.  The limiting factor is the small size of the tire valves.  I used to camp in an area where I had to air down the truck and trailer tires, so it saved me a bunch of time.  Be sure you've got a local place to fill the CO2 tank before you invest in one though.

One more thing to note...CO2 is soluble in rubber, meaning it will essentially slowly leak from the tire.  If you are aired way down and use CO2, you will have a high enough concentration in the tire that it will lose pressure over the course of days or weeks.  It's not a big deal, but just something to be aware of.  I once had my tires down to 20 lbs, aired them up to 80 lbs with CO2, and they were 10 lbs low a month later.
Any advantage to just using a small nitrogen tank instead?  Are nitrogen tanks in that smaller size common?

Any advantage to just using a small nitrogen tank instead?  Are nitrogen tanks in that smaller size common?
Yea, I have 2 of them, somewhere between the size of a 10# and a 20#. I don't use it for tires, strictly for shocks. It costs a lot more then co2.  And does not fill as many tires.

I've read that a CO2 tank will provide at least 3X the volume for filling tires as the same size nitrogen tank. I think it's because the CO2 is stored as a liquid, so is much more dense in the tank.

I have a 20# co2 tank, not a power tank, just a generic tank from the local gas supply house. Works great,  I never use a compressor in the dunes. In hindsight, should have got a 10#. The 20# tank is a little much to lug around, but it lasts foooooorrrrrreeevvvveeerrrr.  The 10# would be plenty good.

My advice is to get a generic tank like I did, the reason being is that most places don't fill, they exchange.  If you have a nice power tank, you will have to search for a place that actually fills tank. Not happening where I live, but I can exchange it at 3 local places, and it's cheap.
Where did you get the regulator for your setup?

Get a manifold with 4 ports and add a shut off valve with a gauge on it. 4 hoses with clip on deals. You can air down and air up 4 tires at a time while you do something else. 

Yea, I have 2 of them, somewhere between the size of a 10# and a 20#. I don't use it for tires, strictly for shocks. It costs a lot more then co2.  And does not fill as many tires.
This is what I was thinking, setup a bottle for shocks and use it for tires as well if needed. Just switched to a moho this season so my airing down days are done for now but have a few in camp that could possibly benefit. 

I've read that a CO2 tank will provide at least 3X the volume for filling tires as the same size nitrogen tank. I think it's because the CO2 is stored as a liquid, so is much more dense in the tank.
That would make sense, hadn't considered that angle. 

I used that type of setup for a few years but  made it myself rather than buy the kit.

I bought an aluminum 20lb co2 tank for 120 bucks (aluminum was lighter to carry than steel)

a cheap regulator and air hose. Was probably about 180 bucks all in.

my tires on the truck were 245x80x17 (or something close) and I would air up from 15lbs to 80lbs about 6 times on a single tank. They are about 23 bucks to refill. Def faster than a compressor.

I have a 10lb Power tank set up on order. Been waiting for it for a couple months now. I researched going with the Power Tank or putting a ARB twin compressor in the Jeep. Decided on the tank as I can also use it for toys in Glamis when the Jeep isn’t there. I should probably find a place I know will fill it up for me. Instead of the exchange program. This thing wasn’t cheap. 

I have a 10lb Power tank set up on order. Been waiting for it for a couple months now. I researched going with the Power Tank or putting a ARB twin compressor in the Jeep. Decided on the tank as I can also use it for toys in Glamis when the Jeep isn’t there. I should probably find a place I know will fill it up for me. Instead of the exchange program. This thing wasn’t cheap. 
Had a 15lb power tank for years till it was stolen out of my truck (the 1 time I forgot to lock my doors overnight!) Very convenient. Replaced it with a nitrogen set up that I exchange bottles at the local AirGas. I also have a 10lb co2 tank - keep that in the Jeep. 

Get an extended hose so you can stand up while refilling instead of kneeling. More comfortable for me.

We use aluminum tanks for one of our products and the 2 suppliers we have don't have any....  they are the 2 biggest in the US....  gonna shut our line down... 

CO2, contains a lot or water, for vehicle tires, Nitrogen if you don’t have a big compressor. There is also a device that’s called a doubler, kinda pricey, Whatever pressure you put in, it will double on the output.

Back