Charging shocks with nitrogen.

richard h

Reaction score
Know this was on old site but need to ask now. Charging a shock, when I went remove hose, I got a little oil spray back. What causes this?

Could be O rings a letting a little by.

I get a little and don't worry about it.

Just be quick to remove fitting.

O-ring on the divider piston, in the reservoir.  If it's just a little mist I would not worry too much, but they should be gone through when you get time, it's not a tough job..

noloss chuck ???
Type that treads on then you open a valve. Once open and gas is installed, I close the valve so only what is in hose/ valve is loss when disconnected. Maybe valve on shock is hanging up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Type that treads on then you open a valve. Once open and gas is installed, I close the valve so only what is in hose/ valve is loss when disconnected. Maybe valve on shock is hanging up?
bad schrader mabe hanging might of tightened up the valve on the chuck to much and damaged the schrader

Did that shock take more nitrogen than the rest? Oil mist is like blood. It always looks way worse than it really is.😂

Did that shock take more nitrogen than the rest? Oil mist is like blood. It always looks way worse than it really is.😂
No. Actually they were all right where they were set at the start of last season. Thinking about how my system works and think what happen is when I put the valve on and open it, I have the regulator set low. Once on, I then crank the regulator to put in desired amount. Then I turn the valve on the chuck to close the schrader valve and remove. The oil is going in the hose at the start of this prosses. then when removed there is the little blast of gas with oil and then it runs back out the hose.

No. Actually they were all right where they were set at the start of last season. Thinking about how my system works and think what happen is when I put the valve on and open it, I have the regulator set low. Once on, I then crank the regulator to put in desired amount. Then I turn the valve on the chuck to close the schrader valve and remove. The oil is going in the hose at the start of this prosses. then when removed there is the little blast of gas with oil and then it runs back out the hose.
When I charge shocks I lift the car in the air, connect the hose to the shock and pressurize the hose to the final pressure. Open the schrader valve to charge the shock then close the schrader valve when charged. I close the valve on the bottle leaving the hose pressurized and then remove the hose. Not saying this is the best way but works for me. If you have oil dripping from your charging hose than it’s time to rebuild at least the reservoir. The o ring on the internal floating piston in the reservoir is worn out. Nitrogen on the oil side of the piston is not necessarily a good thing.

When I charge shocks I lift the car in the air, connect the hose to the shock and pressurize the hose to the final pressure. Open the schrader valve to charge the shock then close the schrader valve when charged. I close the valve on the bottle leaving the hose pressurized and then remove the hose. Not saying this is the best way but works for me. If you have oil dripping from your charging hose than it’s time to rebuild at least the reservoir. The o ring on the internal floating piston in the reservoir is worn out. Nitrogen on the oil side of the piston is not necessarily a good thing.
Now realize this is the way to do it. Thanks. Yes, need to replace the o ring. Never been in a shock so this will be a new experience for me.

Now realize this is the way to do it. Thanks. Yes, need to replace the o ring. Never been in a shock so this will be a new experience for me.
Fairly simple process to do the reservoirs. Be careful though. If nitrogen has leaked to the oil side of the piston it is possible for the shock to still be charged even though you have depressurized the shock. If you cannot push the end cap of the reservoir inward to remove the circlip than the shock might still have pressure in it. Just something to watch for as even a little pressure in the shock can be very dangerous when you are taking it apart. Fox has great rebuild instructions available on line if that is the brand you have

Sounds like the o ring in the resevoir let a little oil by wouldnt worry about a tiny amount.Now if it shot alot out id get the shock looked at

So for my comfort I am going to pull it apart and repair it, I hope! Never don a shock before so should be fun. Need to get a o ring service kit and some oil. I'll post how it goes.

So for my comfort I am going to pull it apart and repair it, I hope! Never don a shock before so should be fun. Need to get a o ring service kit and some oil. I'll post how it goes.
They are pretty easy to take apart. I do my own servicing and valving too. Mine are fox 2.0 coil overs. My brother had 3.0 bypasses and couldn’t get done in time for a trip 

he had me take a look at them got the seal kit went to work. Funny they were not much harder to do than my 2.0 shocks. Shock guys make a good buck over regular shocks on bigger ones. But it did allow me to see how they work after seeing insides of them and the rebuild kit was more as well. 

Back