Car security while camping

Looney Duner

Reaction score
So I've been trying to figure out ways to make my car more secure while camping. It's always cabled to my motorhome, under my bedroom window, with the window cracked and my 12 gauge loaded and ready. I understand nothing is steal proof, given enough time, but you can make it too much of a hassle so would be thieves just move on to something easier. So I made a disk lock as well. And kicking around the idea of making it so I can lock my steering fully turned in one direction. It would make it hard to push or tow away like that. Again, not impossible, just a hassle. 

What does everyone else do? Just make sure you have enough insurance? Eventually I'll get a large enough enclosed trailer so I can fit it in without changing tires, and just put it away every night.....

Problem with a disk lock is I will almost guarantee you will forget about it one time and it will cause damage. 

I have shot at people messing with my stuff.  They seemed to have got the message. 

Last edited by a moderator:
you could always air down the two rear tires, that would be impossible to move and simply air it back up in the am==AM

have a disconnect switch that kills power tot he ecu  you could remove a main or fuel pump relay

the last one is put buddy on a cable on the car  that would be the 120lb rottie!

Take the steering wheel off of the car.   Take some of the wheels off.  Cover the car.  Kill switch. Remove relays.  Cable lock.  Sleep in the car.  

The rotor lock would be a problem for me.  I would certainly forget it.  

Do what your doing and put a tracker on the car. They’re pretty cheap now and I’ve seen some with 3 year battery life and no contracts. 

Mine goes inside enclosed trailer every night. Key is having a car that will fit without tire changes.

I sometimes pull the steering wheel off, and take out the key. 

I’ll put it in the trailer sometimes if it’s easy access, or if weather looks questionable 

when is the last time a Sandcar or even side x side was stolen from an attended camp?

I sometimes pull the steering wheel off, and take out the key. 

I’ll put it in the trailer sometimes if it’s easy access, or if weather looks questionable 

when is the last time a Sandcar or even side x side was stolen from an attended camp?
one was stolen off vendors row a couple weeks ago, in  daylight i think

I made a security system out of a 100" rca cable, a relay, and  a piezo buzzer that plugs into the cig lighter...simple system like they have for jackets in the stores...if they can splice a 1/8" rca cable without breaking the circuit they can have it....wire is small enough to go thru the front door and plug in up front. buzzer is loud!.. 

I have shot at people messing with my stuff.  They seemed to have got the message. 
Goddammit, I was just walking back to my Motorhome…. arsehole. :biggrin:

Security: I just disconnect a critical sensor, then rest the plug back in the correct spot without reconnecting. 

I made a security system out of a 100" rca cable, a relay, and  a piezo buzzer that plugs into the cig lighter...simple system like they have for jackets in the stores...if they can splice a 1/8" rca cable without breaking the circuit they can have it....wire is small enough to go thru the front door and plug in up front. buzzer is loud!.. 
Tell us more!! I was going to suggest a product like this. Something cheap that makes noise when someone trips a wire or moves the vehicle. 

Im a big fan of cameras as well. If something looks fishy in the morning you can look back at footage. Might recognize a vehicle or recognize clothing the crook is wearing. They could turn out to be the guys camping next to you who partied till 3am. Can also make it so your phone goes off if motion is detected. You can adjust the settings so a flag blowing in the wind does not alert as motion. Depending on your camp and if you have dogs outside it can be useful. Especially if camping solo. There should be zero motion in your camp at night. Anyone walking around at 2am is looking for trouble and you can hopefully wake up and scare them off. Come outside prepared. Or if you want to avoid confrontation you could hit the siren feature of the camera. Got to think some of these thieves would be willing to fight back and have some type of weapon on them. Even if just a prybar. These days you shoot a crook and hes likely to sue you and win is how people describe it to me. Unfortunately it has to end with the crook not being able to give his BS side of the story.

While not a car, I do a few different things with our RZR and quads. I put whatever fits back in the enclosed trailer without too much effort. Usually my 250r, son’s 400ex and daughters 250ex. The RZR and daughters LT80 get padlocked to the tongue of the enclosed right under our bedroom window. Remove the keys to both to sleep we go. There’s usually at least two other families in our group and the chance of somebody getting away with anything without waking one of us up is pretty slim.  

What I want to look into is a tracker for the enclosed itself. I store our enclosed at our house in the backyard but it does sit on the street the night before a trip and possibly the night we get home from the trip. Attached to the motorhome but that doesn’t stop shitheads. 

Cables cut easy and quiet you want something that makes noise,Remember if your heater is running or ac you wont hear chit outside either.Get some chain wrap around a few things so that it will make noise,get some of them string pull firecrackers too wrap them around something that will move and pull them apart i guarantee a thief hears the pop they will scatter fast not knowing what it was.

I prefer to just camp far away i will hear someone pulling up in a car or bike what ever and too far for anyone to walk to my camp and if i did catch someone i will just say its pretty far and distant.

i have a kill switch on the battery cable going to starter so it couldnt even be jumped at the starter.

It's simple a buzzer  2 PCS Buzzer Alarm Electronic Beep Buzzer DC 3V 12V 24V Active Piezo Buzzer 100dB Tone Alarm Ringer Continous Sound, a relay , 2 female rca jacks, a 100ft dual male rca cable, a cig lighter 12 v plug...put it in a little plastic container...I got fancy and put a switch and a green led on it. 

wire the relay so the circuit has to be closed and when it opens the buzzer goes off.... run the rca cable thru your stuff...they cut it and the buzzer goes off. 

Back