Can I tow my 12’ flatbed behind my 28 foot TH in CA?

California requires you to have a class A licsense with a doubles indoresment and current medical card to pull doubles,   all axels must have brakes, lenght is 65 feet except if each trailer is 28.6 feet then you can go to 75 feet on STAA routes  surface transportaion assistance act. routes.  not all roads are staa roads, 53 foot trailers and a long nose Pete  is longer than 65 feet but falls in the STAA rules.   If you have an AZ licsene  you can pull  non comercial

doubles in California as long as you follow the lenght and weight rules

All of this info is correct. And the Class A must be commercial as the DMV will not give a doubles/triples endorsement on a non commercial A. 

For length, if the overall length is within 65’ the semitrailers are not limited to 28’6”. If going over 65’, all trailers must be 28’6” or less and must be under 75’.  

The DMV handbook specifies the first trailer must be a 5th wheel, but that is NOT written in law. You CAN have two bumper pulls, goosenecks etc as the code does not specify. Arizona does specify that for recreational doubles, the first trailer must have a 5th wheel attachment. 

late on the topic but I have double towed from nj to glamis dune storage at 77' maybe longer and was bugging the 1st time I did it as I passed a cop.not one cop even seemed to care.i have a 4 door 8' bed f450 with a 42' toyhayler then a 16' open deck landscape trailer behind that. towed like just the same as it does without it.now I do it when ever I can to save on 2 trucks and don't even worry.ill be heading to glamis storage mid oct and will double tow rite into California with out any worries.its not allowed in most states on the east but was told if your from a different state and passing through thay won't stop you as its legal in other states

Last edited by a moderator:
All of this info is correct. And the Class A must be commercial as the DMV will not give a doubles/triples endorsement on a non commercial A. 

For length, if the overall length is within 65’ the semitrailers are not limited to 28’6”. If going over 65’, all trailers must be 28’6” or less and must be under 75’.  

The DMV handbook specifies the first trailer must be a 5th wheel, but that is NOT written in law. You CAN have two bumper pulls, goosenecks etc as the code does not specify. Arizona does specify that for recreational doubles, the first trailer must have a 5th wheel attachment. 

Interesting that it's not a 'law'. I live near the movie studios in Burbank, CA and I've seen bumper pull trailers being tow as doubles plenty of times. Always assumed they had some sort of permit or something but the last time I saw doubles being towed both trailers were pintle hooks. Wonder if that makes a difference?

Back