Can I tow my 12’ flatbed behind my 28 foot TH in CA?

ANGRYBUTTCRACK

Reaction score
Thinking about a trip to Utah and would rather just have my Dually pulling my 28’ foot TH and hitching my single axel 12’ foot flatbed behind with the 2nd RZR.

Is this legal in CA?

I’m pretty sure I’m good once I’m out of  Komifornia.

I don’t have anything but a regular DL.

What say you?

Thanks,

Abc

F57E3EE1-DDDC-4F6B-A0B6-BCF97C7AA2D7.jpeg

51F7885B-1BF1-4157-834F-7A2CC536DFB4.jpeg

BB3BC6D4-179E-4C18-BFAC-C6523CAB55FF.jpeg

Run it like you stole it...............it is legal, I think you need doubles endorsement.  I had friends that ran this for years, nobody is pulling you over unless you are speeding.  They never got pulled over.  

Roll the dice, you like to live on the edge  :70:

So what is a 'doubles endorsement?' Do I have to do some sort of written or driving test? Is that a Class B?

Thanks, yeah I'll probably just roll with it. Worse case I get a ticket or have the flatbed towed. Just no reason to pull my box or flatbed with the Suburban if I don't need to.

Best,

abc

I’m pretty sure you would need at minimum a non commercial Class A with doubles endorsement. 

At one point I had my Class A with all of the endorsements. 
Im currently shopping for a bunkhouse fifth wheel in the 34’-36’ range and will be double towing a 12’ enclosed on occasion. I won’t be renewing my liscense so I’m rolling the dice. Just going to watch my speed and not ask to get pulled over. 

Minimum non commercial with doubles endorsement and not to burst your Komifornia bubble but most states require the same license’s with endorsements.

Driver Licensing for Double Trailers - California Residents

12804.9. (b) ..., any applicant for a driver's license shall be required to submit to an examination appropriate to the type of motor vehicle or combination of vehicles the applicant desires a license to drive:
(1) Class A includes the following:
(A) Any combination of vehicles, if any vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.
(B) Any vehicle towing more than one vehicle.
(C) ...

15278. (a) A driver is required to obtain an endorsement issued by the department to operate any commercial motor vehicle that is any of the following: (1) A double trailer. (2) ...

To apply for a commercial driver license, see the DMV Commercial Driver License webpage.

Driver Licensing For Double Trailers - Nonresidents

12502. (a) The following persons may operate a motor vehicle in this state without obtaining a driver's license under this code: (1) A nonresident over the age of 18 years having in his or her immediate possession a valid driver's license issued by a foreign jurisdiction of which he or she is a resident, ....

(b) Any person entitled to the exemption contained in subdivision (a), while operating, within this state, a commercial vehicle, as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 15210, shall have in his or her possession a current medical certificate of a type described in subdivision (c) of Section 12804.9, which has been issued within two years of the date of operation of that vehicle.

15210. (b) (1) "Commercial motor vehicle" means any vehicle or combination of vehicles which requires a class A or class B license, or a class C license with an endorsement issued pursuant to paragraph (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 15278.

In summary, nonresidents may tow two trailers with a non-commercial license if their base state allows it. If the vehicle is commercial, the driver would also need a valid medical certificate per 12502 CVC.

For a valid medical certificate, see the DMV website.

Exceptions - STAA Vehicles

35401.5. (a) A combination of vehicles consisting of a truck tractor and semitrailer, or of a truck tractor, semitrailer, and trailer may exceed the length limits (single-unit: 40' maximum; single-trailer: 65-foot; doubles: 65-foot or 75-foot maximum) on the National Network and Terminal Access routes, provided that:

(1) The length of the semitrailer in exclusive combination with a truck tractor does not exceed 48 feet. The semitrailer is not more than 53 feet in length, with two or more rear axles and a maximum 40' KPRA, or with a single axle and a maximum 38-foot KPRA. (For purposes of this paragraph, a motortruck used in combination with a semitrailer, when that combination of vehicles is engaged solely in the transportation of motor vehicles, camper units, or boats, is considered to be a truck tractor.)

(2) For doubles, neither the semitrailer nor trailer exceeds 28 feet 6 inches.

(These are called "STAA" trucks. For an overview history trucks, see STAA (PDF) diagram.

(b) Subdivisions (b), (d), and (e) of Section 35402 do not apply to combinations of vehicles operated subject to the exemptions provided by this section.

Reactions: FOG
and from what i understand the 5er has to be no more than 29' and the overall length max is 65 for all three
When I studied this back in the day, the first trailer didn't need to be a 5th wheel???

California requires you to have a class A licsense with a doubles indoresment and current medical card to pull doubles,   all axels must have brakes, lenght is 65 feet except if each trailer is 28.6 feet then you can go to 75 feet on STAA routes  surface transportaion assistance act. routes.  not all roads are staa roads, 53 foot trailers and a long nose Pete  is longer than 65 feet but falls in the STAA rules.   If you have an AZ licsene  you can pull  non comercial

doubles in California as long as you follow the lenght and weight rules

Back