California National Forest are all closed

Cookie

Reaction score
US Forest Service just announced that all National Forest in CA will be closed thru Sept 17th.  If you had plans to go camping this upcoming weekend in the mtns, think again.  I know it happens once in awhile in AZ, but I can't ever remember them closing down the forest in CA.

I have a trip in Oct, hope they open back up by then

They did it same time last year. Not a coincidence it closes on opening week of archery season

Last edited by a moderator:
Was thinking about heading to Mammoth, Guess that's out.

What is the reason?  Fire, the rona, or are they just being a$$hole$?

That actually blows. I have been training to do the Mount Baldy run on Labor day weekend. Just found out the race has been canceled. 

We have a trip planned in 2 weekends to go camping by cuyamaca. Guess that’s out..?! 🤔 

The good news is I'm sure they will kick out the vagrants living in the forest. Ha ha ha ha.

We have a trip planned in 2 weekends to go camping by cuyamaca. Guess that’s out..?! 🤔 
Cuyamaca campgrounds are State Parks.  The one next to the lake is private and/or water district

Fire danger.
200.gif

Normally I am the first one to pile on Ca, but Arizona did the same thing earlier this year before we got our Monsoon kicked into gear. I am pretty sure they were closed June through mid July

Weekend before Memorial thru the weekend after 4th of July is what it always seems.

Always open for Labor Day though

Normally I am the first one to pile on Ca, but Arizona did the same thing earlier this year before we got our Monsoon kicked into gear. I am pretty sure they were closed June through mid July
In AZ, not that uncommon.  Seems at least once every 5 years the forest close due to fire danger.  Sometimes it stays closed awhile waiting on Monsoon's.  My point I haven't seen CA forest closed before due to fire danger.  The fires in Northern Ca are really bad right now, with no end in sight.

In AZ, not that uncommon.  Seems at least once every 5 years the forest close due to fire danger.  Sometimes it stays closed awhile waiting on Monsoon's.  My point I haven't seen CA forest closed before due to fire danger.  The fires in Northern Ca are really bad right now, with no end in sight.
Often I have seen Az close a particular forest or two, I cant recall in 30+ years the state closing them all at the same time, not that you are wrong.

Back