Built turbo Honda do's and don'ts

I am admittedly an amateur although I have built and run a few turbo hondas.  Pauter rods are heavy and supposedly hard to balance (obviously I do not balance my own reciprocating assembly).  Paddles and sand gets you into load ranges that street tuners are not used to seeing.   Back in the day when we were tuning street cars with AEM's on the street (closed section of road of course); there were certain load cells that we could never get into.  Too bad there is not a more modern ECM for the honda as the AEM series 2 is now unavailable?....

He never tuned V8s?   Even at 21lbs on a J35 you weren't in NA big block territory for torque.
He’s an import tuner. Modern ecoboost f150 engines are running NA big block torque numbers. 

If the car had a 1:1 gear ratio I’m sure the torque numbers wouldn’t be so extreme; but it’s a sand rail with duning gear ratios. 

I am admittedly an amateur although I have built and run a few turbo hondas.  Pauter rods are heavy and supposedly hard to balance (obviously I do not balance my own reciprocating assembly).  Paddles and sand gets you into load ranges that street tuners are not used to seeing.   Back in the day when we were tuning street cars with AEM's on the street (closed section of road of course); there were certain load cells that we could never get into.  Too bad there is not a more modern ECM for the honda as the AEM series 2 is now unavailable?....
Pauter rods are very heavy. Those were the first rods that we ran in our setup. The crank was balanced by Swiss cheesing the flywheel. 

Didn’t Holley buy AEM? If they did hopefully the Honda line is brought into the Holley terminator and dominator series of computers. 

Pauter rods are very heavy. Those were the first rods that we ran in our setup. The crank was balanced by Swiss cheesing the flywheel. 

Didn’t Holley buy AEM? If they did hopefully the Honda line is brought into the Holley terminator and dominator series of computers. 
Do you any experience running the pauter titanium rods it has been said they are expensive but how much is expensive 2 x steel or ? other than light weight are there any other benefits or negatives running them

in 1991 I talked with a guy who ran titanium rods in his sprint car.  he said the set was $800.  they made a lot more usable power & if you wanted to be competitive you had to have them.  the down side was life span was horrible (& of course cost). 

They are making some very good power with the sintered powdered rods they have now.  interesting option.  Ive not heard of anyone using them for drag race vehicles.  almost exclusively aluminum.  but Ive been out of that for a decade now too........

What do you guys think about spraying 100% meth (as apposed to 50/50 meth/water) while under boost to compensate for the lack of octane when running pump gas?
I personally like Adderall a bit more. Feels less illegal.

Anyways, how much boost have you run/do you guys suggest is comfortable on a stock J35A4?

I personally like Adderall a bit more. Feels less illegal.

Anyways, how much boost have you run/do you guys suggest is comfortable on a stock J35A4?
I ran 8lbs with 50/50 pump/race. Made good power. Yours you should really get on a dyno and see how it’s tuned and what it’s tuned for. 

I ran 8lbs with 50/50 pump/race. Made good power. Yours you should really get on a dyno and see how it’s tuned and what it’s tuned for. 
Oh yea, definitely plan on it. I'd like to put a smaller spring it in as well. In the meantime we are going to run it next weekend to see how it feels. Put it on the dyno shortly after. Nothing has "changed" since the last owner ran it, so should run okay for a weekend *knocks on wood*

Oh yea, definitely plan on it. I'd like to put a smaller spring it in as well. In the meantime we are going to run it next weekend to see how it feels. Put it on the dyno shortly after. Nothing has "changed" since the last owner ran it, so should run okay for a weekend *knocks on wood*
I’d leave it alone and just run whatever fuel the previous owner tuned it for. Most of the time in the dunes you gotta let off before you build full boost. The straight line wide open stuff is where you’ll find out if your tune is good or not. 

Do you any experience running the pauter titanium rods it has been said they are expensive but how much is expensive 2 x steel or ? other than light weight are there any other benefits or negatives running them
I have not heard of titanium rods. There is a company that has designed 3d printed carbon connecting rods

The Brian Crower h-beam rods balanced out a lot easier. Still required heavy metal slugs to be pressed in. 

Back