Buffed Tires

What a difference the cars look like with the bigger tires.

I ran 4 rib 1080's on King Kongs on a 4 seat SU for alot of years with no issues. Ran hard and fast but no wheelies.

I talked with Brandon at SANDCRAFT and he has a buffed mohawk that weighs 22 pounds that I am going to pick up at the sand show. I will try them out if I don’t like the Mohawks I will have him buff them off.

Attachments

• IMG_8422.jpeg
    IMG_8422.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 12
@FIREMAN
STU will have a 33" front tire debut at the Sand Show... 21 lbs and thats before you put it on a diet.... Just saying.

As for the STU Steering rib tires, yes they are heavy, but they perform so much better and outlast the others.. I use to run some 33" Micky Thompsons on my sand car, I swapped them out for some 8.50-15 Razor Backs. Handling was improved and for that tire, lightened up the front. the 10.75-15 is another great tire on sandcars, we have had a few in our group swap from Micky Thompsons and love them. The steering ribs cut through the chop rather then bouncing off them like the smooth tires do and they experienced less understeer as well.

As for the STU Steering rib tires, yes they are heavy, but they perform so much better and outlast the others.. I use to run some 33" Micky Thompsons on my sand car, I swapped them out for some 8.50-15 Razor Backs. Handling was improved and for that tire, lightened up the front. the 10.75-15 is another great tire on sandcars, we have had a few in our group swap from Micky Thompsons and love them. The steering ribs cut through the chop rather then bouncing off them like the smooth tires do and they experienced less understeer as well.
How heavy is the 10.75? I am currently running 33" Shaved Baja Pro's but have been tempted to run the 10.75's instead. My tires tend to kick up a good amount of sand when turning.

The 10.75-15 weighs in at 36 lbs. These are great fronts since they cut through the bumps rather then bouncing off them and they throw sand away from the car instead of in your face.

The new 33" STU front tire is 33" as well and is 21 lbs. I have a feeling it will be a great replacement for the M/T given its look and size. Definitely check it out the sand show. We will have one mounted so you can feel the weight and get the full effect.

The 10.75-15 weighs in at 36 lbs. These are great fronts since they cut through the bumps rather then bouncing off them and they throw sand away from the car instead of in your face.

The new 33" STU front tire is 33" as well and is 21 lbs. I have a feeling it will be a great replacement for the M/T given its look and size. Definitely check it out the sand show. We will have one mounted so you can feel the weight and get the full effect.
Currently running the STU 10.5-17 on a 6.5" wheel. My rear setup is STU 33 #2 on a 8" wheel so they are a bit taller (solid 35"). STU has the 12.5-17 listed at 37" tall. Do you have an actual tire height on this tire by chance? I'm considering just running those with my 33's but I don't want it to loo stupid. LOL

The tire height for the 12.50-17 is correct. That tire was designed to pair with the 36-17 Sand Blaster and the 35.5 Sand Master Which are both huge considering thats the Carcass height and excludes paddle height... not sure how tall the 12.50-17 would be mounted on a 6.5" wheel. Its recommended on 8"-9", so I would imagine there might be some growth.

I talked with Brandon at SANDCRAFT and he has a buffed mohawk that weighs 22 pounds that I am going to pick up at the sand show. I will try them out if I don’t like the Mohawks I will have him buff them off.
I tried these, along with their 8 cup destroyer paddles at their demo day this spring. They were light, wide and tall. I really appreciated the extra ground clearance and flotation in the really soft stuff (my car is a “dual sport and is fairly heavy) but there just wasn’t enough bite from the fronts to steer when on power. Climbing up a dune and trying to steer was impossible. The owner was interested in my feedback so I took him out for a rip. We went up and down with air pressure and just couldn’t get them to steer on my car. I wanted to like them, I really did. I thought the rears were very decent but they didn’t slide as predictably as my STUs. For reference, my car is setup with 10.50 -17 tri rib fronts and 33-15 blasters in the rear.

The orange beadlock setup is Sandcrafts demo set.

Attachments

• IMG_2989.jpeg
    IMG_2989.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2987.jpeg
    IMG_2987.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Resized_Screenshot_20240331_095315_Gallery.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20240331_095315_Gallery.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 17
I run tires that Rogue buffed for me on the front of my Chenowth Explorer. They're the Mickey Thompson Baja Pros though, not sure if that matters. It's the middle size one, about a 33" I believe. I bet the 35" would come in at 34" after buffing? I love 'em! Plus I dig how they look too. Here's a pic:
Dumont 02.jpg

Last edited:
I tried these, along with their 8 cup destroyer paddles at their demo day this spring. They were light, wide and tall. I really appreciated the extra ground clearance and flotation in the really soft stuff (my car is a “dual sport and is fairly heavy) but there just wasn’t enough bite from the fronts to steer when on power. Climbing up a dune and trying to steer was impossible. The owner was interested in my feedback so I took him out for a rip. We went up and down with air pressure and just couldn’t get them to steer on my car. I wanted to like them, I really did. I thought the rears were very decent but they didn’t slide as predictably as my STUs. For reference, my car is setup with 10.50 -17 tri rib fronts and 33-15 blasters in the rear.

The orange beadlock setup is Sandcrafts demo set.
Good information here. This is what I was looking for. Sounds Like I will be sticking with the Razors.

Back