Buffed Tires

FIREMAN

Reaction score
Anyone run Rogue buffed front steer tires on a Sandcar before? I have had extreme 8.80 forever and want a slightly bigger tire with out the weight of the STU 10.50 

The Extreme 8.80 was 32” tall and very light weight. 

The STU is 33” tall and heavy 

The rogue is 34” tall and very light weight 

I do not have 2” hollows but have King Kong spindles. What are your thoughts.  

Jetjock ran them on his full potential with no issues, and ran a skat on the rear, 

Did you consider dropping off a set of tires to Skattrack they buff tires for pretty cheap, 

Last edited by a moderator:
What about using buffed Baja pro’s? Mine are very light feeling. 
I would like a 33-34 inch tire but light weight due to having King Kong spindles.  But I have never had a buffed tire.  

After running the 4 rib stu, I ran the STI 32x12x15 on my 2600 lb car for years no problem. Much lighter but had to air up. Nice thing is their only $140

What about some of the SxS front tires for a 15" rim?  I run the Tusk/Rocky Mountain 32/15 single rib on my SxS's and like it.  I would definitely run it on a light sand car.

Do you think running a 35” buffed tire is too much on a King Kong spindle? 
Depends on driving style. I have 2" hollows and throw my 3500lb car hard into corners trying to keep up with all the Funco's in our group. The side load is common break point.

I had a Chenowth Genesis with combo spindles and ran 33" BFG Mud Terrain tires. Preran a lot in Barstow and Lucerne. Didn't dune it many times and don't remember what sand tires I had. Never broke a spindle.

If they are a quality spindle design and construction I think it’s doable. But it will depend on driving style. 

Broke a combo spindle last season and have ran 35" Baja Pros for 18 years.

But we drive hard.

yes,  it will be an issue.  I think you are on the right track with your first question.   The Baja pros are heavy tires and I was thinking the same as you on my Funcos.  

I went with a set of Yokohama 33" and had em buffed. I wanted M.T.'s but they are hard to come by these days.

20230531_121618.jpg

Reviving this thread so we can see FIREMAN's avatar more... 

Seriously though, I'm looking at the Rogue 35"-17 buffed front right now as an option for my steer tires. Anyone have any feedback?

I'm running STU 33"-17 #2's on an 8" wheel in the rear. This gives me about a 35" overall height. With the STU 10.5-17 up front, the tire looks small and narrow. My last 2 sand cars had razors up front but I'm thinking this car can run a buffed front. I would really like to get a true 35" tire up front.

I don't think the 36-17/12.5-17 combo is right for my setup. I would likely have to regear my transaxle to pull that big of a rear tire. 

IMG_5764.JPG

Back