Budget Sand Tires

confyushus

Reaction score
Hey guys, almost posted this question in the SS360 thread below but decided to just start one. I'm picking up a turbo r on the way to glamis for Thanksgiving and want to get paddles before I get there. I only get to ride sand 1-2 times per year so I don't want to spend a lot, just looking for a good budget set. I already have a set of wide 15" wheels to mount them on. Looking really hard at the SS360HP tires and had thought about the tusk sand lites, but think I might overpower the tusks (especially after I start modding). I drive really, really, aggressively, 2wd 95% of the time (china wall is about the only time I use 4wd), and use the throttle to help steer so I like it to be a little loose in the rear when I want, but still be able to pull hard going straight when needed. I'm coming from an xp1k with sand drifters, which worked really well but they are discontinued. Sorry that was so long, any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

After puncturing a Skat with a stick, the wife got around fine on the stock Big Horns the X3 came with.  4WD was necessary, but otherwise fine.

After puncturing a Skat with a stick, the wife got around fine on the stock Big Horns the X3 came with.  4WD was necessary, but otherwise fine.
Yep. Also a self proclaimed “aggressive driver” that’s stepped up from a 1000cc to a turbo 1000 and likes to “steer with the throttle” can do way more than just get around on stock dirt tires. There’s a group of Utards (Utah boys) I ran with a few times in G that were very fast (for golf carts).

Yep. Also a self proclaimed “aggressive driver” that’s stepped up from a 1000cc to a turbo 1000 and likes to “steer with the throttle” can do way more than just get around on stock dirt tires. There’s a group of Utards (Utah boys) I ran with a few times in G that were very fast (for golf carts).
Yep, she's following a bunch of buggies

I ran the stock bighorns on the xp for a year or 2, did ok but had more wheelspin than I was wanting so I got the drifters which have done well. I can't remember what this one comes with stock, but was expecting at least the same amount of wheelspin.

I wish I wasn't so far away from you guys. I bought a set of 32" CST sandblast tires on sale then bought a sandcar, so I'd like to off load them. 

Where do you live and what would you need for them, I'm between Denver and fort Collins CO. Has anyone run the SS360 tires using primarily 2wd? Everyone seems to comment on them using 4wd.

I ran the stock bighorns on the xp for a year or 2, did ok but had more wheelspin than I was wanting so I got the drifters which have done well. I can't remember what this one comes with stock, but was expecting at least the same amount of wheelspin.
I get it but to me the sand “budget tires”  aren’t enough of an improvement to justify the cost / hassle of buying / switching them on / off. I run the STU “Tribute” tires on my XP-4 1000 Turbo. The STUs are head and shoulders above the “budget” Pro Armor tires that I had picked up to “get by.”

Three things I try and go “top shelf” on, sunglasses, chicks and tires.

Where do you live and what would you need for them, I'm between Denver and fort Collins CO. Has anyone run the SS360 tires using primarily 2wd? Everyone seems to comment on them using 4wd.
Eastern Montana. I'd like $400 for the set. PM sent.

My buddy did when his front drive shaft had an issue. He never got stuck. He’s a good driver so he just kept his momentum. 

Two things.  I assume you know the Turbo R is 5 lug not 4.  I run the Tusk tires on my stage 1 chipped/exhaust Turbo S (My turbo R4 arrives next week).  I like the fronts for the center rib, good flotation, cheap price (don't expect much 'pull' from them in 4wd, but steering is great).  IMO the rears are better for a XP1000 than a Turbo S/R as I seem to overpower them.  On the flip side; I've never broken a belt in the Turbo S although I have smelled it climbing choke cherry in St. Anthony's.

That's actually really helpful, I thought they might be underpaddled for the turbo. I guess after reading everyone's comments I should have said a good value tire instead of budget. Either way, thank you all for the recommendations and help so far!

That's actually really helpful, I thought they might be underpaddled for the turbo. I guess after reading everyone's comments I should have said a good value tire instead of budget. Either way, thank you all for the recommendations and help so far!
We have the Tusk Lites on the X3 now as well. Hook up pretty well and are very light. 

CST Sandblasters, Tusk Lites, Tensor sand tires, and SS360 are your best bet.   All work well and do not kill the pocket book.   

As you like to run in 2wd I would probably skip the SS360s as those are designed around 4wd.   

I would say Tensors. I have two buddies running 33 in tensors on there Pro R and love them.

Isn't there a board sponsor who is a vendor in G that rents out paddles sets for SUVs.  Maybe hit him up ?

I ran the ss360 on my xpt. I drove mainly in 2wd. If you like to run loose, this is the set up!

I get it but to me the sand “budget tires”  aren’t enough of an improvement to justify the cost / hassle of buying / switching them on / off. I run the STU “Tribute” tires on my XP-4 1000 Turbo. The STUs are head and shoulders above the “budget” Pro Armor tires that I had picked up to “get by.”

Three things I try and go “top shelf” on, sunglasses, chicks and tires.
https://youtu.be/89EwRKhgJ4E?si=E63JUwxMjiodmmjH

Back