Boston Butt

Jmhanson

Reaction score
Smoking a butt is easy and all you need is a Weber grill and a light flavored wood for smoke, I use apple. 
This takes about 8-9 hours total. 
3-4 tablespoons of your favorite pork rub liberally coating all sides. 
1/2 cup each of apple juice and apple cider vinegar for basting every few hours. 
Ok, keep the temps 250-275 and throw on a couple chunks of soaked apple wood on your coals.  Place a drip pan under your butt with the fat cap up and have a beer!  Pay attention to your temps or you might be cooking for 14 hours instead of 8. 
Once you hit internal temp of 190, double wrap in foil for an hour, open it up and pull apart with forks, mixing in some bbq sauce (or homemade mop sauce) and the pan drippings. Throw a generous amount on a toasted Kaiser roll and top with bbq sauce and slaw. Best thing ever and blows away any bbq joint. 

8799242C-1788-4645-9FC6-2654272FAD16.jpeg

I do pretty much the same process, just on a pellet smoker, so I don't need to monitor the temp much.  Love it on a sweet bread bun and some home made slaw. I make my slaw not sweet, so it works perfectly with the sweet roll

Why are you trapping juices? That chunk 'o meat is lookin' good!

I'm an MES 30 guy myself, for simplicity sake, but hey, smoking is smoking. Until December when I retire for the second time, then we may re address the situation!

I'm an MES 30 guy myself, for simplicity sake, but hey, smoking is smoking. Until December when I retire for the second time, then we may re address the situation!
Looks like a water pan to help keep temp steady.

I do pretty much the same process, just on a pellet smoker, so I don't need to monitor the temp much.  Love it on a sweet bread bun and some home made slaw. I make my slaw not sweet, so it works perfectly with the sweet roll
Never tried a pellet smoker but I like easy!  Had a lot of problems with keeping temp but it always turns out no matter. 

I kept a bit of water underneath and pour some drippings back when I pull it at the end. When I move to a more permanent location I’ll be getting into a legit smoker or at least a high end charcoal grill like PK to control temps better. 

Makes sense. Thought maybe you captured the juices to make a sauce. Looking for ideas on a homemade sauce using those smoky seasoned fat drippings!

I do have a water tray in the MES, just threw me off seeing it in an open grill. 

Makes sense. Thought maybe you captured the juices to make a sauce. Looking for ideas on a homemade sauce using those smoky seasoned fat drippings!

I do have a water tray in the MES, just threw me off seeing it in an open grill. 
Maybe try use the drippings the same way you would schmaltz?  You could use it to cook eggs or put on toast or whatever and it should last a long time in the fridge.

not hard, add brown sugar, Jack Daniel's, maybe some white wine vinegar and boil for 5 minutes, then season to taste................sauces are fun to make.  Sometimes I will add some premade barbeque sauce to help with consistency.

Doing a butt tomorrow on the new Pit Boss.  My first pellet smoker.

Still have lots of questions on pellet smokers.  Need to start a thread soon.

The pork butts I buy are usually really round, so I cut them into 2" slabs to get more smoke flavor into the meat.

The advantage of a pellet smoker is obviously precise temp. control. The disadvantage of a pellet smoker is it uses a lot of hot air to transfer heat, as opposed to direct heat from a stick burner. My first couple of cooks ended in meat a lot drier than I liked, so I added a water tray that also collects drippings (to keep the smoker cleaner.) I've also switched to wrapping the meat for the last hour.

Does that thing basically feed itself based on temp? Never used one before. 

Back