Big Block

bkuips

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking at a car with a 632 and twins.  I have always had LS motors so i am curious to the down side of the Big Block if there is any.  I know parts are harder to get out in Glamis if something comes up.  I am more looking for relevance to duning the car and if they are major problems.

I did maintenance on a Double throwdown, it had a bigblock with Redline Valve covers but was not a redline motor, it had bend con rods in it, so it needed to be rebuilt, when they rebuilt it, they put a small lift cam so it did not beat on the drivetrain or the valves, then is meshed to a S4,  2 years now with no issues, He does not rap it out they shift the car around 4800-5000

Someone recently asked the same thing.

Maybe do a search?

A big block adds weight to the back of the car and usually more torque, which is hard on the drivetrain. Nothing wrong with a big block, just a different animal. 

Big blocks don't seem to live long in the sand. Danzio has the best combo out with the P600 and P620 and race proven in Baja.

My buddy, former board member, has a 632cui Merlin big block with dual 94mm turbos. Capable of 3000hp, tuned for 1200hp and drivable. The cars eats CVs about every other trip.

Big blocks don't seem to live long in the sand. Danzio has the best combo out with the P600 and P620 and race proven in Baja.

My buddy, former board member, has a 632cui Merlin big block with dual 94mm turbos. Capable of 3000hp, tuned for 1200hp and drivable. The cars eats CVs about every other trip.
Have him reach out to me next time he needs CVs, I'll give him a smoking deal. I just want to see how mine hold up.

Just curious, what CVs is he running? That wear rate sounds excessive even for a big car with torque. 
934 GKN 33 spline, chromoly cage, Fortin star. 3800lb car. He's a duner, not in the Sand Hwy Mafia club.

Car on the right.

Screenshot_20230113_113337_Gallery.jpg

I run the same setup but cryo treat everything (makes a huge difference). Unfortunately the GNK material is as soft as butter until you cryo treat them. I have a set of proam cvs ready for my class 1 that I am going to try, which look far superior. Might also give the Gear One's a shot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Have him reach out to me next time he needs CVs, I'll give him a smoking deal. I just want to see how mine hold up.
Can i get a smoking deal too lol.  I dont have a big block but need to do cvs on my NA 425 CBM ha.

I have 3 Big blocks Motors out there, the oldest is about 7 years running, natural Asp, the other is around the same time also natural asp, both on Mefi's, Holley would be better, the last one is a twin turbo,  about 4 years old now,  

Really depends on how they are built,  I have no issues with them, but to build them to last the price will be up there,  it take a great set of rods, rods run about $2000 and a crank that last is $6000,  you have to run a lower lift cam then most would run on the street or in a boat, 

And then everyone wants to put a big boat pan on it,  this is a major no no,  to much oil sloshing around from to back,  it needs a truck pan with side sumps, or a dry sump is the best, 

Using a Ferrea Valves and then you are good to go,  

Just like anything else, being cheap on a big block will give it a bad rep,  

Back