Big block vs LS, turbo vs supercharged

415ci to 440ci with Whipple… 6-8lbs..…. call it a DAY!

abc

Big blocks are garbage heavy low RPM dogs.. use them for towing 

View attachment 51276
My 416 Alper with a whipple 2.9 is an absolute blast to drive.  I have a giant intercooler water to air and make 6-8 Psi.  Single belt that costs $26.  Whats funny is I use less fuel this year then last because I have the extra torque to run my 3-5 gears where normally I would need to down shift to keep pace (or in the fun zone).  It will also wheelie on command.  :) I think it's the perfect dune combo.  

My 416 Alper with a whipple 2.9 is an absolute blast to drive.  I have a giant intercooler water to air and make 6-8 Psi.  Single belt that costs $26.  Whats funny is I use less fuel this year then last because I have the extra torque to run my 3-5 gears where normally I would need to down shift to keep pace (or in the fun zone).  It will also wheelie on command.  :) I think it's the perfect dune combo.  
I’ll tell you what.. I’ve said it before, my dream motor is an alper built 416 or 440. I bet your motor is awesome with that whipple on it. 

I’ll tell you what.. I’ve said it before, my dream motor is an alper built 416 or 440. I bet your motor is awesome with that whipple on it. 
The couple we did right now, is a 445 using a Mast Block 11.0 on E85 with a 4.0 whipple 16lbs, and it made 850 at the wheels 4th gear at 2950 RPM's for @sandroosten

Then @Squatcher 445ci with a comp of 9.5 on 93 octane made 1000 to the crank on a engine dyno, insta HP, 

The couple we did right now, is a 445 using a Mast Block 11.0 on E85 with a 4.0 whipple 16lbs, and it made 850 at the wheels 4th gear at 2950 RPM's for @sandroosten

Then @Squatcher 445ci with a comp of 9.5 on 93 octane made 1000 to the crank on a engine dyno, insta HP, 
Dunned with The Squatcher... That car wheelies on demand... I need one!!

Do you know what prematurely failed on those engines? I’ve run a big block in a boat for years with very little maintenance. My theory was it had way more power than I needed which resulted in me not running the crap out of it. Just trying to understand why that theory would not apply to sandcars.
Our big block racer had oiling problems. If I was in a bowl getting some G’s the oil pressure would drop. A dry sump system should fix that but they have their own issues. I know the guy LRS is talking about uses the titan oil pump and it maintains 50 psi of oil pressure hot at idle and has never dropped once. If you are going to do a big block I would run one of Danzio’s new ones. They have them figure out for off-roading. Out of all the motors I have ever driven the big block is my favorite. The right now power is much better even than a race gas blower motor. It’s not even comparable. I think a big boost Turbo LS has more top end but you need to be at 15PSI plus of boost for that to happen. Once you get above 20 psi of boost all of the big LS motors spend as much time in the shop as a big block. 

Our big block racer had oiling problems. If I was in a bowl getting some G’s the oil pressure would drop. A dry sump system should fix that but they have their own issues. I know the guy LRS is talking about uses the titan oil pump and it maintains 50 psi of oil pressure hot at idle and has never dropped once. If you are going to do a big block I would run one of Danzio’s new ones. They have them figure out for off-roading. Out of all the motors I have ever driven the big block is my favorite. The right now power is much better even than a race gas blower motor. It’s not even comparable. I think a big boost Turbo LS has more top end but you need to be at 15PSI plus of boost for that to happen. Once you get above 20 psi of boost all of the big LS motors spend as much time in the shop as a big block. 
The last BigBlock from Scott Extreme double Throw down was the Same weight as a LSX iron Block, If you do a bigbock with an Aluminum Block Aluminum Heads then the weight will be normal,  I think the real issue is the Cost of all good big block components, for example let me google some parts you would need 

• BBC crank $3500 - $7000   LS Crank $800 - $2900
  • Block is about $6700 with machine work 
  • To make a head that will work with the on and off throttle a set of heads is about $10,000
  • Jessel Rocker $2700
  • Dry Sump system $5000

I think without boost on a BBC you would be over 40K 

For the Same Weight you can do a 468 Tall Deck LSX for about $20,000 so i feel it is over half the price less 

Last edited by a moderator:
The last BigBlock from Scott Extreme double Throw down was the Same weight as a LSX iron Block, If you do a bigbock with an Aluminum Block Aluminum Heads then the weight will be normal,  I think the real issue is the Cost of all good big block components, for example let me google some parts you would need 

• BBC crank $3500 - $7000   LS Crank $800 - $2900
  • Block is about $6700 with machine work 
  • To make a head that will work with the on and off throttle a set of heads is about $10,000
  • Jessel Rocker $2700
  • Dry Sump system $5000

I think without boost on a BBC you would be over 40K 

For the Same Weight you can do a 468 Tall Deck LSX for about $20,000 so i feel it is over half the price less 
The P620 from Danzio is probably 70K with all the electronics but it makes 1200hp NA on good fuel. A used one was for sale on race desert for 60K a little while back. 

Back