Big block vs LS, turbo vs supercharged

D_C

Reaction score
Who has experience with both, both ways… Wondering how the big block Chevy with an aluminum block would be.  The torque sounds awesome, not sure if I’d feel the extra weight in a 3000lb 4 seater.  Thinking one with a blower sounds sweet, or maybe turbos?  I’ve only driven a 4 seat with a ls3 425 twin turbo on race gas ~1100hp for reference.

Don't see many big block builds anymore, mostly just big cube ls based stuff. That should already say something......

there are some ls builds out there close to 500 cubic inch. not much benefit to a big block bigger and more weight in the wrong place

Torque kills gear boxes.

Smaller engines and boost are faster.

What happened to all the "no replacement for displacement" thumpers out there? 

We gon' turbo the world Craig! 

Turbo diesels paved the way

Then turbo everything including mustangs, F150s, Civics, Chevy Cruzes', I mean the fkn Ford Fiesta has a turbo! Smaller engines, big boost and finding that reliability somewhere in the middle. Good times! 

A good buddy (used to be on this forum and how we met) has a 632" big block with twin 94mm (yes ninety four milimeter) Garrett turbos that are so big they are mounted to the chassis.  The engine is capable of +2500HP but it's de-tuned to be dunable at around 1200HP at the tires.  He used to have his own machine shop and followed the drag racing circuit before retiring and only builds his own stuff now.  The car is an SOC, very few built and it a very large sand car.  We both weighed ours cars a couple seasons ago and my dunebuggy.com Sidewinder was 3529lbs, his car was just over 3800lbs.  He dunes the chit outta this car, just spent 9 days with us for Thanksgiving.

Historically big blocks don't like the dunes but he makes his work.  It has so much torque it eats CV's about every other trip.  Why does he do it?  Because he can.  Danzio has the best combination for big blocks in off-roading.  Their P600 and P620 engines are race proven in Baja and last.  Someday I'll own one.

A few years ago lot of the AZ guys with Racer's had Bob Teague building their big block sandrail engines and they went back to Teague pretty often for maintenance.  They were not good BB's for the dunes.  

Big blocks don't live typically to the abuse of rpm at the dunes. 

A few years ago lot of the AZ guys with Racer's had Bob Teague building their big block sandrail engines and they went back to Teague pretty often for maintenance.  They were not good BB's for the dunes.  
Do you know what prematurely failed on those engines? I’ve run a big block in a boat for years with very little maintenance. My theory was it had way more power than I needed which resulted in me not running the crap out of it. Just trying to understand why that theory would not apply to sandcars.

I'm just imagining all the oil leaks and associated mess... :biggrin:

Years ago when people were beginning to adopt the LS platform; a lot of the guys were saying that it's not only the total weight hanging back there but the sheer reciprocating weight of the BB that makes the cars handle like chit.  That big, heavy crank makes the car not want to go left/right.  That is much less of a concern in boats.  In boats that HAVE to turn; they usually run the engine backwards so the massive inertia helps the boats set up in turns (thinking K/circle race boats).  Just my .02

Do you know what prematurely failed on those engines? I’ve run a big block in a boat for years with very little maintenance. My theory was it had way more power than I needed which resulted in me not running the crap out of it. Just trying to understand why that theory would not apply to sandcars.
I can't say exactly why they failed but I remember it having to do with the oiling system starving and not liking the back and fourth steering that sandrails do, similar to what @1newbie said.

Who has experience with both, both ways… Wondering how the big block Chevy with an aluminum block would be.  The torque sounds awesome, not sure if I’d feel the extra weight in a 3000lb 4 seater.  Thinking one with a blower sounds sweet, or maybe turbos?  I’ve only driven a 4 seat with a ls3 425 twin turbo on race gas ~1100hp for reference.
#1 question

what transaxle are you running? 

Have had dealings with 3 big blocks, 135 LS's, Turbos and superchargers.

Big blocks work good if they are done correctly, looking around 60K for Naturally aspirated and 75K for Supercharged  and 80K for Twin Turbo motor, 

I run a LSX 468 Tall Deck Natural on pump gas, beats a good amount of twin turbo ls2's  

Mats 445 on race fuel beat my torque by 40 at the wheels on lance dyno or 80 at the wheels on Redlines dyno,  

Most HP is built with Compression mine is 10.8  pump, and mats is 11.6 on E85, 

Turbos will cost about 20% more to do them correctly, turbos have a steep learning curve, Superchargers are good, but build alot of air temps and chuck belts time to time, 

What is the Budget, that is the first question i would ask 

I can't say exactly why they failed but I remember it having to do with the oiling system starving and not liking the back and fourth steering that sandrails do, similar to what @1newbie said.
Thanks for the information.

Years ago when people were beginning to adopt the LS platform; a lot of the guys were saying that it's not only the total weight hanging back there but the sheer reciprocating weight of the BB that makes the cars handle like chit.  That big, heavy crank makes the car not want to go left/right.  That is much less of a concern in boats.  In boats that HAVE to turn; they usually run the engine backwards so the massive inertia helps the boats set up in turns (thinking K/circle race boats).  Just my .02
That make sense, thanks for the explanation.

415ci to 440ci with Whipple… 6-8lbs..…. call it a DAY!

abc

Big blocks are garbage heavy low RPM dogs.. use them for towing 

703A62A5-1E07-4B11-A73E-C59D2C084B70.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back