Beadlock ring bolt torque

EastMT

Reaction score
How many inch or foot pounds do you torque the ring bolts to? Sand Limo brand wheels for reference. 

depends on the wheel and the bolts,  

Chinees grade 8 look a like bolts, torque to 5lbs,  

The Douglas with the steel double backer can torque a lot more than a aluminum threaded wheels,  and some blind hole wheel need the correct length bolt, 

I don't think Sand Limo makes a wheel.  Not that I have ever seen.

Post up a pix and we can tell you what you have.

Joe likes to use Douglas wheels, but everyone is different.

I don't think Sand Limo makes a wheel.  Not that I have ever seen.

Post up a pix and we can tell you what you have.

Joe likes to use Douglas wheels, but everyone is different.
I misspoke, the wheels have sand limo milled in the beadlock ring. I can’t remember who Joe said they were made by. IMG_0579.jpeg

Those look like centerline rings and CMS wheels.

Same as I have on my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
What diameter bolt are you using? 1/4” or 5/16”? 
Does your wheel have steel inserts for the bolt to thread into or is the wheel itself tapped?

What diameter bolt are you using? 1/4” or 5/16”? 
Does your wheel have steel inserts for the bolt to thread into or is the wheel itself tapped?
Crap, I won’t be back home for a few days. Will report back when I have those answers.

I got the following info a friend that has worked on many sand cars professionally over the years. I asked specifically about Douglas wheels, since that is what our car has.

Douglas Wheel Torque Specs: Beadlock bolts

• 8" - 12" dia: 5.5-7.5 ft-lb / 65-90 in-lb
  • 14" dia: 12-14 ft-lb / 144-168 in-lb
  • 15" - 17" dia: 15 ft-lb / 180 in-lb

Tighten down bead rings in star pattern.

I followed this and it worked well. It did take a few passes because each time I tightened one to 15 ft-lb, the one next to it would be a little loose. Make sure to make a few passes to be sure you got all bolts torqued properly.

I crank mine down like a mofo! I mean, my milwaukee 3/8 impact does. 
Be kind to that milwaukee. I saw a beadlock wheel that one of the bolts was torqued one ugga dugga more than a mofo and it broke. 

I got the following info a friend that has worked on many sand cars professionally over the years. I asked specifically about Douglas wheels, since that is what our car has.

Douglas Wheel Torque Specs: Beadlock bolts

• 8" - 12" dia: 5.5-7.5 ft-lb / 65-90 in-lb
  • 14" dia: 12-14 ft-lb / 144-168 in-lb
  • 15" - 17" dia: 15 ft-lb / 180 in-lb

Tighten down bead rings in star pattern.

I followed this and it worked well. It did take a few passes because each time I tightened one to 15 ft-lb, the one next to it would be a little loose. Make sure to make a few passes to be sure you got all bolts torqued properly.
Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Dry torque on a 5/16-18 bolt (typical deadlock bolt) is 25 ft. lbs. 

Work your way around that ring several times just getting the bolts set. I start with every other bolt until I start to seat the tire little by little. Once it gets close I set the torque wrench to 25 and work my way around until they are all tight (at least three times) as you tighten one it takes some of the load off the bolt next to it. Once everything is completely seated they will hold the torque. 

Take your time. It is a process to do it so it works and does not mess up your wheels or tires. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back