Banshee spitting coolant

I can't wait to find out now that MW has the passion!

Is it coincidence that when I camped with @Mac, I always spit out my coolant.  He brought the heat, fasho.

note: it was statement, not a kestion

Fwiw. Motocross bikes (crf450 types) state in the manual that it will lose a certain amount in a 30 minute moto and that is normal as the crfx put on the coolant recovery tank for that reason. The motocross er is trying to save weight. I’d always make a recovery tank with a turkey baster and mount behind radiator. It would fill up the turkey baster when hot and suck the fluid back in when cooling down. 

you could do that along with a new (good) radiator cap and see if the system is working normal before tearing off the head. 

I might be wrong, but I would think if it were a head gasket wouldn't you also have water going in the motor. Either ending up in case or going out the pipes?

I might be wrong, but I would think if it were a head gasket wouldn't you also have water going in the motor. Either ending up in case or going out the pipes?
Been down this road, one way small high presure air leak.  

What did MWB say..........................

you wont get water in the oil its a 2 stroke. cap might be the problem but if it got too hot a few time might also need the headgasket
I agree. The "oil" is not the engine in the 4-stroke sense, only the primary drive, clutch and transmission. The water jackets are only in the head and cylinder so the only possible way to get water in the oil is a bad water pump seal or the water pump housing rotting through (the first water-cooled Huskies had a magnesium clutch cover and this would happen, doesn't apply to a Banshee).I can't remember if the Banshee water pump has a weep hole (I think so), but if it does the coolant will just leak to the outside.

So, if there is a head gasket or base gasket leak it would leak directly out or end up in the combustion chamber, should leave a trace if going outside but I don't think you would know anything if it was leaking internally.

I would also suggest changing the cap first, especially since I think you said yours was old and dry. Cheap to do and could very well be the problem.

On a different note, I used to build Banshee desert racing motors for my buddy in the 90's and there is a gear from (IIRC) a 750 Yamaha street bike that you can change out for the stock 6th that really tightens up the ratio, so you can run a taller final drive w/o a huge bog into 6th. It requires a simple spacer but really helps out. Probably doesn't matter for the dunes but I thought I would throw it out there if you ever have to split your cases. Big help for the desert, keeps it on the pipes.

I put a new cap on and took it out last weekend. But we only ride the 70s.

I do plan to report back after Vets.

I agree. The "oil" is not the engine in the 4-stroke sense, only the primary drive, clutch and transmission. The water jackets are only in the head and cylinder so the only possible way to get water in the oil is a bad water pump seal or the water pump housing rotting through (the first water-cooled Huskies had a magnesium clutch cover and this would happen, doesn't apply to a Banshee).I can't remember if the Banshee water pump has a weep hole (I think so), but if it does the coolant will just leak to the outside.
My 1984 Husky did have this happen to it, sucked

Good deal. Like I said I did not smell any coolant being burned in your exhaust on the summer ride. 

Back