Banshee spitting coolant

Bansh88

Reaction score
2006 Banshee.  Stock motor.  

The last 2 trips this summer, I have lost about a 10oz of coolant from my radiator.  I have no coolant reservoir, I haven't since the bike was new.  The trips have been warm but not crazy hot like it has been in many times before.

Coolant spits out from the overflow tube.  Bike runs fine.  No overheating "symptoms".  Each trip was about 3 decent rides.

Is this an impeller issue?  Any ideas?

If you are filling it to the top, then I think it's normal. It needs a small air gap to expand and retract into. It may just be leveling itself is my .02 cents

Like said it may be normal. I know on my cr500 you fill to the top of fins and it won’t spit water out. Fill full

it will throw water out never had a heating problem with it. When I first got it it made me nervous til I talked to guys who rode them often. 

This is more than a gap.  The other Banshee (same rides) had a full radiator.  

I rarely check coolant but they've always been visibly above fins on both bikes I've had since 02 & 06.  

I changed oil last weekend and didn't see anything in the oil.

@Bansh88

Does it start puking out coolant right away, like to the point you convince yourself the bike is just barely warmed up how can it be overheating ? Is this the bike you just rebuilt ? 

If so your in need of a new head gasket.  Or you can do what I did and replace the impeller with the high flow one, throw a big Toomey radiator on it then go out and replace the radiator cap because the spring might be weak.....

Not the rebuild.  Stock top end.  Plan on a rebuild after this year.

Never see the fluid come out.  Must only be while on rides.  Honestly didn't pay a lot of attention.

Its a 2006 everything!  Never skipped a beat on the rides but when I got home it was down a bit.

The cap seals were very dry and stuck to radiator last week when I first noticed low coolant.

Not the rebuild.  Stock top end.  Plan on a rebuild after this year.

Never see the fluid come out.  Must only be while on rides.  Honestly didn't pay a lot of attention.
Still going to say head gasket.

Your not going to listen and still check things but I am telling you it will be the head gasket.

Still going to say head gasket.

Your not going to listen and still check things but I am telling you it will be the head gasket.
Wouldn't that cause coolant in the oil?  Or fouled plugs?

Like Jeff said, test the cap. That is where your coolant is bypassing and running out. Cheap fix and is common in autos. Add, when I had to go get a new cap for the shop, I would take my pressure tester and test new caps at the store. Many would fail, new, out of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not see signs of it burning coolant or smell it during the rides. Still could be head gasket. 

I would start with radiator cap. If good then test for head gasket. 

Wouldn't that cause coolant in the oil?  Or fouled plugs?
No all it takes it a tiny leak in the head gasket to add a little pressure from the cylinder into the cooling system and it pukes out coolant. You don't get coolant into the oil because of the size of the leak.

No all it takes it a tiny leak in the head gasket to add a little pressure from the cylinder into the cooling system and it pukes out coolant. You don't get coolant into the oil because of the size of the leak.
This !!!!... you could switch out the cap first (bad caps cause problems too) cycle it and see if it stops.......I think MWB is right though........BUT may be worth trying the cap first b4 diving into the gasket

:poule:

Did you change the Fuel ratio?  Maybe it is just running hotter than it used to for some reason?  Run it hard, check temp with a Infared reader............except I have no idea what it should be?

I have put external fans on all my bikes now, easy and at slow speeds helps cool it better.

This !!!!... you could switch out the cap first (bad caps cause problems too) cycle it and see if it stops.......I think MWB is right though........BUT may be worth trying the cap first b4 diving into the gasket

:poule:
Before buying a new cap because that won't help switch caps between bikes.  If the problem moves its the cap if it doesn't it's the 

EFFINNG HEAD GASKET

Back