Bands that do their replacement musicians dirty

Mac

Reaction score
I like to listen to music and look up the bands that I'm listening to for their history, documentaries and such.  

So listening to Kiss this morning, I have looked them up before but I looked them up again and it just hit me, Yes, Paul and Gene created this band but man...they have a heavy hand.  At times, good thing they did or Kiss would have been disbanded years ago during the Ace and Peter years.  But going through their history, man they do their replacement musicians dirty.  Reading up about Eric Carr...man they did him dirty.  Then Bruce Kulick and even Eric Singer...who is still with the band.  The only one they really haven't done dirty is Tommy Thayer.  Vinny Vincent kind of did it to himself.  Eric Carr was enthusiastic, loyal to the bone, would do anything they asked as if to gain respect and acceptance, something they didn't ever give him.  The dude was dying of brain cancer and still showed up to record songs and even do videos.  He was was with them 11 years.  Come on guys...

While Gene and Paul give all these musicians praise of some sort, they still viewed them all as discardable.  Maybe it is Ace and Peter's faults since they set the stage of what is takes and how you get rid of a founding member due to drugs, arrogance, whatever.  Shoot, there was a time that Paul almost got rid of Gene but the two of them have a very unique relationship/friendship.

I have a few more of these but figured I'd start here to see what else you guys have.

You speak truth. KISS is the textbook/encyclopedia set of a carousel of a band and how not to treat former members, no matter the reason they are no longer with the band.

My all time favorite band for many reasons and I get that some members brought things upon themselves due to substance abuse, but to still treat Ace like they do after he’s been clean and sober for so long is just plain a sick move. He even penned a little ditty about having learned from his mistakes. 

Kiss?  LOL

Last time they came through Phoenix they had to give tickets away to get people to show up.

There is a lot of history. One of the best moments ever for me (besides seeing them as a kid) was being front Row when they played at the Palms for the VH1 Rock Honors hall of fame and ACE came out with Slash.....Tommy Lee...Rob Zombie...Gilby....Scott

It was awesome / I was right in front of Slash!!!  What a show!

Tommy Thayer is amazing BUT I love Ace and Peter.....those were the best shows ever!!!!

:poule:

11FBBF98-F6C9-4082-BEC3-209B76803AEE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kiss?  LOL

Last time they came through Phoenix they had to give tickets away to get people to show up.
So did you get yours? One of the best shows you would have ever seen. Some of the things they’ve pulled out on this tour will be used by world wide touring acts for generations.

Metallica did some bad stuff to replacement bass player Jason Newsted.

Metallica did some bad stuff to replacement bass player Jason Newsted.
Yup.  And again, he was loyal, took it...never let the fans know until after he was gone and then someone else said something.

Another one is The Red Hot Chili Peppers.  

Hillel Slovak, their original guitarist deg of a heroin overdose.  After that They got John Frusciante who was only 18.  The rise to fame was too much and due to the Chilli Pepper lifestyle, he got addicted to heroin too.  He has gone back to the Chili Peppers a few times.  Mainly always citing the heavy schedule and touring as not healthy for him.  After John Frusciante's first departure, they brought on Dave Navarro.  Their album with him didn't do as well and they blamed him and fired him.  In the end since Navarro was already famous with Jane's Addiction and drugs, they claim the departure was mutual.  Then they got John Frusciante back and treated him better.

Funny, they have had a few drummers but Chad Smith has been their mainstay and no issues there.

Anthony Kiedis is a self admitted, long term drug addict.  Flea kept his drug addiction very private but I think we all knew anyway.  Dude has always looked like a meth head ready to pop.  He's very talented though.  I think we can all agree their issues are self-induced drug issues.

Another one is The Red Hot Chili Peppers.  

Hillel Slovak, their original guitarist deg of a heroin overdose.  After that They got John Frusciante who was only 18.  The rise to fame was too much and due to the Chilli Pepper lifestyle, he got addicted to heroin too.  He has gone back to the Chili Peppers a few times.  Mainly always citing the heavy schedule and touring as not healthy for him.  After John Frusciante's first departure, they brought on Dave Navarro.  Their album with him didn't do as well and they blamed him and fired him.  In the end since Navarro was already famous with Jane's Addiction and drugs, they claim the departure was mutual.  Then they got John Frusciante back and treated him better.

Funny, they have had a few drummers but Chad Smith has been their mainstay and no issues there.

Anthony Kiedis is a self admitted, long term drug addict.  Flea kept his drug addiction very private but I think we all knew anyway.  Dude has always looked like a meth head ready to pop.  He's very talented though.  I think we can all agree their issues are self-induced drug issues.
  You missed a whole decade of another guitarist . Klinghoffer replaced Frusciante in 2008 and they brought back Frusciante in 2019. Kinda sad how they let him go. Dude was the most humble, understanding guy in interviews after getting canned. 

Reactions: Mac
Tommy Thayer needs to write a book..  How interesting would that be... 

Gene and Paul turned one of the biggest bands into a business..  No other band has come close to what KISS created on the marketing side..  

Being in a band or being a orginal member of the band means nothing anymore.. Its all about who owns the name to the band...  Its a buisness and profits is all they care about..

How many folks on here are aware that the bass player is the only original member of Judas Priest? But they are still out there kicking some serious arse.

Reactions: Mac
I heard the band Digital Underground made the lead singer wear a huge fake nose when performing the band’s masterpiece “Humpty Dance.” Filthy!

What happened to Halford? I thought he was still singing?

Fun fact, my buddy is the drummer in KK's Priest. KK Downing's new band. Well at least he was on the debut record. Les Binks got injured and my buddy filled in.
thats cool

Back