B20 bio-diesel at the pump

We have had B20 for quite a while in Oregon, in fact I believe it is a requirement now. All the things mentioned here line up with what I found when looking into it. Higher lubricity, lower cetane, slightly lower mpg's, and it does clean the junk out of your system. Towing a trailer that was 16k Lbs I would notice about a 2 mpg decrease when burning B20. But it was initially cheaper than dino diesel by about 40 cents a gallon. But as time went on, the bio ended up being about the same as dino fuel. I never had any issues with it burning it for about 100k miles.

One benefit of the lubricity is it may help with cp4 pumps? My understanding was that a lot of the failures were caused by lack of lubricity in low sulphur dino fuel? But I'm far from a diesel mechanic so I am just passing on what I've read.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't paying attention and filled up my 2021 450hp Cummins coach with Bio.  Since it is a new coach, I contacted Cummins because I was concerned about the warranty.  They advised me to never use it as it can gum up the injectors.  

B20 is 20% bio u can us that in any diesel truck chevron station r the only ones doing it rt now I know arco, shell , mobile ,76 r using Low sulfur ultra diesel which is cleaner rt now but will be changing soon and E85 is a total diff kinda gas a flex fuel gas 85% ethanol and 15% gas 

I personally am staying away from anything more than B20 in my Duramax. I know VW for example does not approve of anything more than B5 for their common rail TDI engines. I believe Ford says up to B20 is ok but not above that.

Good friend of mine drives a 2019 F350 6.7PSD for work and puts on a LOT of miles driving mostly freeway all over CA. He hand calculates the fuel mileage with every tank and knows his truck very well. Several times now has had to put that R99 or whatever form Chevron and noticed his fuel mileage dropped from around 19 to 12 and the power of the truck is way down. Each time after running those tanks down he filled back with regular #2 diesel and the mileage immediately returned to normal and power came back up. Side note; he also runs the HPR diesel from Propel Fuels from time to time and has never noticed any mileage or power differences with that fuel so he was quite surprised with how the Chevron fuel affected his truck.

I've run two tanks full of R99 in my LBZ duramax back to back. It's super quiet and smoother running but mileage is way down for me, roughly 3-4 mpg, and I didn't tow on either tank. Next tank full will be back to #2. Problem is my local Chevron stopped selling #2 and switched to the R99. Time to find another gas station. I have run one tank full of the HPR diesel and didn't notice anything good or bad but the station is a little out of my way.

Last edited by a moderator:
my 06 Dodge CUMMINS loves the B20. I get better milage and it seams to run smother (not shake). If I have the choice I always get the BIO

I have a17 Ram and the book states no B20 only B5 that being said I've and notice a small drop in power and mileage with B20.

Back