At the dunes with a split radiator. You guys think there is any way to repair this out here to get me a couple more days?

onanysunday

Reaction score
That split is about 1 inch long. I have dug out some of the cooling fins. I could dig out the cooling fans all the way to the other side. Cut clear through that tube. Then fold each side over on itself. Then J-B weld it all up. I don't know if it's worth trying to put all back together and do that or not. Hate to leave when the dunes are this epic.

20211215_140707.jpg

By the way I did open the split up with a pick.

That split is about 1 inch long. I have dug out some of the cooling fins. I could dig out the cooling fans all the way to the other side. Cut clear through that tube. Then fold each side over on itself. Then J-B weld it all up. I don't know if it's worth trying to put all back together and do that or not. Hate to leave when the dunes are this epic.

20211215_140707.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What if I J-B weld that area inside the gap? Then start taking aluminum foil with J-B weld and wrap several layers over it?

I doubt JB Weld will be a good temp fix. Needs to go to a radiator shop and have the tube pinched off and epoxied.

Remove the fins on the top and bottom of the cracked tube. Grab a pair of needle nose pliers, crimp the tube and role the tube back in either direction. If you still have a small seep, crack a couple eggs into the radiator and I bet it seals up fine. 

I have had good luck with JB Weld on radiators, it held for a couple of years.  But maybe there is a place in Yuma that can repair, I have had good luck getting things fixed in Yuma.

FYI, it looks cracked on the tube just below as well.

FYI, it looks cracked on the tube just below as well.
Two tubes down, but yes.

ETA, 2x on Joe, but he might not be there until Friday.  Might be able to go to a hardware store in Brawley and pick up a propane torch and some plumbing solder.

JB weld will do fine, just let it fully cure. fixed a few aluminum rads this way. some were temporary, others started as temporary and became permanent fixes. 

fold over the fins and crimp or clamp, had a fan go through a radiator out in moab we folded each one that was bad and continued on

Well this radiator has a lot of years on it and has been beat to death. So much sand slit up under from sliding it had smashed a bunch of the fins over. I remember spending over 8 hours taking a little wood stir stick and pushing from the front through the back to clean the fins up to at least let air flow through it. It cools just fine. Anyway I took needlenose and bent both split areas over. Then JB welded the area and went a roll over on each side to make a big block to hopefully hold in place. Tried to shove a little bit of JB weld down into those splits to. I'm thinking it may hold. Putting it back together and we'll let it sit overnight. It's either holds water or doesn't. Hero or zero

20211215_153759.jpg

20211215_161019.jpg

20211215_161556.jpg

I have used JB weld on a couple different radiator repairs similar to this and it lasted for years. JB Weld has my vote

2 minute fix. Just cut the tube and fold it back over itself a few times and pinch tight with needle nose pliers. No JB Weld needed. Done and done

Back