Arizonans (and others) will need a California green sticker starting in 2022

azyxzer

Reaction score
Actually, Utah started this and other states followed.

I woke with BLM over Vets.  They said they will be selling these at the ranger station on Gecko.

What about "street legal"  AZ registrations? Will they still require permits?

This plate YES, legal no permit

60c3f2007e066.image.jpg

This plate maybe, since it's not OHV. My guess would be based on the vehicle yes/no. Any SxS you better have the permit.

AZ2003MCExcMinus.jpg

This plate NO, due to OHV need the permit

az2014ohv.jpg

GOOD LUCK finding a LEO who would actually know the differences. Easier to write the ticket and make you prove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had heard that this was possibly coming but I just found out that it passed (it looks like in October):

https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/OHV Information Bulletin State Reciprocity AB 232.pdf

As much as I like to complain, I guess Arizona started it...

Looks like $30 for the permit, but I'm sure the fine for not having one is a whole lot more. I guess the permit is not for a specific vehicle?

https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1012/files/DPR346.pdf
Reading that form, there is the $30 sticker for Out of State residents to use.....not new, just no more reciprocity.

But the OHMVR Vehicle Day Use Annual Pass for $50 to use "State Operated" day use areas....Glamis is not one (Federal) but will this be required at Ocotillo, Hungry Valley, Oceano, etc?...reads like it will.

Reading that form, there is the $30 sticker for Out of State residents to use.....not new, just no more reciprocity.

But the OHMVR Vehicle Day Use Annual Pass for $50 to use "State Operated" day use areas....Glamis is not one (Federal) but will this be required at Ocotillo, Hungry Valley, Oceano, etc?...reads like it will.
So the way you read it that sense Glamis ( ISDRA) is federal land the out of state permit will not be required. That would make sense the green sticker funds are not used in the ISDRA. 

If you vehicle isn't street legal, and you are from out of state, you will have to pony up and pay.

This particular case was AZ's fault. The son of one of the zonie politicians got into it with BLM and got a ticket, went home and bitched to dad who started the chain of events that led to no reciprocity.

Lots of questions about this at the expo last weekend. 

The actual item required by Jan 1 isn't available yet, would be different than the CA OHV parks one or anything already available.

It's a friggin mess and between you and me, I don't believe anyone will be enforcing come Jan 1 and I'd be surprised if it wasn't rectified and reciprocity restored before next season.

This particular case was AZ's fault. The son of one of the zonie politicians got into it with BLM and got a ticket, went home and bitched to dad who started the chain of events that led to no reciprocity.

The actual item required by Jan 1 isn't available yet, would be different than the CA OHV parks one or anything already available.

It's a friggin mess and between you and me, I don't believe anyone will be enforcing come Jan 1 and I'd be surprised if it wasn't rectified and reciprocity restored before next season.
On top of this, most California's (including some law enforcement) think because any vehicle has a plate, it is legal everywhere.  AZ gives a plate out for everything, but all are not equal.  You see it a lot issues with dual sport Motorcycles.

no reciprocity was started in 2019 by Utah.

Utah has been doimg this too.IMO was surprised it took ca so long to do so but this was one thing they got right states that dont recognize ca's registration are only ones they are taking it out on which is fair.

We purchased the one for Idaho,  no one asked for it but we did it just in case, you need one for Nevada but i dont think anyone ever does it,  

Pre-AZ-OHV tag days when you had to buy these, enforcement was lax so we weren’t very diligent in keeping our tags up to date, then we pissed off the rangers by doing a bunch of sobe bombs in the washes (one blew up and started a bush on fire…) and then they towed every vehicle in camp without a CA out of state tag whether it was registered legally in AZ or not. Was like 6 of the 18 bikes and rails we had in camp. Over $2500 in tow fees, storage, fines and had to get titles from Yuma offsite title place for AZ proof of ownership, then to Brawley for tow release docs, then to el centro to tow yard…. I’ll be buying the 5 CA tags for my fleet and NOT risking it again… lol

So then can we quit buying the AZ OHV tag if it is a dunes only vehicle and ridden in Cali? My buggy and MC are that way. That is $25 each vehicle so if we don't need it any longer it will basically be a wash. 

So then can we quit buying the AZ OHV tag if it is a dunes only vehicle and ridden in Cali? My buggy and MC are that way. That is $25 each vehicle so if we don't need it any longer it will basically be a wash. 
It has been my experience that if you let your OHV tag lapse, AZMVD increases your vehicle license tax from $3.00 to whatever the depreciated MSRP on the vehicle you're trying to re-new is. So it goes up a bit from the current $5.45 annual fee. Check it out before you let them lapse. Either way, the Government's going to take as much of your money as it can.

They should do this for CA beaches also...........................................😝

Back