Anyone converted over to electric PS from hydraulic on a big car?

Ok, can we talk about me for a little?

I have a 4 seat SU car and I’m thinking of EPS but also want to replace the rack and pinion as they are ~20 years old. No noticeable play in them but I ride with who I bought the car from and he drove the living crap out of it.  Any ideas what I should look at?  I don’t have a hood so I’d rather not have an actuator up at the steering wheel but that’s not a deal breaker.  

Me me me  me Meeeeeee!
Give me a call (623-934-6913) or shoot me an email (parker@gear-one.com) and we can see if I got something that will work for you.

For those who have done this, what do you replace the pump pulley with on an LS engine to keep the serpentine belt configuration? (LS2 specifically)?

Just for you do it yourself kinda guys, the unit from a Chevy trailblazer on saturn vue is the one 99% of people use, I got mine from the local pick a part on half price day for something crazy like $27. 

be aware it is not a simple bolt it and go type deal, the input shaft is super long from the factory so it has to be cut down and a splined adapter welded on. And a seal installed. The knob and wiring are available online for around $80 if I remember correctly, the u joints are made by sweet mfg. 

If you like to do stuff yourself, its not super difficult, I did mine and it works perfectly. If you don't like to fuss with it, or just want it faster, get the kit from Harvey. I think his price is more then fair, and he usually has them ready to go.

I have installed them on Baja bugs. Owners seem to be happy with them. I believe they purchased from Kartek. Came with everything you needed from what I remember. They are  a bit unsightly if you don't have a hood. As state by some one else make sure you have plenty of alternator for it. 

One thing to note you will still need a good rack. 

I do know a buddy that had EPS lock up. Could not steer at all. This was about 6 or 7 years ago so they may be better now. I would not call them failsafe but I guess nothing is.

I have installed them on Baja bugs. Owners seem to be happy with them. I believe they purchased from Kartek. Came with everything you needed from what I remember. They are  a bit unsightly if you don't have a hood. As state by some one else make sure you have plenty of alternator for it. 

One thing to note you will still need a good rack. 

I do know a buddy that had EPS lock up. Could not steer at all. This was about 6 or 7 years ago so they may be better now. I would not call them failsafe but I guess nothing is.
My original eps locked up, hit a big hole, bent a front arm, and the eps completely locked. Could not steer at all. I thought the rack had broke, but it was just the eps. Turns out the one that was on my car was only 250 watt. Way to small, so I did the 650 watt unit, keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.....

the thought of switching to eps sits in my head.. what would be the rack to use going from this? car is heavy, tires are big..

P1010057.JPG

rail first trip 003.jpg

After researching everything and seeing the feedback here, I decided to stay with hydraulic unit - going with the GearOne 2.5 unit.  The EPS unit I was looking at was large and unsightly and when combined with having to fab a new mount, cut and weld the steering shaft, change out serpentine system, and likely having go to a larger alternator I didn't think I'd be much further ahead from a cost or performance perspective.

Does anyone know the typical amperage draw for one of these units? Worried I might not have enough alternator (130 amps, Honda) to run this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know the typical amperage draw for one of these units? Worried I might not have enough alternator (130 amps) to run this. 
I think mine has a 60 Amp fuse. No problem running it with a stock alt.

Does anyone know the typical amperage draw for one of these units? Worried I might not have enough alternator (130 amps, Honda) to run this. 
You will be fine. I ran it with a stock alt with 4 xl80s and 30” light bar and never had power issues. 

the thought of switching to eps sits in my head.. what would be the rack to use going from this? car is heavy, tires are big..

View attachment 11826

View attachment 11827
Howe makes that rack without the ram, however, I feel your car is too much for eps. Hell, I feel my car is borderline. I know there are guts doing it, maybe someone makes a larger unit than what we are all using? Me personally, I'd stick to what you got. I'd rather have your set up, if it breaks its what I will replace it with....

Howe makes that rack without the ram, however, I feel your car is too much for eps. Hell, I feel my car is borderline. I know there are guts doing it, maybe someone makes a larger unit than what we are all using? Me personally, I'd stick to what you got. I'd rather have your set up, if it breaks its what I will replace it with....
Newest SCU to be completed has electric power steering with the howe rack.  Big car, big tires, and big power.

im probably gonna stick with what i got as cost doesnt make sense for what id gain. the issue i have with my cars steering is its not easy to turn unless im in higher rpms. so ill need to at the least mess with ps pumps, and pulley size. the servo i have is supposedly the one that provides the least effort for steering but maybe its not working as it should?  i also have 1500lbs of the cars weight on the front tires combined. so that is probably a factor as well. during my rebuild i am moving weight more towards the rear to get a bias more like a rear engine car.

Unless you're constantly turning, should have plenty of alternator for it, dipping into battery reserve sometimes, then recharging when you stop turning.

im probably gonna stick with what i got as cost doesnt make sense for what id gain. 
Exact same conclusion I came to.  Plus, I personally didn't like the routing the belt would have had without the PS pulley on my LS.  I know guys run it that way no problem but it didn't look like a lot of contact with the crank pulley.  I would have hated to spend the money and do the fab work for the servo only to get belt squeal or start other belt issues.

Back