Anyone Add A Battery Disconnect To A Can Am ?

Dockmaster

Reaction score
Has anyone added a battery disconnect to a Maverick X3? I have a 2018 and don’t use it much. I forget to charge the battery and the parasitic draw kills the battery. It’s a PITA to have to unbolt my aftermarket bench seat to get to the battery to replace it. I was wondering if a battery disconnect wouldn’t solve this problem and stop the parasitic draw? If you installed one, where did you put it? Any pictures? Thanks!

I have not but I have added jump start terminals behind the battery on the plastic panel in the fender well area.  You should be able to drill a hole and mount the disconnect in that same area, but you will have to extend the positive wires. 

IMG_4384.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not but I have added jump start terminals behind the battery on the plastic panel in the fender well area.  You should be able to drill a hole and mount the disconnect in that same area, but you will have to extend the positive wires. 

View attachment 90295
Thanks. I have the jump/charging terminals behind the battery already. They work great. But don’t do me any good when I forget to put the trickle charger on them 😩😩

I added one inside the battery box. Easy enough to reach when I park it. Also added an on board trickle charger while in there. The $60 to leave the charger living in the Utv takes the lazy out of topping off you battery 

image.jpg

Thanks. I have the jump/charging terminals behind the battery already. They work great. But don’t do me any good when I forget to put the trickle charger on them 😩😩
if you forget to trickle charge it you will forget to flip the switch....just saying! :dunno:

@Mac installed one on my old 2017. It was mounted behind the passenger seat. Looked just like a boat deal to connect or disconnect the battery. 
never had a problem starting it so long as I closed that switch. 

I added one inside the battery box. Easy enough to reach when I park it. Also added an on board trickle charger while in there. The $60 to leave the charger living in the Utv takes the lazy out of topping off you battery 

View attachment 90298
Perfect - exactly what I was looking for. I will copy this and gladly give you all the credit for the design. Thanks for sharing.

if you forget to trickle charge it you will forget to flip the switch....just saying! :dunno:
Nah cause I will turn the switch off right when I put it away. I forget weeks later to go turn on the trickle charger because I store it inside the trailer. Out of sight out of mind unfortunately. 

@Yarder did a setup on his that just doesn't get any cleaner or more functional.  He really thought this out and got it right.  I'd wait for him to chime in and see if he'll post up some pics.

Nah cause I will turn the switch off right when I put it away. I forget weeks later to go turn on the trickle charger because I store it inside the trailer. Out of sight out of mind unfortunately. 
Why not plug it in right away? :biggrin:

Why not plug it in right away? :biggrin:
I have found with these crappy power sports batteries they  don’t do well if you leave them on a tender for any extended period. For me, it’s remembering to plug it in and unplug on some regular cadence that gets me. 

Got the disconnect switch all done. If I ever meet the person at Can Am that decided to put the battery behind the seat I would like to punch them in the mouth 😀😀

@Yarder did a setup on his that just doesn't get any cleaner or more functional.  He really thought this out and got it right.  I'd wait for him to chime in and see if he'll post up some pics.

Thanks for the props @Mac

This was for a complete accessory re-wire after I realized the shop that did my cage replacement had undersized the wiring to my light bar and had cut out all of my previous wiring.

I added a disconnect, remote posts and 8 position SwitchPro.

IMG_20231015_180154894.jpg

I got the battery disconnect in. I really hate these Powersports batteries though! Sure wish they would just give you a threaded post instead of those damn nuts and screws. Yes, I did the ear plug hack to help but still a PITA!

Unfortunately, the battery is now the least of the issues. Daughter rolled it onto it's lid. Fortunately, the cage, harnesses and helmets all did their job and no injuries other than a few bruises. I was surprised the damage wasn't worse. The cage is tweaked a bit, the windshield glass broke, side mirror glass broke and right rear fender flare is damaged. They were able to use it for several days after for the rest of our trip. I'll start repairs soon. 

Can Am on Lid.jpg

Glad nobody was hurt, super clean install by the Yardman.

I’m so glad nobody was seriously hurt.  Toys can be fixed.  

Got the disconnect switch all done. If I ever meet the person at Can Am that decided to put the battery behind the seat I would like to punch them in the mouth 😀😀
Can you kick that person in the balls as they were likely the same person that decided a cross brace was a good idea near the oil drain plug.  

I switched to a Full Throttle battery in my X3 and it has been solid. 

Do you have a # on the Full Throttle battery? Too many different ones listed online. 
The FT560.  I got mine from TMW as my friend happen to be near them and was meeting me in Glamis.  They also sell the bracket to hold it down.   I have been running the battery for over 3 years with no issues.  My X3 can sit for several months with no trickle charger and starts right up.     

https://tmwoffroad.com/products/full-throttle-battery-ft560 

Back