Any Pool contractors?

Sorry to hear your friend is using Superior pools. IMO that’s a big mistake. I’ve talked to them when I was looking to do our pool. I knew I was going to do an owner builder, but still talked to 3 companies to get quotes and input. San Diego Pools was a joke The guy through down a hard number and said if I’m not looking to spend at least that much money he was not interested in talking with me. This is as he’s standing in my backyard! Superior Pools while friendly and seem to promise allot, they are flakey and do questionable work with cheaper subs. The father is retired both kids coattail off his business name and license. Been told the sons jobs go smoother then the daughters. Personally know someone who was in a lawsuit with them and 3rd hand know another that had to fire them, and find another contractor to come in and finish the job. 
So did you do your own pool? I am not opposed to running the project but I need someone with experience to help design/submit it.

So did you do your own pool? I am not opposed to running the project but I need someone with experience to help design/submit it.
Yes I did my own pool. Through a friend who did his, he hooked me up with a few contacts and then I found some on my own or through others. I used a girl who does all the planning permits for you. It’s a service she offers and is worth the few hundred dollars she charges. If your interested in doing it yourself let me know and I can send you some contacts. 

Yes I did my own pool. Through a friend who did his, he hooked me up with a few contacts and then I found some on my own or through others. I used a girl who does all the planning permits for you. It’s a service she offers and is worth the few hundred dollars she charges. If your interested in doing it yourself let me know and I can send you some contacts. 
Yeah that would be great! I'll PM you my info.

Well, this thread scares the chit out of me!  😉  As I posted in my thread about leaving CA, I'll be having a pool done in the next ~12 months (if that's even possible, lol).  When we bought in CA I insisted no pool, just didn't want to deal with it.  I actually regretted that.  Had a good buddy in the neighborhood, and actually really liked having the pool (obviously a friend's pool is best-case, just like a friend's boat is the best type of boat).  We lived up in Lincoln, where it's hot - but not Vegas hot.  Going to Vegas a pool became a must-have.  The property we got doesn't have one, so we'll be adding a pool - period, no question about it.  Now, we can put it off ~6mo probably with the other things going on right now (full house remodel) but it's going to happen one way or another.  Ugh... why do I pick the WORST time to do things? 

-TJ

I don't know if this is helpful, but I've seen some interesting videos from a pool builder recently. Everyone's been talking about traditional concrete pools, but there are other types that look like they have some benefits. A long time ago, a friend of mine had an in ground vinyl pool. The soft sides were nice, the smooth texture was also nice. Their color pattern was dark blue/light blue clouds and this kept their pool pretty warm without needing a heater. It used a lot less concrete and was a lot cheaper to build. I think at that time (mid 80s) the rectangular shape was the most popular or only style offered, but the pool contractor I saw recently did a kidney shaped pool and it was very fast and inexpensive to build.

The other style he did was ICF blocks with concrete and rebar filled in. The bottom was 2 part foam, then they plastered over everything so it looked like a regular concrete pool, but with 1/4 of the heating bill since it was fully insulated from the ground. This was a really fancy pool with a large infinity edge, large attached spa - it was built for entertaining large groups. Again, I'm not sure if this is the way anyone wants to go, but I did find it interesting a pool contractor was doing it differently than the rest, much faster and a lot cheaper than his competitors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished resurfacing/facelift and filled out pool on Sunday! Pretty happy with the end result! Roughly 28,+++ gallon pool = 7-4,000 gallon truck loads to fill. 
damn iPhone upside pics.

00665372-0951-4EC1-84E1-425C73E71B88.jpeg

FA2D4B7D-4991-4751-8F2B-9D33A9C3866C.jpeg

@Dunerking why do you need trucks to fill? Can't use domestic water?

Or is it special "lighter than air" water that stays in an upside down pool? 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
all I can say it build it yourself and hire the subs.  you pay cash and the pool companies wait 30 to 90 days to pay them.   You get quicker service.  Now this was 10 years ago but I got quotes for just my pool of 125k.  I did the whole project myself and the complete backyard including patio furniture was 55k, and I upgraded to glass bead finish, huge slide and grotto, and automatic pool cover.  those upgrades alone were 17,000 out of the 55k.  Oh that included 4000ft of travertine pavers.  Basic pool cost about 20k with in floor cleaning.  I would guess 40k today. 

all I can say it build it yourself and hire the subs.  you pay cash and the pool companies wait 30 to 90 days to pay them.   You get quicker service.  Now this was 10 years ago but I got quotes for just my pool of 125k.  I did the whole project myself and the complete backyard including patio furniture was 55k, and I upgraded to glass bead finish, huge slide and grotto, and automatic pool cover.  those upgrades alone were 17,000 out of the 55k.  Oh that included 4000ft of travertine pavers.  Basic pool cost about 20k with in floor cleaning.  I would guess 40k today. 
I just need to find the subs. I don't know any for pools.

Back