Any Pool contractors?

Punchdrunk Monkey

Reaction score
I remember there was a pool thread on the "old" GD.com. We are thinking about putting in a pool. I have no idea what the costs are now-a-days or who a good person to talk to. ANy recommendations? 

It would be a basic pool, no spa. More of a lounging/party pool. Baja step, seating area. 

We are in Poway, north San Diego area.

I started that thread, no help on GD.com. I built my own and have contact but im out in inland empire. 

Don't know your personal situation, but if you can wait, I would do so. Right now is not a good time. Everyone and his brother wants to put in a pool right now. Contractors are all booked and charging a premium, equipment and materials are almost impossible to get, and if you can get it, the price of everything is through the roof.

IF you seriously want a pool, go out and make a pile of $100 bills and burn them.....it will be quicker and less painful than owning a pool.

Just don't have San Diego Pool Plastering do the plaster.

They did mine and have nothing but problems since.

It was so bad they sent someone out and had to drain the pool again.

Then they used grinders to try and smooth out the plaster 

Now there are little holes in the finish that is almost impossible to keep Algae from growing.

I can still see the holes on the bottom from their spiked shoes.

Good luck.  Pools are just sitting right now because you cant get equipment. 

What was a 50k is double or more this year.

Pools are awesome. Don't let negative posts keep you from getting a pool. It's just money. Spend it / Burn it / whatever you wish to do with your money. Nothing better than an ice cold delicious beverage lounging naked in the pool. And your neighbors will build you a fence. Amazing how much money we saved the first day of diving in Naked. While waving at my neighbors next door. Wish I knew a good pool builder. We're in the market for one too. Meeting the design team Thursday! I'll keep ya posted in the chEFF's Dream Home Build TOPic. Peace

I know now it not the time to buy anything. I am just trying to figure out what the cost is. It seems like anything I want to do to the backyard is 100k. I would think, start it in spring so that is is ready in summer. But that is probably what everyone else is doing. 

I know now it not the time to buy anything. I am just trying to figure out what the cost is. It seems like anything I want to do to the backyard is 100k. I would think, start it in spring so that is is ready in summer. But that is probably what everyone else is doing. 
IF you start now you might be ready by next year this time.

I am inspecting pools for pre gunite that were started in February.....some builders are getting them done faster but as stated above, this is not the best time to have a pool built. 

It'll slow down in the next year for sure and prices will come WAY down and parts, pieces and chemicals will be available again. Saw the same thing back in '06.

don't understand the negative posts.. have had 2 pools now and we love it. matter a fact we watched the UFC fight from the spa on Saturday  :swim:  

don't understand the negative posts.. have had 2 pools now and we love it. matter a fact we watched the UFC fight from the spa on Saturday  :swim:  
Because you have yet to have an old pool. 

Tomorrow I will decide to have my pump and filter replaced/ fixed or fill the dam thing in. Have spent the last month trying to get somebody anybody to come out and get the dam thing so it stops leaking water. I have replaced every part and every time I replace one piece of the puzzle another starts to leak. Have had two guys come out and tell me to replace the entire filter/ pump , I say ok how much, they will get back to me,  I will get back to you is code for don't want to do anything or call you back. 

Oh and I spent an hour cleaning the pool Saturday from Fridays dust storm and about the time I finished another storm hit. Got to spend an hour cleaning it again Sunday. Yesterday I guess I could of jumped in the pool but had other things to do but there is tonight, oh that's right another storm coming in tonight. So guess whqt I get to do tomorrow instead of enjoying the pool

Filling it in is sounding better and better 

If you want a pool, go get it.  Plan on it taking a year to complete right now, start now for 4th of July next year grand opening.  A couple of things with the pools right now, hire a pool guy to take care of it.  If something breaks they will be there to fix it because they want a working pool to clean, a non working pool is harder to keep clean.  Getting anything to repair pools right now is tough, heck there is a Chorine shortage as well.  

Personally, my favorite pool is my neighbors.............ha  I love their boat as well.

Because you have yet to have an old pool. 

Tomorrow I will decide to have my pump and filter replaced/ fixed or fill the dam thing in. Have spent the last month trying to get somebody anybody to come out and get the dam thing so it stops leaking water. I have replaced every part and every time I replace one piece of the puzzle another starts to leak. Have had two guys come out and tell me to replace the entire filter/ pump , I say ok how much, they will get back to me,  I will get back to you is code for don't want to do anything or call you back. 

Oh and I spent an hour cleaning the pool Saturday from Fridays dust storm and about the time I finished another storm hit. Got to spend an hour cleaning it again Sunday. Yesterday I guess I could of jumped in the pool but had other things to do but there is tonight, oh that's right another storm coming in tonight. So guess whqt I get to do tomorrow instead of enjoying the pool

Filling it in is sounding better and better 
Its not that they DONT want to fix it... its that they cant.  You cant get pumps, filters, valves, lights, plumbing, panels, heaters, salt systems, cleaners or anything.

I am a builder.  I have a list of part numbers I search for every morning trying to complete a mile long list of work we have suspended.  I have even had parts sold out from under me at part houses.  MFG's are 6-9 months out on all orders from factory.

a basic kidney shaped pool with no spa is approx 65-70k here in havasu now. pre covid it was closer to 40k. with spa a couple water features your at 100k today. pools here are taking apporx 10 months to complete due to labor and materials issues.

Its not that they DONT want to fix it... its that they cant.  You cant get pumps, filters, valves, lights, plumbing, panels, heaters, salt systems, cleaners or anything.

I am a builder.  I have a list of part numbers I search for every morning trying to complete a mile long list of work we have suspended.  I have even had parts sold out from under me at part houses.  MFG's are 6-9 months out on all orders from factory.
Then say that, Right now I have one project that has been waiting to start for over 4 months, all because they can't get the tile they want. So the project sits. I had another one that the customer pulled the trigger and said lets do this but it has to be done by this date.  I told them then pick new light fixtures because the ones you ordered they won't even give me a ship date ( Canadian). So they looked around and picked out another light fixture that we will have in time.  I have told GC's that the hand me work they want to give me they need to give to another person, why because I don't have the labor force to complete it in the time they need it done by. I would rather over perform on work I can do then under perform on work I cannot. 

Material shortages, Bad Contractors, Worse Employee's making it so becoming a greeter at Wal Mart is looking a lot better option these day's

Go to Walmart and get an above ground one and use if for a year or so until prices come down. That will let you know if you're really going to use it enough or not.

I just spent $750 just to find a leak in mine, so not so hopped up on pools at the moment. It is nice to look over and see the sparkling water, but I think I'd put in a huge spa before I did a pool. Most of the time you're just hanging out in it, and being able to get it warmed up in the cooler months would make it a year round kinda thing.

Back