ADVICE, PRO/CON for ordering your vehicle via dealership

Whats the Affiliate rewards? is that dodge/chrysler people?
Ensures that you get at least 1% below dealer invoice. Mine is my Tread Lightly membership. There is a huge list of ways to qualify though.

I have an xlt f250 on order with Granger Ford in Iowa. 2% under invoice. About 5k under MSRP. 
I have price protection for any increases which has saved me $1,000 so far. 

only some minor fees. 

had to give 1k deposit and I get it when I get it. Should look like this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ordered my last 4 superduty trucks.  Just placed an order about 3 weeks ago.

I get X plan through Ford, so no price negotiation, a little below invoice.

I built my truck on Fords site, took that print out to a local dealer, 5 actually until I got 1 that would work with me.  LOL

They put the order in, I gave my deposit and that's it for now.

I always get my own financing so once I know I am 30 days out from the truck arriving, I will get that setup.

No Ford dealer has been able to match the terms of my credit union.

I will sell my truck if I am not using it at the time the new one comes in or I will trade it in.  

I will not buy a truck off the lot again, I want exactly what I want.
Pretty much my exact experience. Just sold the wife’s old ride Friday for $4k over what the dealer offered. 

Avoid high zoot options if you can, the lead time increases a lot the more microchips you order. 

I've got to buy a new truck soon. Hate to do it but HAVE to....Peace

I've got to buy a new truck soon. Hate to do it but HAVE to....Peace
Best deals are if you're willing to order it and fly to pick it up.  The biggest 3 volume dealers of each manufacturer usually offer the best prices.

Best deals are if you're willing to order it and fly to pick it up.  The biggest 3 volume dealers of each manufacturer usually offer the best prices.
This is true. Local dealer asked if it was really worth 4-5k to fly to Iowa and drive back. I said if I paid you $1,000 a day to just drive you wouldn’t do it? 

No reply... 

Flight will be $350ish ( might be free with cc points) 

400-500 in fuel. So still clearing a good savings. 

I feel like a dumbass for not putting that together!   There is a CDJR &Chevy dealer down in Payson. I will see what they can offer if I go Chevy.
Build it online and send it to Brown and Brown in Phoenix to bid. (Chevy)

Isn't the largest RAM dealer in Lancaster? Ram of the West Truck Center?

A lot of good info here.  Its good to see alot of people getting what they want without alot of added things they dont need.  

How do you special order a vehicle?  Is it the same as building one online, through the mfg website or an actual sheet @ the dealership?  

Dodge is currently offering a 'jailbreak' order option on the Challenger.  However, when trying 'build' a Ram online, I can't get exactly what I want without having to +/- a package to get a particular option.  Is that what we're talking about here?

How do you special order a vehicle?  Is it the same as building one online, through the mfg website or an actual sheet @ the dealership?  

Dodge is currently offering a 'jailbreak' order option on the Challenger.  However, when trying 'build' a Ram online, I can't get exactly what I want without having to +/- a package to get a particular option.  Is that what we're talking about here?
Walk into the dealership, sit down with the guy and tell him exactly what you want. If you go to the fleet guy they will do it right away as I believe this is primarily what they do. If you get just the standard run of the mill salesman they will try to talk you into something on the lot. I believe this is mainly because they don't get paid until the vehicle is purchased. So if you buy it that day, they get paid right away. If you order it, they get paid in 3 months, or not at all if you don't follow through and actually compete the deal. I'm sure there are some guys in the industry here on the board that can expand on this.

I do the build online. once completed I have it sent to the dealers of my choice, and they have and internet salesperson work it and give their price for what I built. I even send them to Montane dealers as there is no sale tax there. You have to register it in Montana though.

i was getting a recall done on my truck today at the gmc dealership and sitting in the waiting area, i hear the salesman say our trucks are 5k over sticker.

I about spit out my water. good lord they are crazy

i was getting a recall done on my truck today at the gmc dealership and sitting in the waiting area, i hear the salesman say our trucks are 5k over sticker.

I about spit out my water. good lord they are crazy
Yep.  Normal these days.  

When I sat down to do the same, I was able to opt for items in a package, and not have to get everything in the package.  I thought the same, that if I was to get a certain thing, I would have to opt for the whole package. Thats what the salesman was able to do at the time.  Could be different somewhere else. It was a walk through on how to start the order process. It was at a dodge/chevy dealer in Payson AZ.

When I sat down to do the same, I was able to opt for items in a package, and not have to get everything in the package.  I thought the same, that if I was to get a certain thing, I would have to opt for the whole package. Thats what the salesman was able to do at the time.  Could be different somewhere else. It was a walk through on how to start the order process. It was at a dodge/chevy dealer in Payson AZ.
Same.  There were some option package rebates that made it cheaper or nearly even to pick the package rather than individual items I wanted.  Some options were super useless to me (trailer backup assist) but cheaper as a package, and some were downright dangerous (lane departure assist is the DEVIL, LOL). 

Back