ADVICE, PRO/CON for ordering your vehicle via dealership

RAPTORUSH

Reaction score
 I have decided when the time is right, I'm going to order my next truck with a dealership.  Still havent decided whether it's ford or chevy.  I'm building a truck without all the foo foo, no onstar, no sirus, just a solid truck with some upgrades for towing, elctrical, power etc. No Extra BS.     So I know I have to make a deposit to get the order going.  My concearns about the following has got me thinking....   I asked what about the GM Veteran certificate discount?  Couldnt get a straight answer yes or no on whether it will be applied later.  Then, there is the question of what to be expected for charges etc once the truck arrives.  Couldnt get an answer on finance cost or percentage. I actually plan on paying cash, but I still want to know.  I t kinda seems to me that nothing happens until the truck arrives and then the negotiation starts, which seems a bit lopsided because now that the truck is there, the dealership has the leverage on working a deal with you thats fair. WHat can some of you guys share on this on your expieriences, and what to lok out for, and what would you do different? I appreciate your constructive imput.  

I’ve special ordered two cars from the dealerships. The pro is getting exactly want you want. The con is you don’t have any negotiating power as the dealer has no incentive to negotiate as you special ordered it. Its not a car on their lot that they are paying for.

Both cars I ordered I used the Costco discount pricing. It was a strait forward discount & price. I think in both cases it was a $500 deposit and when the car arrived you either complete your financing or pay cash. 

I’ve order multiple vehicles. Always negotiated price upfront and never been an issue when arrived. Had the sales order in hand when I gave the deposit. Only issue is I just ordered a Jeep with a 90 day build. It took 5 1/2 months because of Covid crap. Understandable and the dealer kept me yo to date. Would have sucked if I was in need though. 

Just went through this. Ordered a truck through Bobby Williams at Sunrise Ford. It was a straight forward no BS deal. Give him a shot if you decide on a Ford. 

I have bought a couple trucks (and cars) that way - there is just something about getting Exactly what you want that is gratifying.

This was Pre-COVID and I went in with the listed options on the sheet,  I went through the "fleet manager" it was simple and straightforward, I got a small amount off the MSRP - basically what you would get on a COSTCO or GM Employee discount deal.  I could Not take advantage of all the incentives you could with "inventory"  (But right now there is no inventory to speak of anyway...) and put down $500 non refundable  (once I accepted the cost and delivery date) deposit.  He called me back in 2 days and gave me the exact sticker price and discount, and expected build and delivery date  -  He sent me the screen shot  - I got the truck and delivery was right on time.  This was the same with the others as well. 

I was close to doing that again in November, but the dealership said  a number of the options (nothing really fancy, but things related to towing and I want a big screen)  I wanted were not available and the fleet manager ( a new one, a really nice woman) said she could not even order the truck with those options but would contact me when they were back on the order sheet, but they are only selling ordered trucks at MSRP until further notice, but promised essentially 0% financing for up to 72 months if I wanted ...

I am still waiting  - 

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a dmax new. Was way better. Got exactly what i wanted, none of the bs you will replace anyways (bose was a 3500$ option then. Built audio later that kicked ass for 2500$

If i ever buy a new vehicle again this is how im doing it. I just priced out a new sequoia trd 4x4 to replace my wife’s excursion (just toying with the idea) was 54k$ the way i ordered it...not bad for a full size suv. All the tahoes and suburbans we’ve seen on the lot have been 75-100k$ and its all the bs goochie crap we dont want

I know you said Ford or Chevy so this may not help you in the least but there are 10-12 CDJR dealers that are doing quite a bit below dealer invoice on special orders.

One in particular is doing 6-8% below invoice depending on Affiliate Rewards and financing through them. MSRP doesn’t even come into the equation with these dealers. The aforementioned dealer receives between 85 and 100 custom ordered Wranglers and Gladiators per week. They are all high volume as you might imagine but if you are looking for no BS deals you may want to hit a few of them up and see what they have to offer. 
I know one of them has been mentioned as having the same incentives on Ram trucks.

The best I’ve found in California is Tuttle Click in Irvine. He was at 4% below invoice before Covid. Now he’s at 2% below.

The dealer I’m fixing to purchase through in Idaho is at 6.5% below invoice. Saving $7800 off of MSRP. All of the dealers up here in the Central Valley have a $5K to &7K OVER the MSRP “market adjustment”. Effe them. I’ll get my $83 plane ticket to Boise and enjoy my drive back.

If a Ram is a consideration at all I would talk to a few of the dealers doing these deals on Jeeps.

I have ordered my last 4 superduty trucks.  Just placed an order about 3 weeks ago.

I get X plan through Ford, so no price negotiation, a little below invoice.

I built my truck on Fords site, took that print out to a local dealer, 5 actually until I got 1 that would work with me.  LOL

They put the order in, I gave my deposit and that's it for now.

I always get my own financing so once I know I am 30 days out from the truck arriving, I will get that setup.

No Ford dealer has been able to match the terms of my credit union.

I will sell my truck if I am not using it at the time the new one comes in or I will trade it in.  

I will not buy a truck off the lot again, I want exactly what I want.

Built 3 Fords. Price was set at time of order. Last one Ford sent a coupon that if used for new vehicle it would reduce price 2k. Took that in when truck came in and they honored it. Very simple in my opinion.

Add I sent build sheet to 4 dealers and let them come back with a price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered exactly what I wanted @ El Cajon Ford. Didn't need to give a deposit as the Fleet guy I went through told me he'd have no problem selling it for more than we agreed to if I were to disappear on him. They got me a better interest rate than what I'd arranged on my own. So a few months and a few signatures later I drove out of there with no money down and a new truck.

I recall asking them about financing options when I ordered but he said they couldn't quote anything because purchase was still 3 months away. Financing can't be done that far out as they require a vin. Price of the truck itself was set though. 

Just went through this. Ordered a truck through Bobby Williams at Sunrise Ford. It was a straight forward no BS deal. Give him a shot if you decide on a Ford. 
I have used Bobby twice as well at Sunrise, it was easy and straight forward.

I’ve special ordered two trucks from Ford. I ordered them exactly how I wanted. I paid $1000 over dealer invoice on my current truck that I bought in 2015 and could probably sell  now for the same price I paid then lol.

I appreciate all the responses. It really helps. I really like the ability to eliminate alot of things I dont need, and get the added improvements I want.   I was was told by a salesman that once an order is placed, it goes to the front of the assembly line ahead of vehicles headed to dealers. I thought that was pretty cool. Thank you for your imput, I I'm gonna keep researching and likely wait till around July. I'M more ready to go this route on buying thanks to your imput. It seems like this is the most favorable way to get a new vehicle versus settling for something with meaningless options.  Nevermind the crazyness of the used truck market.  I only get on the site in the evening, thanks again.

I know you said Ford or Chevy so this may not help you in the least but there are 10-12 CDJR dealers that are doing quite a bit below dealer invoice on special orders.

One in particular is doing 6-8% below invoice depending on Affiliate Rewards and financing through them. MSRP doesn’t even come into the equation with these dealers. The aforementioned dealer receives between 85 and 100 custom ordered Wranglers and Gladiators per week. They are all high volume as you might imagine but if you are looking for no BS deals you may want to hit a few of them up and see what they have to offer. 
I know one of them has been mentioned as having the same incentives on Ram trucks.

The best I’ve found in California is Tuttle Click in Irvine. He was at 4% below invoice before Covid. Now he’s at 2% below.

The dealer I’m fixing to purchase through in Idaho is at 6.5% below invoice. Saving $7800 off of MSRP. All of the dealers up here in the Central Valley have a $5K to &7K OVER the MSRP “market adjustment”. Effe them. I’ll get my $83 plane ticket to Boise and enjoy my drive back.

If a Ram is a consideration at all I would talk to a few of the dealers doing these deals on Jeeps.
Whats the Affiliate rewards? is that dodge/chrysler people?

I feel like a dumbass for not putting that together!   There is a CDJR &Chevy dealer down in Payson. I will see what they can offer if I go Chevy.

I have an xlt f250 on order with Granger Ford in Iowa. 2% under invoice. About 5k under MSRP. 
I have price protection for any increases which has saved me $1,000 so far. 

only some minor fees. 

had to give 1k deposit and I get it when I get it. Should look like this. 

54542B60-5AB0-4BFA-8C18-2CF4E15D44BC.jpeg

Back