Adding a Mini Split to the Garage

Time2Dune

Reaction score
Im thinking of adding a mini split to my garage. 

Who has done this? What brand did you go with?  Where did you get it or did you just order it from the world wide web?

Thanks

I have done many mini splits in my house and business.  I buy them all off ebay and shipped to my door. You can self install they come precharged.  You should vac out the lines but other than that pretty simple to do. 

Buddy did it himself, same as @Squatcher says: pre-charged and all.  Bought a gauge set for it from Amazon and rented the pump from Autozone or wherever. 

Mitsubishi seems to be the top brand. Longest lasting, with an excellent reputation. Mr. Cool focuses on the do it yourself crowd. Their product is a very easy install and works well. Are you looking for a cadillac multizone system or just a budget single zone setup?

So you just hang the blower on a wall in the house or is there ducting option? 

There are ducted ductless mini splits. They get more complicated and expensive but you can get a solution for just about any house. 

So you just hang the blower on a wall in the house or is there ducting option? 
Yep, Then there is the  copper line set along with control and power cable that goes to the outdoor unit that will need power and means of disconnect.

they make units that are wall hung,  ceiling cassette, and ductless units.   All the head units need a line set (1/4 copper,3/8copper and 4to 6 wire cord) also need a drain line run from inside unit.  You can put more than one indoor unit on a outdoor compressor if you buy a multi room setup.  But the OP said he needed one for his garage.  Just get a simple wall hanging unit run the lines yourself and you will wonder why it took you so long to buy one. under 900 bucks shipped to your door off ebay.  

they make units that are wall hung,  ceiling cassette, and ductless units.   All the head units need a line set (1/4 copper,3/8copper and 4to 6 wire cord) also need a drain line run from inside unit.  You can put more than one indoor unit on a outdoor compressor if you buy a multi room setup.  But the OP said he needed one for his garage.  Just get a simple wall hanging unit run the lines yourself and you will wonder why it took you so long to buy one. under 900 bucks shipped to your door off ebay.  
what brand you buying off ebay? what size I was thinking 2-3 ton for a 3 car garage

I installed a MR Cool unit last summer in my shop and love it.  I bought it from Home Depot but my buddy found it at Menards and saved some coin during their 11% rebate.  I got the 24k BTU, but not the DIY unit.  I have a vacuum pump and a nitrogen kit for a pressure test on the joints.  My shop is 2025 sq ft and it keeps up pretty good.  If you use their numbers for size, mine is way too small, but I like it.  Now the heat pump won't keep it warm on a really cold day.  

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

I'll send some pics of mine. I've heard nothing but great reviews of the Mini-Split. Waiting on my house to get closer to completion before it gets turned on. When the guys installed it the air was blowing COLD air. Remote control system. NICE! Peace 

I was wondering........... can you use these mini split systems as "heaters" too? 

We bought a "Portable AC unit" for our condo that has the 2  hoses that goto a window & it can also be used as a heater.  

Something like this:

portable-ac-unit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering........... can you use these as "heaters" too?  We bought a "Portable AC unit" for our condo that has the  hoses that goto a window & it can also be used as a heater.  

Something like this:

I always thought these were Mobil heat pumps cold out the vents hot out the tubes 

what brand you buying off ebay? what size I was thinking 2-3 ton for a 3 car garage
I look and see what compressor it is and buy a good compressor in the cheapest unit so far.  I have bought some expensive units and more hassle than the cheapest I could find.I buy them all on ebay shipped to my door. 2 ton for a 3 car garage  I would think would be just fine.  My 30x60 shop has a 2.5 ton and keeps if cool and warm in the winter. 

i used one online i think it was pioneer 36k condensor and two 18k celing cassets  they fit in the celling if your joists are on 24 inch centers    https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/collections/pre-made-multi-split-kits/products/dual-zone-36000btu-wall-wyt   it is way oversized the garage is 24x28 12 ft celing hight. the garage is detached and well insulated just wanted to be able to turn it on and have it cool in 30 minutes or less came precharged and everything was single flare  no soldering. just had to vacuum the lines 

I always thought these were Mobil heat pumps cold out the vents hot out the tubes 
The one we bought does both.  But it has 2 hoses which I think was a requirement at the time to go both ways.  

I look and see what compressor it is and buy a good compressor in the cheapest unit so far.  I have bought some expensive units and more hassle than the cheapest I could find.I buy them all on ebay shipped to my door. 2 ton for a 3 car garage  I would think would be just fine.  My 30x60 shop has a 2.5 ton and keeps if cool and warm in the winter. 
Can you explain further what a good compressor is?  What brands are you looking for?  Thanks

Back