5150 Whips = Meh!

I have the old Buggy Whip. The short one and the long one. Mainly use the long one all the time in the dunes. Short one in the desert. I do have a lighted whip, SafeGloWhips, but only goes on if I go to the hill at night. Which is rarely. Nothing good happens after dark out in the dunes! :lol:  

I have the old Buggy Whip. The short one and the long one. Mainly use the long one all the time in the dunes. Short one in the desert. I do have a lighted whip, SafeGloWhips, but only goes on if I go to the hill at night. Which is rarely. Nothing good happens after dark out in the dunes! :lol:

we usually bring back a good story…lol

5150 whips must have some damn deep pockets, I got a damn nice mailer in the mail about 2 weeks ago, full color, multiple pages, had to cost a pretty penny to do that.

On my second set of 4ft whips. 1st set one started not working so I emailed them and they sent out a replacement set. That was three years ago and no other issues since. 

not not sure what you mean the lights don’t go all the way up? Friend has a set of 6ft whips and his dove the whole thing just like my 4ft ones. 

Another vote for JC whips.  I run the 8's and they a blinding.  Now if we could just get all the sign and drivers to run nothing but 6's so I can see them that would be helpful.  Cant tell you how many times I have had to make evasive maneuvers because they have those stupid 2' or 4' whips mounted in the bed of their sxs and you cant see them coming over a dune.

Another vote for JC whips.  I run the 8's and they a blinding.  Now if we could just get all the sign and drivers to run nothing but 6's so I can see them that would be helpful.  Cant tell you how many times I have had to make evasive maneuvers because they have those stupid 2' or 4' whips mounted in the bed of their sxs and you cant see them coming over a dune.
This ok with you? IMG_1014.jpeg

I use an old school buggy whip and a 3x5 flag and that's all I'm ever going to use. The other guys in the group I had previously duned with all use the short disco sticks and tiny flags. That kind of defeats the purpose of using a flag, it needs to be high up over your car so you can be seen. They used to argue that what they used was legal, but in my eyes it wasn't about being legal it was about being seen while underway in the dunes. We were rarely in the dunes at night, at least when we could help it. I have no desire to pretend I can avoid hazards in the dark. 

I use an old school buggy whip and a 3x5 flag and that's all I'm ever going to use. The other guys in the group I had previously duned with all use the short disco sticks and tiny flags. That kind of defeats the purpose of using a flag, it needs to be high up over your car so you can be seen. They used to argue that what they used was legal, but in my eyes it wasn't about being legal it was about being seen while underway in the dunes. We were rarely in the dunes at night, at least when we could help it. I have no desire to pretend I can avoid hazards in the dark. 
Kind of like brain bucket helmets. Legal? Sure. Do anything? Nope. 

I run my original old style buggy whip from my sand rail on one side of the side-by-side, and a shorter lighted one on the other side. I like running two different whips for being safe mostly, and then it’s easier for the family to see me in a crowd as well.

or to find me when I get lost.   :rofl:

I have the (2) 4' 5150 Hyper Color (single color) whips and they have been great. Super bright.

One of them started to go out on me. I just pulled it out of the magnetic base, took some sandpaper to the end to clean it off and works like a charm.

I'm probably going to order the Daytime flags as well, the magnetic bases are really convenient.

I think the biggest thing is to keep the contact points clean...every once in a while, maybe pull the actual base off and you can take them apart and clean them.

Probably a 1-2 beer job, so that's not too bad!

:lmao:

Also, they have these cool swivel flag holders:

Swivel Flag Clip for Bluetooth/Remote/Hyper Whips - 5150 Whips Inc.

:dbart:

20240113_171144.jpg

Those need to be twice that tall and the flags need to be 4 times larger to be of any benefit.

Back