5150 Whips = Meh!

Azdunerat

Reaction score
So my wife got me a pair of the 187 series 5150 whips(top of the line) for the Can Am for Christmas. Overall I like the controller and the magnetic bases. However she got me the 6 footers and they are kind of a rip off. 

the LED’s are only wrapped up the first 5 feet and then the remaining 12” is bare fiberglass pole. After comparing them to my friends 4 footer it actually looks the 4 and 6 have the exact same number of leds.  The 4 foot whips leds are wrapped almost touching while the 6 has about a half inch gap between wraps. 

overall I am pretty disappointed in the whips and if they weren’t a gift and already installed I would be looking elsewhere. 

Bummer, you would think the LED would be wrapped all the way to the top and with the same spacing as the 4 footers.

I went Gorilla on my recent build although I have 5150 on a couple other toys and have been happy with them.  I finally reached the point where each toy has a different brand of whip and nothing is compatible.......

I used these lights to make my own. I imagine you could splice some of this on yours to finish the last foot. 
You would think for what 5150 charges  that the whole length of the whip would have lights.

X2 on JC whips and shyt. I’ve put them on everything and never have had any issues at all. 
Same here, I've been running the 6' whip for 5 seasons now.  One row of LEDs went out and dimmed a bit, but I re-soldered the connection (fixed) and the outer clear wrap has yellowed a bit.

However, Jeff @Whipsandshyt also said he could re-build for $50.  Definitely a sturdy whip.  Highly recommend.   :thumb:

...And the LEDs go the full length of the whip.  

Last edited by a moderator:
None of my lights work in my whips anymore, I am done trying.

X2 on JC whips and shyt. I’ve put them on everything and never have had any issues at all. 
Unfortunately my X3 eats his controllers. Went through 2 sets and no one can figure out why. 

have 2 of his 6 foot sticks that I will be seller or donating to a good cause. 

Unfortunately my X3 eats his controllers. Went through 2 sets and no one can figure out why. 

have 2 of his 6 foot sticks that I will be seller or donating to a good cause. 
Remote control? Or the led controller I killed a remote I figured out got sand and dust in it and messed with contacts. Now I put it in a ziplock bag no issues. 

So my wife got me a pair of the 187 series 5150 whips(top of the line) for the Can Am for Christmas. Overall I like the controller and the magnetic bases. However she got me the 6 footers and they are kind of a rip off. 

the LED’s are only wrapped up the first 5 feet and then the remaining 12” is bare fiberglass pole. After comparing them to my friends 4 footer it actually looks the 4 and 6 have the exact same number of leds.  The 4 foot whips leds are wrapped almost touching while the 6 has about a half inch gap between wraps. 

overall I am pretty disappointed in the whips and if they weren’t a gift and already installed I would be looking elsewhere. 
It looks dumb that they didn't finish the lights to the top. I would rather the lights stop 1' from the bottom, not the top.  I do like the 5150 magnetic base.

I have ran the Whips and chit for several years and love their customer service and quality. Simple whips that work. I custom ordered a 8' lighted whip from them and love it! I am the leader in my group and any extra help to be seen helps. 

Remote control? Or the led controller I killed a remote I figured out got sand and dust in it and messed with contacts. Now I put it in a ziplock bag no issues. 
LED controller keeps exploding. He was great replacing it but my wife was annoyed they didn’t work so she surprised me.  

I have the 4' 5150 whips and they have been good.  During the day I use the 5150 day time whips .  I like the magnetic holder for ease of changing out the whips. 

Back