4WD in a SXS. Is it needed in Glamis on these new machines?

I use 2WD when borrowing the wife's X3, mainly for the challenge and more buggy-like feel. 

I don't mean to hijack this thread but who uses the System 3 paddles and how do you like them, I'm new to the high performance SxS world and trying to figure out what would be the best setup for a Turbo R 2 seater

ps I miss my Funco

2wd all the time with paddles 4 wd when dragging people out or with the dirt tires on. if you are carrying speed thru the dunes 40 plus mph just more fun sliding in 2wd with 18 psi in the rear tires you can get pretty loose. with the right tires there is no reason for 4wd

I don't mean to hijack this thread but who uses the System 3 paddles and how do you like them, I'm new to the high performance SxS world and trying to figure out what would be the best setup for a Turbo R 2 seater

ps I miss my Funco
i saw a few sxs with them also curious how well they work my think is with the angled paddle design they wouldn't slide as well . i'm running the stu on a 17 turbo rzr 

ps I miss my Funco

i saw a few sxs with them also curious how well they work my think is with the angled paddle design they wouldn't slide as well . i'm running the stu on a 17 turbo rzr 
Well to answer your questions. I’ve got a 2017 CanAm X3 XRS (72” wide).  Stock motor with a whopping 154 HP. I’ve got the System3 ss360’s that are 32” tall on 15” wheels.  I run the car in 4wd all the time and can slide the back end fairly easily.   They don’t accelerate as fast as a car with 12 or more paddles.  I had the suspicion done a few years ago and I beat the higher HP cars through the whoops and they catch or pass me on the top end.   @SandTrap  has a newer X3 with higher HP. He actually has my old paddle tire set up. I would get him up the hill until 3/4 then he would fly by me.  The @ChEFF was driving a brand new Pro R 2 seater with his wife in the passenger seat.  I could beat him through the whoops and the best I was able to do was stay within 5 car lengths.  

Not needed, but I always run 4wd in my X3. The side-by-sides roll to easily / they are top heavy, as such sliding just feels too sketchy to me, especially when trying to sidetrack up a dune. 4WD is more predictable for me and easier on the belt and engine it feels like.

1900 miles on my stock belt, 1500 of those miles in the dunes.

View attachment 47143

Well to answer your questions. I’ve got a 2017 CanAm X3 XRS (72” wide).  Stock motor with a whopping 154 HP. I’ve got the System3 ss360’s that are 32” tall on 15” wheels.  I run the car in 4wd all the time and can slide the back end fairly easily.   They don’t accelerate as fast as a car with 12 or more paddles.  I had the suspicion done a few years ago and I beat the higher HP cars through the whoops and they catch or pass me on the top end.   @SandTrap  has a newer X3 with higher HP. He actually has my old paddle tire set up. I would get him up the hill until 3/4 then he would fly by me.  The @ChEFF was driving a brand new Pro R 2 seater with his wife in the passenger seat.  I could beat him through the whoops and the best I was able to do was stay within 5 car lengths.  
Thanks for the replies, I'm a duner not a racer or hill shooter but I like to keep up and have fun

Reactions: FOG
Thanks for the replies, I'm a duner not a racer or hill shooter but I like to keep up and have fun
We were just messing around on the hill. I think we only went up 3 times. As far as keeping up in the dunes it won’t be a problem with the ss360’s.  I liked the tire so much I got a set similar for my atc 140. 

7E2C62C6-29BF-489E-B38B-04A3B2D031A3.jpeg

C1D9F4A3-D9B1-4276-802D-894C1AE925E7.jpeg

37659859-F513-48D3-8163-95EDD292F1FF.jpeg

What sort of rig are you gonna run?  A lot of the rigs have tires that are to small.  Go back to the days of 1,000# VW rails.  The best set-up was a 13" wide paddle.  I ran 14.50 desert traks (actually about 12" wide).  Of course, the new rigs have 2 or 3x the amount of power (which is how they get away w/small tires).

Sand-dune Jeeps are faster in 2wd....once they get going, they can spin the heck outa the rears.  Of course, they have more balls in 4x4.  

I talked to a guy once, he had a sand-drag motorcycle.  He switched it to an ATV....It was slower as an ATV, for the same reason as above.  Faster outa the hole, but after about 25 yards, it has too much traction.  I don't remember his engine (about 40 yrs ago).  His engine was potent....it was sort of a lay-down (or lean forward) kind of a contraption w/a 3-4' long swing arm.  But, faster on the last half of the track...which is more important.

My nephew runs a Grizzly.  He starts out, a lot of time, in 4x4 and then slips it in to 2wd.  I think that his tires are small....standard Grizzly....although he may have paddles.

So, much better in 2wd, IMHO, but you are gonna need 4x4.  

Put the biggest, widest tires on it that you can, in the rear.

What sort of rig are you gonna run?  A lot of the rigs have tires that are to small.  Go back to the days of 1,000# VW rails.  The best set-up was a 13" wide paddle.  I ran 14.50 desert traks (actually about 12" wide).  Of course, the new rigs have 2 or 3x the amount of power (which is how they get away w/small tires).

Sand-dune Jeeps are faster in 2wd....once they get going, they can spin the heck outa the rears.  Of course, they have more balls in 4x4.  

I talked to a guy once, he had a sand-drag motorcycle.  He switched it to an ATV....It was slower as an ATV, for the same reason as above.  Faster outa the hole, but after about 25 yards, it has too much traction.  I don't remember his engine (about 40 yrs ago).  His engine was potent....it was sort of a lay-down (or lean forward) kind of a contraption w/a 3-4' long swing arm.  But, faster on the last half of the track...which is more important.

My nephew runs a Grizzly.  He starts out, a lot of time, in 4x4 and then slips it in to 2wd.  I think that his tires are small....standard Grizzly....although he may have paddles.

So, much better in 2wd, IMHO, but you are gonna need 4x4.  

Put the biggest, widest tires on it that you can, in the rear.
I have a 22 Polaris Turbo R 2 seater 181 hp

Also I'm not a newbie to the dunes just asking for advice on the ss 360 tires and how they perform not trying to be rude and thanks for all the replies

I was reading on the maverick forum that some guys are running system 360 front tires and rear paddle tires. 

Also I'm not a newbie to the dunes just asking for advice on the ss 360 tires and how they perform not trying to be rude and thanks for all the replies
I like them - i remember as a kid I had a 200x with similar tires and was amazed how much better they performed than nobbles.  Seems logical they'd perform well on a side by side.  I bought the ss360 high horse power for the rears, and normal for the fronts....coupled with the method grip lock wheels that perform like a bead lock, but weigh less.  Love the look and feel.

View attachment 47143

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the option of having both and use one or the other depending on how feel like driving in the dunes. In 2WD it feels more like my sand car. I’ll use 4WD most of the time when I go straight up a hill like China Wall. 

We were just messing around on the hill. I think we only went up 3 times. As far as keeping up in the dunes it won’t be a problem with the ss360’s.  I liked the tire so much I got a set similar for my atc 140. 

View attachment 60184

View attachment 60185

View attachment 60186
They are a fun set up.   I use to run the Maxxis 4 Snow tire on my quad, which is the same as the SS360.  It actually worked pretty good for racing up the hill.  It would ballon up like a dragster tire. 

With the front tires reversed the SS360 in 4wd slide very easy.  My buddy runs them on his X3.

In 4WD does the power get distributed evenly? If you had 100 wheel horsepower would each wheel get 25 horsepower?

And if you put it in 2WD would each rear wheel get 50 horsepower?

I ask because if you’re accelerating, say in a drag race, then the front wheels are barely touching the ground.  So if you’re in 4WD half the power is going to the front wheels with less of a surface patch/traction than the rear wheels.

I’ve thought about starting in 4WD and then switching into 2WD on the fly. However, under hard acceleration I’m not sure if it would switch if I pushed the 2WD button. And if it did, would it harm my machine?

If I'm leading(98% of the time) I'm in 4X4.  As the leader, I have to approach stuff differently than the people following me.  When I'm following, 2WD.  4x4 is faster, no doubt about it.  Most of the rides i lead my group on are very quick for a SXS.  The southern dunes(Buttercup, Gordons)are much tighter and 4x4 is a must IMO.  Glamis is a lot more spread out and much higher top speeds.  2wd is much more manageable there.  My X3 has a 420HP custom package on it and I still run 4x4 almost all of the time.  The SXS's don't like to turn in the tight stuff in 2wd.  My pro r is a pig, its in 4x4 all of the time.  My 4 seat turbo s with a 250 whp package i like to run in 2wd.  :ez:

Reactions: FOG
If I'm leading(98% of the time) I'm in 4X4.  As the leader, I have to approach stuff differently than the people following me.  When I'm following, 2WD.  4x4 is faster, no doubt about it.  Most of the rides i lead my group on are very quick for a SXS.  The southern dunes(Buttercup, Gordons)are much tighter and 4x4 is a must IMO.  Glamis is a lot more spread out and much higher top speeds.  2wd is much more manageable there.  My X3 has a 420HP custom package on it and I still run 4x4 almost all of the time.  The SXS's don't like to turn in the tight stuff in 2wd.  My pro r is a pig, its in 4x4 all of the time.  My 4 seat turbo s with a 250 whp package i like to run in 2wd.  :ez:
Awesome. 
If I had that much horsepower in my Honda Talon, I’d probably be in 4WD more often. 

Back