4WD in a SXS. Is it needed in Glamis on these new machines?

Grease Monkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the evolution in the sxs game. More HP, more suspension, Longer and wider wheel base. Is 4x4 going to be as important as it once was in these machines?  I've talked to a few sxs owners with HP mods. They are not using 4wd and one has even removed the front diff and axles. 

I watched two SxS this last weekend get stuck because they weren't running 4x4.  One was at Brawley Slide the other at Swingset. They all had buffs on the front.  They got stuck pretty much on flat ground.  They either need wider tires or push that skinny pedal down more.  I did chalk it up to SxS drivers???  Same situation with my Funco I could idle out to get going.

i have a stock turbo S so im not in that high HP, but im always in 4 wheel drive, i run more air pressure in the paddles as well i can still slide the rear around a little bit and going thru the whoops it really helps to keep the car going straight. 

Just some thoughts for the conversation, when I watch Trophy trucks in desert or short course, they are much faster with 4x4 than 2wd.  Of course, they both have a lot of power to work with as well.  Maybe when you are only 190hp, you aren't able to drift in 4x4???  Really don't know.

Maybe some who are removing the front diff and axles are looking to save weight and just want to be fast going in a straight line?  I prefer 4x4. But, like others have said, sometimes I like the challenge of being in 2 wheel drive and drifting. 

When I owned a X3 Max, I ran 2wd when I was solo, 4wd when I had passenger(s). 

The extra weight in a SXS makes a huge difference, 4wd will pull you through the turns and that little extra help on the steep stuff can make it or break it. 

I run it in awd 99% of the time.  I find all my SXSs handled better than in 2wd.   I have messed around in 2wd in the dunes and dirt.  Those sketchy transitions get a lot sketcher when you are in 2wd. 

Something else to consider is having it in Awd/4wd appears to be less stress on the belt as you do not need to hammer the throttle as much.   

I only used 4x4 in my XP900 if I got stuck.  I ran 2WD 99% of the time with no issues.

I'll say it...skills and talent.  4x4 is a crutch.

I only used 4x4 in my XP900 if I got stuck.  I ran 2WD 99% of the time with no issues.

I'll say it...skills and talent.  4x4 is a crutch.
Ok I'll say it.......

Mac you ignorant slut :lol:   

Pajama Guy was confident that 2wd was faster,  His finish at the EPO running in 2WD showed otherwise. Everyone who beat him ran in 4WD. Four wheels pulling you out of a corner will beat 2 wheels pushing you thru one is pretty simple to understand.

To prove my point the Lucas series in the Pro 4 / Pro 2 shootout they let the Pro 2 trucks start first and they all get passed by Pro 4 pretty quickly.

That being said 2 wheel drive on our normal fun not so fast runs is a blast but if you get one of those guys who like to haul the mail pedal to the metal style.  The best way to keep up will be using the 4WD button. It's not a crutch it's a boost button

As far as getting stuck four wheel drive just gets you stuck worse.

Ok I'll say it.......

Pajama Guy was confident that 2wd was faster,  His finish at the EPO running in 2WD showed otherwise. Everyone who beat him ran in 4WD. Four wheels pulling you out of a corner will beat 2 wheels pushing you thru one is pretty simple to understand.

To prove my point the Lucas series in the Pro 4 / Pro 2 shootout they let the Pro 2 trucks start first and they all get passed by Pro 4 pretty quickly.

That being said 2 wheel drive on our normal fun not so fast runs is a blast but if you get one of those guys who like to haul the mail pedal to the metal style.  The best way to keep up will be using the 4WD button. It's not a crutch it's a boost button

I'm reporting you.  

:lol:

I'm reporting you.  

:lol:
Wait for the beep and leave a message, I am sure they will get right on it.

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Mac
Ok I'll say it.......

I agree 4wd is much faster, I just like drifting as much as possible, Dirt or Sand, just have to know what your doing if it gets sideways on you. 
also if you are on the throttle engaging 4wd the steering is much harder, it is on my 2018 X3 anyways. 

4WD all the time, its a Rhino 800 FI.

:add:

When will there be a "Rhino Roundup" like the ATC and Old School Rail ones.....  :deal:

2wd all the time with paddles 4 wd when dragging people out or with the dirt tires on. if you are carrying speed thru the dunes 40 plus mph just more fun sliding in 2wd with 18 psi in the rear tires you can get pretty loose. with the right tires there is no reason for 4wd

Back