2D PBS Shift Linkage - Need Tips Please

Dockmaster

Reaction score
Just finishing up reinstalling my 2D trans after rebuild in a mid engine application. I have the PBS cable shifter. Are there any tips or tricks to getting the shift linkage reattached properly so it is in the proper gear to match the shift lever?? Which gear is where on the linkage back on the trans? Is first gear with the linkage arm all the way to the rear of the car or? Where should the arm be for 2-3-4 gears? Is there a particular gear/location I should have the shift lever in when attaching to the linkage arm on the trans?  Again this a mid-engine setup. I couldn't find a manual online anywhere. Appreciate any help. Thanks!

Not sure if there's a better way, but I put trans in neutral, centered the shifter and attached the cables.

Only issue I can recall was to make sure you had enough clearance in center console to reach reverse, which was toward you and back. That was the farthest it had to move.

Maybe a few minor adjustments to center aft connection. 

Change the Shifter or cut the stops off the shifter then it will work 

I'm confused. Did he say there was a problem with the shifter? 

This what I have.

shifter1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry, i thought it was a S4,  

on some of the PBS on the bottom of the shift rod material can get inside the bottom of the rod and can shift funny 

you have the check the left right adjustment so it does not go near Reverse, they to the right positions on 3 and 4th it should stop moving tot he right by itself

start with the 1st 2nd gear shift, 

when going into second make sure it does not hit reverse 

Since the PBS shifter cover was already used before I assume that the modified fork is still in the 2D.  First put the gearbox in neutral; then adjust and lock down the cables so the shifter handle straight up and down.

BTW, You can also shorten the throw by attaching the cable to the hole  closer to the shift shaft on the cover.

I wouldn't worry about going from first to reverse because you have to overcome the spring inside the cover to get into reverse.  You probably already knew this from experience.

Post again if you still need help

R

Thanks for the tips and info. All back together now and working well. Was actually pretty simple to get it set right. Now just need some decent weather so we can hit the Oregon dunes. 

Back