2D Options - Repair or Upgrade?

Dockmaster

Reaction score
Tried to get one last weekend in at Oregon Dunes given the great fall weather we are having. As luck would have it, looks like I broke my trans or have a clutch issue. It’s a DECO case 2D behind a 510 hp LS3 in a very light mid-engine BFD Revo. Not sure what happened, starting hearing noises, then couldn’t get it in reverse, then it just locked up. Couldn’t even find neutral to tow it home. I was able to tow it with the clutch pushed in which I found odd and now wondering if I have clutch issues, trans issues or both? 

Do I have any reasonable options to upgrade to a sequential without heroic efforts? It’s a mid engine car and I do not have even one millimeter to move the engine fwd. A longer trans wouldn’t be too bad bad the distance from the front of the trans to the c/l of the axles/CV’s would have to be same as the 2D. 

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated. Obviously I need to get the trans out and get it to a shop to see what’s happening  in there. I guess do that first and go from there? 

I did a 2D to S4 swap and it’s a lot of work and a grip of money but worth it IMO. 

If your trans was locked up internally it would make no difference if the clutch was applied or not, all the clutch does is disconnect the trans from the engine. You may have an issue with your linkage, give it a good inspection before you pull the trans. It is possible that you may have a clutch issue, it may not be releasing enough to allow a clean gear shift, however you still should be able to get it into neutral at any time so the linkage is where I'd start first.  Disconnect the linkage completely and see if you can get the trans to shift while the car is on jackstands. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If your trans was locked up internally it would make no difference if the clutch was applied or not, all the clutch does is disconnect the trans from the engine. You may have an issue with your linkage, give it a good inspection before you pull the trans. It is possible that you may have a clutch issue, it may not be releasing enough to allow a clean gear shift, however you still should be able to get it into neutral at any time so the linkage is where I'd start first.  Disconnect the linkage completely and see if you can get the trans to shift while the car is on jackstands. 
The clutch vs locked up was what confused me for the same reason you mention. It could be linkage but I was getting a lot of noise without trying to shift. Heavier on the throttle the noise got louder, very light on the throttle very little noise. Noise was similar regardless if in second gear or third. 

we just did a swap for someone, take about 2 weeks, depending on car,  trans is completely different in strength 

Does anyone have dimensioned or scaled drawings for the trans options? I would like to compare a 4 speed sequential to my current 2D. I’m thinking seriously of doing the upgrade depending how much has to change. Being a mid engine car I talked to a few folks who seem to think it might not be too bad to make the change. 

sound like you were stuck in high gear making you think the trans was locked. maybe just a linkage Adjustment or a fork slipped on the rail. i would jack it up start it and let the clutch out to confirm. since you said it was making a noise your pulling the trans anyways

sound like you were stuck in high gear making you think the trans was locked. maybe just a linkage Adjustment or a fork slipped on the rail. i would jack it up start it and let the clutch out to confirm. since you said it was making a noise your pulling the trans anyways
I do believe it is stuck in 4th gear. I can get it into neutral now but otherwise only 4th gear. But given the noise it was making when not shifting it’s coming out for inspection at minimum. 
Even with a lightweight car I know I’m at the upper end of a 2D with the 510hp LS3. So I figured I should explore the option of upgrading. 

If I remember correctly you did a fresh oil change a year or so ago. How did the oil look then? 

Have you pulled the plug and drained the oil now that you have an issue?

Also, when was the last time the tranny was gone through?

I guess I'm just thinking is it really worth the hastle of stuffing 5 lbs of ish in a 1 lb ish bag. 

Does anyone have dimensioned or scaled drawings for the trans options? I would like to compare a 4 speed sequential to my current 2D. I’m thinking seriously of doing the upgrade depending how much has to change. Being a mid engine car I talked to a few folks who seem to think it might not be too bad to make the change. 
I just upgraded to a S5 from 2d rear engine . The mounting points are the same . As long as there is room for the front larger nose cone area . Motor will sit 3/4 higher. 

Good luck getting a new s4/s5 . My friend and I have had a deposit on each since December 14th 2021 . The s4 I think we will finally get next weekend . 

C1C5A383-99B9-494B-9269-1A5420ACD83C.jpeg

They are all now on the website, and can be found in each trans page in the "Features" box, with links in red text. 

Weddle HV24?

@Sean@Weddle: how interchangeable is the 2D and HV24 dimensionally?
Not very close. In this case, the distance from CV centerline to engine block is probably too much more on the HV to keep the axle geometry. Probably easier to swap in a S4/S5.

If I remember correctly you did a fresh oil change a year or so ago. How did the oil look then? 

Have you pulled the plug and drained the oil now that you have an issue?

Also, when was the last time the tranny was gone through?

I guess I'm just thinking is it really worth the hastle of stuffing 5 lbs of ish in a 1 lb ish bag. 
Yes, did an oil change recently. Oil that came out was not bad. I haven't had a chance to get the car out of the trailer yet and drain the current trans oil. That will be first thing to happen. The trans has never been gone through to my knowledge. Car is a 2015, I'm second owner. The car has very low miles since new, under 2k total. 

Your points about the hassle and then the expense to upgrade trans are valid and all things to consider. 

You may want to look at the Fortin FRS4 Sequential.  My car was a Mendi 2D that was converted to the Fortin. Very minor mods needed to fit. 

You may want to look at the Fortin FRS4 Sequential.  My car was a Mendi 2D that was converted to the Fortin. Very minor mods needed to fit. 
I'll check into this option as well. How long ago did you do your conversion to the Fortin? Has it held up well? Was cost in the same ballpark as an S4 conversion?

I'll check into this option as well. How long ago did you do your conversion to the Fortin? Has it held up well? Was cost in the same ballpark as an S4 conversion?
The conversion was done about 11 years ago by the previous owner. Trans has not been out of the car since. It had a 500+ HP turbo Honda mated to it when I bought it. It now has a 500 HP LS. I had the car prepped and the fluid replaced. I was told it all looked good and no metal in the oil. I will pull it out next summer and have it gone through but for now no issues. 

I love the Fortin Sequential... I don't love the whine it makes due to the straight cut gears. I am not sure on price, but I think they fall between the Mendi Sequential and the Albins Sequential. 

I did the 2D to Fortin H pattern box back in 2007.

Went 5 years before I wore out 2nd gear.

Then 4 years before I wore out 2nd gear.

2nd gear is just a bad ratio in these boxes.

Kevin McMullen is a good source to give info on Fortins.

The S4 is quite a bit bigger in the nose end than the Fortin.  

Depends on your chassis for how much fab work.

The Fortin and 2D are the same width at the drive flanges, so you can use same axles.

I did the 2D to Fortin H pattern box back in 2007.

Went 5 years before I wore out 2nd gear.

Then 4 years before I wore out 2nd gear.

2nd gear is just a bad ratio in these boxes.

Kevin McMullen is a good source to give info on Fortins.

The S4 is quite a bit bigger in the nose end than the Fortin.  

Depends on your chassis for how much fab work.

The Fortin and 2D are the same width at the drive flanges, so you can use same axles.
Is second gear in the Fortin H pattern different than in the sequential? Or suspect in both?

Back