2D Oil Change

Can anyone tell me the size and thread of the drain plug in a 2D? I need to order one with the magnet but don't have it in front of me currently. I'm guessing it's 1/2" -14 NPT but that's just a guess. 

Yes. However, I am happy to pay a reasonable premium and support those that support this site. But $15 to ship that tiny plug was a little over the top for me. 😒😒 So hoping to find it somewhere else and compare total price. Hopefully I'm wrong and $25 turns out to be fair and reasonable and I'll happily buy from them.
I bought one from Ricky Wright direct for like 5$. 

If anyone needs the info, the drain plug is 3/8" NPT. 

Filling it was super easy. Really glad I have the fill plug on top of the trans. To make the oil flow easier I just put the gallon jug in the oven on low (170) for awhile. I made sure to put a towel on the oven rack so no metal was against the plastic to prevent it from melting. The oil poured real easy, took me maybe 2-3 mins to get the gallon in there. 

The drain plug for a 2d is center back bottom . 17mm hex Allen . The plug will have a magnet on it . 

The 3/8 NPT plug rear side passenger is usually where you would hook a trans pump too . 

78EF2082-7F20-4E0F-80B5-E76462210D8E.jpeg

The drain plug for a 2d is center back bottom . 17mm hex Allen . The plug will have a magnet on it . 

The 3/8 NPT plug rear side passenger is usually where you would hook a trans pump too . 

View attachment 21454
I used the 3/8" drain plug on driver's side, front side. You can see it in your picture. I don't know, maybe I pulled a different plug but it drained it. And now I have a magnetic plug there too. 

The drain plug is the 17mm Allen directly underneath the bell housing, facing the engine block. This is the VW drain plug and will usually have the magnet on it.

The 3/8NPT plug on the sides of the case under the CV joints are for oil pump/circulation fittings. These will not have magnets, nor will they drain all of the oil out of the case.

The drain plug is the 17mm Allen directly underneath the bell housing, facing the engine block. This is the VW drain plug and will usually have the magnet on it.

The 3/8NPT plug on the sides of the case under the CV joints are for oil pump/circulation fittings. These will not have magnets, nor will they drain all of the oil out of the case.
Thanks! I realized this after @chopshop posted about the drain plug. I'll try to use the center drain on the next oil change. I have a cross member right in front of it so I may have to unbolt that to get to that center drain. Will it hurt anything to have a magnetic plug in that side location? I put a magnetic plug in there. I can't see what it would hurt but would appreciate some input if there is something I'm missing and should remove the magnetic plug from the side?

Thanks! I realized this after @chopshop posted about the drain plug. I'll try to use the center drain on the next oil change. I have a cross member right in front of it so I may have to unbolt that to get to that center drain. Will it hurt anything to have a magnetic plug in that side location? I put a magnetic plug in there. I can't see what it would hurt but would appreciate some input if there is something I'm missing and should remove the magnetic plug from the side?
It won't hurt anything, will only help catch more material. 

What are the torque specs for the drain, and fill plug on  a 2D? Don't want to strip the threads. Thanks in advance 🙏!!

What are the torque specs for the drain, and fill plug on  a 2D? Don't want to strip the threads. Thanks in advance 🙏!!
35 ft/lbs on each. blue loctite or silicone sealant on the threads will prevent seepage. 

Back