$223k in Reparations

We've tried reparations many times in the past. All it did was enrich large corporations and businesses because the reparations were not given to the people directly. I could see Gavin passing a 10 billion dollar reparations bill with AA's only getting 10% of the money. 
A very recent example of this very thing, the covid relief money. Look at how well that worked for those who needed it and those who benefited the most.

You have to be careful with the definition of "slavery" nowadays.  States have determined that forced prison labor is "slavery" and is being banned in a lot of states under the term "forced labor".

Freaking bullish*t if you ask me.

Reactions: THD
Co-worker was a 'kid' in a Japanese internment camp during that period. He got like $55k in the 90's. I've been to it riding harleys to Mammoth, Manzanar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanar

This reoperations BS to black decedents will backfire. Makes us MORE raceist. I will go OUT OF MY WAY to NOT spend on a 'Black Owned Business' because of the freebies they get. So sorry, I'll support my white son instead.

See how that works out for ya.

abc

Such :bss:  ...its just another form of money grab.

Nothing gets spent the way people think it does.

did a little more poking around @ lunch. 

Beginning in the 1960s, a younger generation of Japanese Americans, inspired by the civil rights movement, began what is known as the "Redress Movement", an effort to obtain an official apology and reparations from the federal government for incarcerating their parents and grandparents during the war. They focused not on documented property losses but on the broader injustice and mental suffering caused by the incarceration. The movement's first success was in 1976, when President Gerald Ford proclaimed that the incarceration was "wrong", and a "national mistake" which "shall never again be repeated".[231] President Ford signed a proclamation formally terminating Executive Order 9066 and apologized for the incarceration, stating: "We now know what we should have known then—not only was that evacuation wrong but Japanese-Americans were and are loyal Americans. On the battlefield and at home the names of Japanese-Americans have been and continue to be written in history for the sacrifices and the contributions they have made to the well-being and to the security of this, our common Nation."[232][233]

The campaign for redress was launched by Japanese Americans in 1978. The Japanese American Citizens League (JACL), which had cooperated with the administration during the war, became part of the movement. It asked for three measures: $25,000 to be awarded to each person who was detained, an apology from Congress acknowledging publicly that the U.S. government had been wrong, and the release of funds to set up an educational foundation for the children of Japanese-American families.

In 1980, under the Carter administration, Congress established the Commission on Wartime Relocation and Internment of Civilians (CWRIC) to study the matter. On February 24, 1983, the commission issued a report entitled Personal Justice Denied, condemning the incarceration as unjust and motivated by racism and xenophobic ideas rather than factual military necessity.[234] Concentration camp survivors sued the federal government for $24 million in property loss, but lost the case. However, the Commission recommended that $20,000 in reparations be paid to those Japanese Americans who had suffered incarceration.[235]

The Civil Liberties Act of 1988 exemplified the Japanese American redress movement that impacted the large debate about the reparation bill. There was question over whether the bill would pass during the 1980s due to the poor state of the federal budget and the low support of Japanese Americans covering 1% of the United States. However, four powerful Japanese-American Democrats and Republicans who had war experience, with the support of Democratic congressmen Barney Frank, sponsored the bill and pushed for its passage as their top priority.[236]

On August 10, 1988, U.S. President Ronald Reagan signed the Civil Liberties Act of 1988, which had been sponsored by several representatives including Barney Frank, Norman Mineta, and Bob Matsui in the House and by Spark Matsunaga who got 75 co-sponsors in the Senate, provided financial redress of $20,000 for each former detainee who was still alive when the act was passed, totaling $1.2 billion. The question of to whom reparations should be given, how much, and even whether monetary reparations were appropriate were subjects of sometimes contentious debate within the Japanese American community and Congress.[237]

On September 27, 1992, the Civil Liberties Act Amendments of 1992, appropriating an additional $400 million to ensure all remaining detainee received their $20,000 redress payments, was signed into law by President George H. W. Bush. He issued another formal apology from the U.S. government on December 7, 1991, on the 50th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack, saying:

In remembering, it is important to come to grips with the past. No nation can fully understand itself or find its place in the world if it does not look with clear eyes at all the glories and disgraces of its past. We in the United States acknowledge such an injustice in our history. The internment of Americans of Japanese ancestry was a great injustice, and it will never be repeated.

Over 81,800 people qualified by 1998 and $1.6 billion was distributed among them.[238]

Under the 2001 budget of the United States, Congress authorized the preservation of ten detention sites as historical landmarks: "places like Manzanar, Tule Lake, Heart Mountain, Topaz, Amache, Jerome, and Rohwer will forever stand as reminders that this nation failed in its most sacred duty to protect its citizens against prejudice, greed, and political expediency".[239]

President Bill Clinton awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor in the United States, to Korematsu in 1998, saying, "In the long history of our country's constant search for justice, some names of ordinary citizens stand for millions of souls: Plessy, Brown, Parks ... to that distinguished list, today we add the name of Fred Korematsu." That year, Korematsu served as the Grand Marshal of San Francisco's annual Cherry Blossom Festival parade.[240] On January 30, 2011, California first observed an annual "Fred Korematsu Day of Civil Liberties and the Constitution", the first such ceremony ever to be held in commemoration of an Asian American in the United States.[241] On June 14, 2011, Peruvian President Alan García apologized for his country's internment of Japanese immigrants during World War II, most of whom were transferred to the U.S.[189]

Co-worker was a 'kid' in a Japanese internment camp during that period. He got like $55k in the 90's. I've been to it riding harleys to Mammoth, Manzanar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanar

This reoperations BS to black decedents will backfire. Makes us MORE raceist. I will go OUT OF MY WAY to NOT spend on a 'Black Owned Business' because of the freebies they get. So sorry, I'll support my white son instead.

See how that works out for ya.

abc
Govt paid out like 1.6 billion in 1992

For real yo.. I’ve been a big fan of Famous Amos cookies all my life… nothing to do with the (previous) black owner.. just loved the cookies.. still do especially when I give blood. Never gave 2 Thoughts about it.

NOW .. I research before I spend.

abc

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back