2021 Formula 1 Season

AMAZING!!! The entire season came down to the LAST LAP. Congrats on the victory. Question: Was it fair? Peace

It sure was an exciting race and season for sure. Highlight for me was going to the USGP in Texas. Can’t wait till next season 

We dry camped for the weekend at the track. Only way to beat traffic in and out every night. Plus free concerts Friday and Saturday 

Yep, best to stay right there. Several people nearby also rent out moho parking (and tent camping) in their yards too, have had good luck with that. This pic was from FP1, look hard and you can see a Ferrari. Wondering what Miami will be like next year, but I think I can guess. COTA is great because you can see so much of the track from a given location.

Viva Max! Hammy is phenomenal, but it was great to see someone take it to him this year and make it count.

COTA turn 1 2021 FP1.jpg

Max was the one I was rooting for too! Hamilton and his team had opportunities to change tires. Obviously not knowing a few laps from the end BOOM Crash! Peace

Gift. Rules state all cars (which would’ve resulted in finish under safety car) or none. Not just some. 

Great season, but Hamilton had a dominant race that got ruined at the very end by a crash then a gift from Masi after he caved to Horner’s bleating. 

Oh well. Hamilton showed class by not complaining in the post race and congratulating Max.

Max was the one I was rooting for too! Hamilton and his team had opportunities to change tires. Obviously not knowing a few laps from the end BOOM Crash! Peace
Changing tires would’ve put Hamilton behind Max. They had plenty of cushion since Max ran out pace pushing his third set of tires with about 10 to go. Had Mercedes pitted, Max would’ve stayed out and they would’ve expected Hamilton to have to pass the lap traffic as well, or the possibility it would’ve ended under safety car, giving the race away. 

The odd happenstance where only some cars got to pass the safety car was against published rules. Would’ve been like if in football you punt the ball to the other team with 8 seconds to go and no timeouts, only to have the refs call a timeout after the opponent’s first play. The timeout clearly benefits one team and the other team had no way to predict this. 

Best driver won. All is good in the world of motorsports today.
Odd. I saw that best driver who had the fastest car Saturday (pole by 0.3s is significant) get dominated for 55 laps until the Race Director made Something up for the last lap so he could win. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the best driver of the day finish 2nd. For the year??/ Different story. Max led more laps than anyone. Peace

I saw the best driver of the day finish 2nd. For the year??/ Different story. Max led more laps than anyone. Peace
Max had a better car all season after Hamilton’s was nerfed by the rules. 

Either way, the mixup was good, as was the season. Just sucks it was WWE style decided by stewards when they hucked a chair into the ring. :biggrin:

agree... the way it ended was not right....  But i also feel earlier in race when Mad Max dove inside of hamilton, clearly was in front of Hamilton into corner, and yes pushed Hamilton wide and off track (but it was his corner to do that, it was the racing line).... and Hamilton cut the corner and remained in P-1 never relinquishing the place, which i believe he should have.

So i guess in the end... all worked out as it should have.

Odd. I saw that best driver who had the fastest car Saturday (pole by 0.3s is significant) get dominated for 55 laps until the Race Director made Something up for the last lap so he could win. :biggrin:
 Best driver for the season, not just one race. I disagree with you about the Red Bull being a better car most of the season. The Mercedes was a better package overall. As Max said, if he was driving "that car, the championship would have been decided ages ago". Next season will be a true test of Hamilton speed when Russell joins. Botas was slow as Eff. 

The odd happenstance where only some cars got to pass the safety car was against published rules. Would’ve been like if in football you punt the ball to the other team with 8 seconds to go and no timeouts, only to have the refs call a timeout after the opponent’s first play. The timeout clearly benefits one team and the other team had no way to predict this. 

Yeah, pretty much gifted Max the win.  Lewis had the better car and dominated the race (methinks even if he'd given back the position on the 1st lap, he still had the better car, especially since Max effed up in Q2 and had to start of softs). chit, with 10 to go Horner admitted as much.

Also remember earlier in the season, the Belgian GP never should have been held on race day where they did 2 laps behind the pace car, thus declaring it "official" and granting Max a win without turning a wheel in anger.  But as they say, that is the racing . .

agree... the way it ended was not right....  But i also feel earlier in race when Mad Max dove inside of hamilton, clearly was in front of Hamilton into corner, and yes pushed Hamilton wide and off track (but it was his corner to do that, it was the racing line).... and Hamilton cut the corner and remained in P-1 never relinquishing the place, which i believe he should have.

So i guess in the end... all worked out as it should have.
Sorta agree, but the current standard is going off track to gain an advantage.  Since Max hadn't completed the pass, stewards no-investigated it.

No worse than Brazil, which Max should've been penalized for.  So even Steven I guess.  That chit needs to be cleared up though.  There were a number of races where Max physically pushed Lewis off track and didn't even get a sniff of a penalty.  Let them race, penalize them, whatever it is, just make it consistent. 

Best driver for the season, not just one race. I disagree with you about the Red Bull being a better car most of the season. The Mercedes was a better package overall. As Max said, if he was driving "that car, the championship would have been decided ages ago". Next season will be a true test of Hamilton speed when Russell joins. Botas was slow as Eff. 
Err.  2014-2020, sure.  2021 has been the Year of the Bull.  Mercedes' car was nerfed quite a bit more than RBR's:

nifhm85omlp61.png

image.jpg

And they've had to drive around rear aero limitations all season as a result.  The last couple of races have been more front limited, which didn't get nerf'd as much this season on the Merc, so they've remained strong there, but RBR has been the car to beat through more races this season than not.  Merc got early season wins by strategy and tire management more than having the faster car.  

Yeah, pretty much gifted Max the win.  Lewis had the better car and dominated the race (methinks even if he'd given back the position on the 1st lap, he still had the better car, especially since Max effed up in Q2 and had to start of softs). chit, with 10 to go Horner admitted as much.

Also remember earlier in the season, the Belgian GP never should have been held on race day where they did 2 laps behind the pace car, thus declaring it "official" and granting Max a win without turning a wheel in anger.  But as they say, that is the racing . .
Agree.  Max screwed his own race in Q2 going for the second hot lap that was totally unnecessary, and Hamilton had it in the bag by lap 10. The end of this season stinks of desperately wanting to get a new champion for entertainment's sake as opposed to racing.  Sucks since it taints Max's 1st (and definitely not only, dude's good) championship IMO.

Like I said: had Merc known Masi was going to put entertainment ahead of consistency, their call to not pit Lewis would've been wrong.  With 5 to go, literally everyone (including Horner) expected the race to either end under the safety car, or with Lewis 5 cars ahead of Max at the restart. Gift.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was shocking! Last race you'd think he'd win or crash. Peace
Rear-limited car is VERY tricky to drive, especially in traffic and passing.  Less exit traction to set up a pass, especially at a track like this where the big straights are preceded by chicanes.

Back