2001 F-250 7.3 Cranks but wont start

Punchdrunk Monkey

Reaction score
My 2001 F250 7.3 died while driving it. The motor just quit running while driving. I was able to get it off the road. I would crank it and it would run for a few seconds and then die. Sometimes it would crank and not start. 

Any ideas on stuff I can check at home before I tow it to a shop? I don't have any diagnose software to check parameters. 

check the IPR plug, they melt....its under the fuel bowl....on the front of the motor.  also could be crank position sensor....

The IPR sensor is 2 wires when they short its like flipping a switch...

Google crank position sensor...it  has something to do with the tach...aslo fuel bowl heater fuse ... it's usually one of those 3  things... OR low on oil.......

Definately crank sensor should be checked. Does the rpm gauge bounce while cranking? If no def. cps. 

Powerstrokes need oil pressure and fuel pressure to run. Generally they dont just quit. When they do its often a failed sensor or associated wiring.

my first thoughts are check your icp sensor (injection control pressure sensor it reads oil pressure if failed truck wont run). Unplug it, if it is oily thats the problem. It will default to 700psi and run unplugged enough to get you off the freeway. Its an easy fix, if the connector is oily replace it too riffraff diesel sells this stuff at a good price.

*****ONLY USE FORD SENSORS AND PIGTAILS!!!

possible problems:

bad fuel pump

clogged filter

bad icp

failed ipr or fpr (injection pressure regulator or fuel pressure regulator)

bad idm (injection drive module)

under valve cover harness

bad ebp sensor (exhaust back pressure sensor front of engine).

does the truck have a chip?

any check engine light?

I just went out and cranked it. It started and ran for 2 seconds. I checked the oil and it is full. I did notice when cranking it over the tach does not move.  

It is going to MDS Diesel in Ramona on Monday. My 2020 Raptor got totaled last week. I need to find a new truck more than I need to work on the old truck. 

cam sensor most likely.. common problem. takes 10 minutes to change out and that elusive 10mm. i carried a spare in my 7.3's after i had one quit.

Cam sensor, they work and dont work and work, wont start, allow you to drive 200 miles from nearest town, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a new cps from ford and put it in...can fix it in under an hour... it's only a 2 beer job. 

One 10mm bolt, one pigtail, back in business. That CPS can definitely give you a headache. Very easy fix though.

Bought two when mine went out. The spare has been in my glovebox for ten years or so. Glad I haven’t needed it but it’s peace of mind that it’s always with me.

Miguel at rpm truck and auto in ramona is very good with powerstrokes

Looks like you are getting it taken care of, but cps is a common problem. Always check to see if the tack bounces when your truck won't start and you know exactly where to start. Must be a oem ford sensor like sausage450r said. Good luck, and sorry to hear about your raptor, that truck was slick!

One 10mm bolt, one pigtail, back in business. That CPS can definitely give you a headache. Very easy fix though.

Bought two when mine went out. The spare has been in my glovebox for ten years or so. Glad I haven’t needed it but it’s peace of mind that it’s always with me.
Will never die because you have a spare.  Now, should you borrow the 10mm and forget to return it... :biggrin:

Look up the CPS color. I forget if you want the dark gray or light grey. Amazon has them but some people claim there are fake motorcraft parts and be careful. 

Back