1/4" screw gun/impact

Bobalos

Reaction score
Good morning folks,

on the drag race team that I worked on, we had a small 1/4" drive screw gun that we used for all kinds of stuff (Kind of like the bottom picture).  At first I never saw much use for it, but we actually used it quite a bit.  I have a big 1/2" drill that I use all of the time around the garage, but I have to admit that most of the time its quite a bit of overkill. 

Do any of you guys use something like this around your shops?  is it something you use ALL of the time or occasionally?

Do you have a "screw gun" or an impact? 

Ive converted over to the Milwaukee M18 stuff from Dewalt, but it looks like if I want a screw gun I have to go down to the M12 stuff & I was hoping to keep the batteries all M18.

thanks

Bob

1106333.jpg

2CDC8_AS01

I have one like the top pick and use it a lot in the garage. Its great

I have the ryobi version but I get your question I think you will be stuck with the m12 if size is your your issue

I use both every time I am in my shop.  My impacts get more use then anything.   I have a 12v and 18 volt.  I am not a big fan of the M12 stuff but the M18 rocks.  I have Hitachi and love them.  

I have two 1/4" craftsman drivers, use them all the time!  My favorite cordless tool.  

I have one at home and at the shop. Use all day every day. They are available m12 or m18 i have 1 m12 and 2 m18 both work equally well. 

Im looking at their 1/4” m12 die grinder next and gonna go old school and get a jigsaw too. Love milwaukee stuff. Used my weedwacker yesterday on neighbors lawn

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an older version of the top one. Definitely one of my most used tools. Going strong after 12 years with the same batteries. 

I have the top one you pictured.  I use it all the time when working on stuff.  Very handy tool. 

I went with the M12 line.  While I do use it at work I am not a field employee so I don't use it every day all day.  So the M18 was just over kill.  That little M12 impact screw gun is pretty powerful though it has surprised more than one person. 

As far as changing out adapters.  Well in my work set up all I have is 3/8" sockets and for the dunes tool box I have 3/8 & 1/4" so it;s not that big of a deal to swap back and forth.  Plus it drives more sheet metal screws and tightens down set screw connectors then it does nuts and bolts.

I use the Dewalt 20v 1/4" impact at home and it get used just about daily. I don't like having multiple battery types and voltages so all my cordless stuff is Dewalt 20v. The only tool that ever failed was one drill. Everything else has been great. I have all my old Craftsman 19.2v stuff at my weekend place. I have to say, I have built several large decks, a shop and other items and driven thousands of screws with that little Craftsman 1/4' impact and it is still going strong!

Regardless of brand, the 1/4" impacts are hands down the tool I use the most. 

I have the one too have pictured up top.im not really in the field as much myself as I own the company and I seen more time in the office so the m12 is great for my use.that little driver will sink 3-1/2 wood screws with no problem.its a impact drover not a impact wrench so can't tell you about putting a socket bit on on how it will do.but thay make the best tools hands down as far as Im concerned!!!!

Wow, thanks folks.  I didn't think this would get as many comments as it did.  

Thanks again

Bob

Love my M12 drill with the 3/8" chuck and 2 speeds. I use it mostly for driving 3" deck screws into 2x4's and whatever random projects. Been through at least a major kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel, office addition...still going strong.  I hate listening to the 1/4 impact chattering away, so I avoid it. Wanted that M12 Fuel stubby 3/8" impact that Alper showed above, but ended up getting the Dewalt 20V Max for doing lugnuts and whatnot. Very happy with that one as well but it is heavier.

I have the M12 driver(2462-20), the M12 3/8" impact (2554-20), and the full size 3/8" impact.

The driver is great for random stuff around the house.  The mini 3/8" is what I usually take to the boneyard.  The full size 3/8" busts lug nuts loose...

I also have the M12 LED light (2364-20).  It's great.  Magnetic base, and a spring loaded clamp type deal to grab a 2x4 or the like.  I also have the M18 Jobsite fan.  It moves some serious air.  It's awesome to set up by the grill during the summer.  My GF uses the fan more than I.  She will bring it into the bathroom with her after a shower while doing here hair...Mexican/Black girl with a BUNCH of thick curly hair..who takes a shower with the water set to blister mode...LOL

I love most of my Milwaukee stuff have about 15 items of the M18 10 of the M12, favorite are the M18 Grinders and rotary tools,  the DA sander is very handy,  M12 Radio is way better than the M18,  

I am a super Milwaukee Fan 

But 

couple of things i would just throw away or just does not work well, might work for some but when time is money its got to go, 

1. Heat gun, - for heat shrink, it really is way to slow,  just dont have the time to deal with it, 
  2. I there drills,  compared to the dewalt, but i hated all my dewalt stuff besides there drills really out perform the Milwaukee, for a machinist and metal working, the low speed is the same as the dewalt hi, and chuck just sucks, 
  3. the Ratchets i do not like because of the paddle, the paddle is just a lazy idea, so they can take the rotary tools and use the same parts, it is not a ground up idea, 

• Some might not agree on the ratchet,    but if you try a snapon or even the ryobi, it is hands down better, hard to beat the snapon ratchet,  and the heads are big and clumsy,  no good, 

My favorite Milwaukee are 

1. The impacts are hands down way better than any dewalt,  the 1/2 are really amazing 
  2. tugsten grinders i love, 
  3. soldering iron works very well 
  4. DA sander is great, 
  5. The Heated Vest, love it, 
  6. Phone chargers are way quicker than the 110v wall 
  7. AND all time favorite hands down is the M18 Grease Gun!!!! 

Still hate the ratchet  LOL 

Ah, yes, the ratchet.  I have the smaller version with the 3/8 head.  It's not breaking anything loose like an air ratchet.  The paddle is terrible.  Thought maybe I just got a bad one..  When you hit the paddle, if there is too much load on it, the thing quits and you have to cycle the paddle.

Back