Editing posts

Bobalos

Reaction score
It appears that we can no longer edit our own posts.  Is that correct?  

The edit function is good for 30 min  once you post. After that it's locked to prevent the deleting of content. 

If you need to delete an item or post, feel free to pm a mod for that section. 

has it always been like that and Im just now noticing it?  LOL

I simply wanted to updated a thread I started to clarify what I meant & noticed it.

Speed UTV puppets in the big thread caused this change.
No. There was a guy a few years ago that had started a lot of tech threads with a LOT of useful info. Well one day he got pissed off at something in here and he went and deleted ALL of his posts and threads. I think his name was 4wdBoss. Delete function was removed after that.

No. There was a guy a few years ago that had started a lot of tech threads with a LOT of useful info. Well one day he got pissed off at something in here and he went and deleted ALL of his posts and threads. I think his name was 4wdBoss. Delete function was removed after that.
It was the speed "tech" thread. The main contributor just did the same thing.

Surprised to hear 4WDboss did that, I thought he was an "inner circle" homie.

Speed UTV puppets in the big thread caused this change.
I’m now a little sorry that I brought that to everyone’s attention in the Speed UTV thread. I just thought it was strange that they would go back and delete content that they posted weeks or months ago, as I found their content informative. 
However, it wasn’t my call to impose the new 30 minute rule, so please don’t shoot the messenger/whistle blower. 

Delete and Edit are different.

Edit function was just changed.

Inner circle??? What kinda website is this? What act of solidarity is required to get into this inner circle?
In the early days of this site most of what went on was gatherings. You had house parties, You had Taco Tuesdays, Havasu weekends and most important were Glamis trips where most of us would meet in Wash 13.5 and circle up.  Well if you got there early enough you were in the first ring, if you rolled in at midnight on Friday you might be 3 rings back.  Well a few people would get more than pissed off because they felt their contribution would allow them to camp right up front in the inner circle no matter when they arrived.

One particular Thanksgiving the need to be in the front row had gotten so bad that the camp instead of being a circle ended up being a half mile long falic looking object with two smaller circles at one end. 

We even had a member named the inner Circle Jerk, Total A-hole condescending arrogant and basically a PITA, Lucky for us @Chummin ran him off to never be heard from again.

Bansh pretty much nailed it.

Order of events:

Old site, members had the option to delete their posts. This was convenient for many years until a member decided to remove ALL their content.  Really screwed up the flow on discussions. So we disabled that option and asked members to PM a mod for assistance.  Sucked for all of us. 

New site.  The delete function was allowed at first but with the total loss and need for content it was locked.  We worked thru a number of locked and unlocked functions from member email changes to password changes. Like I said, it was a learning curve.  As of this time we thought we had it all figured out.  We never thought the edit function would be used to delete content.  It hadn't happened and honestly we had more faith in this community, so we never considered that as a potential problem.

Much like life lessons, here we are.  The edit option is there to help with adjusting spelling, grammar, etc, but its only open for 30 min from your posting. 

If its a classified ad and the price needs to be changed, sold, or modified just PM a mod or hit the support tab and we all will be notified and happy to help.

Thank you all for understanding.

:cheers:

Most forums deal with this, and it sucks. To me, the forum harbors the discussions, the discussions belong to the forum. Going back and deleting your posts because something didn’t go your way is childish. It’s a forum, debate is literally at the core of it. Don’t like it? No one forces you to post. 

I’m now a little sorry that I brought that to everyone’s attention in the Speed UTV thread. I just thought it was strange that they would go back and delete content that they posted weeks or months ago, as I found their content informative. 
However, it wasn’t my call to impose the new 30 minute rule, so please don’t shoot the messenger/whistle blower. 
It would’ve eventually come to light and the forum mods probably would’ve done the same anyway. Most forums put a limit on edits per hour to prevent this, but they’re usually on vBulletin, so YMMV. 

I think there is merit to locking posts, one of the big drag racing forums I was on the motto was "its your words, Own them or go the ph.u.ck away".  You had 5 minutes to edit your your posts, then it was locked!!!  And lots of times if you said something stupid someone would quote you just to lock it in forever. LOL 

I think there is merit to locking posts, one of the big drag racing forums I was on the motto was "its your words, Own them or go the ph.u.ck away".  You had 5 minutes to edit your your posts, then it was locked!!!  And lots of times if you said something stupid someone would quote you just to lock it in forever. LOL 
musta been yellowbullet.. lol

musta been yellowbullet.. lol
How did you know???  LOL.

& for the record: I would hope if Im being an A.H. that one of you would be inclined to send me a PM or TXT or something & tell me to knock it off.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back