Do You Use GPS/Navigation In a Sandcar?

Dockmaster

Reaction score
Curious how many of you have a Lowrance, Garmin or similar unit on the dash of your sandcar and do you actually use it? And by use it, I mean the navigation feature, not just for a back up camera screen or GPS speed. I was planning to put one in my new car but mainly just because the Holley dash doesn’t have an input for back-up camera. I’m aware Motec does but I don’t need the added features of Motec and cost and I actually like the graphics on Holley better.

When I was at the SSSS show I saw a sandcar with the camera rear view mirror and it provides for back-up monitor too. I figured this was a better option for back-up rather than putting a Garmin on my dash mainly just for back-up monitor. I don’t really like the look of these on the dash anyway. Just wondering if I might regret not have a navigation unit? For the little I ever use navigation I usually just use my phone. I guess if I ever really needed something I could find a mount for my iPad and an app but I doubt I need it. What say you all?

I always have a GPS of some form on the dash and use it pretty frequently. Handheld GPS, Tablet with Gaia or different app, built in nav, etc... used them all. I also lead a lot. I will use it to toss in a bearing and occasionally glance if heading to a specific area or destination... also when heading back to camp as I'm a nomad these days and it's washes one weekend, pad 3 next, vendor flats after that... and I end up coming back in the dark most days so it's pretty helpful in that regard when trying to avoid certain areas.
...my very first season with a GPS and first real time using it to run back to camp for parts... wife and little ones in the buggy with a broken steering rack... I had led for seasons out there already and knew the dunes well but having that GPS and a sense of urgency I found myself attempting to follow a straight line and almost killed myself... quick lesson that I never forgot, do not "navigate" that way in the dunes 🤘

I turned mine on the day of bought the car and didn't turn it on again. That said...... I was a follower, and we always went to glamis. Our leader has been going to glamis since sand was discovered and he has his I-pad deal in his car.

only have a handheld portable in my car.basically just used for emergency of needed.Dunes are easy to navigate and been going for about 40 years so font need to look at it.

years ago i was on my dirtbike had it in backpack brother broke a cv i marked the spot went back on bike grabbed another axle with cvs used gps to do the last part worked great.

We use the Lowrance to mark points of interest and things like that. Its also useful to get a general sense of where you are. If someone breaks and we needed to go back to camp to fetch a part its way easier to accomplish that with a waypoint. Mine is a Trophy 5M, it was like $495 or something, in hindsight I should have got something with a much bigger screen, a touchscreen too, so use while underway was easier. The new car may get something more substantial.

Back