450 Yamaha Fat Paddle big wheel camp bike

I ordered my Scotts steering dampner bracket last week and he told me 8-12 weeks. He said this is one of the hardest to make of all the bikes. 

SD1.png

SD2.png

Carl Weathers stars in "Action Traction". 

That thing is like the older brother to my tw200 that went into the marines and came back hard as a rock. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so cool!  I'd love to have one - my old BW 200 was a blast.  When we got back from rides, everyone was fighting to ride it around camp.  Someone would also want to take it on our rides.  It was awesome but just not enough power to keep up on rides so was mostly the camp racer.  Yours has much better suspension and power - love it!

For what it's worth, Mine just had a big nobby tire on front and worked perfect.

DSC00886.JPG

Found a 26x9x12 tire that only looks to be 3lbs heavier than the Sand Star. 4 ply vs 2 ply but most of the stuff out there is 6 ply. This tire is still 4 lbs lighter than the 2.0 Bighorn. Probably run 2 to 2.5 psi in it. Have no clue how this thing will work but I want to try it. Looks to be a discontinued item but I think I found one and ordered it. We will see. Hero or Zero?

trail-pro-1.jpg

Ordered a plastic tripod kickstand to hopefully carry in my back pack. Less than 2lbs.

kickstand.jpg

Because the bars are mounted to the upper triple clamp in a non stock location (1.200 forward of the centerline of the stem) I will have to custom weld, drill, grind, mill, fit the Scotts steering bracket. Bought both of these so far from separate sellers on ebay. The lower frame bracket with bearing is for another Yamaha frame so I will need to cut the tab and reweld. Then hopefully buy the floating pin from Scotts.

Lower stabilizer bracket.jpg

Upper bracket.jpg

This pic shows how far forward the centerline of the bars are vs the centerline of the stem.

20210915_193545 (1).jpg

Machined the factory steering nut down to accept the ID of the bearing. Then cut off the tab because the lower mount was for a WR400. But it gave me the bearing and correct distance for the tube the pin goes in. 

20210924_120727.jpg

20210924_120741.jpg

Welded on a piece of .250 steel for the bolt. 

20210924_151113.jpg

The mount I bought was for a 2003 YZ250. It is offset and even flipped around I was just short of the pivot of the stabilizer lining up with the centerline of the stem. Just whittled out and welded on some more material. Now I just need to order the hardened pin from Scotts. Also extend that tube to be taller. It should end up similar in height as shown in the last pic. 

20210924_145545.jpg

20210924_164929.jpg

20210924_170044.jpg

FBD-4757 (3).JPG

Well this thing is awesome with all the changes. Absolutely rips and had me screaming in my helmet today. Front tire is so much better than the ribbed tire. Rolls over everything and is much more controllable. I dropped the forks down a quarter inch. Added some seal savers. Stabilizer all working helps a lot. I also cranked a bunch of compression into the front forks which really helped. Couldn't be happier.

20211012_134321.jpg

20211012_134334.jpg

20211012_134413.jpg

20211012_134513.jpg

20211012_134520.jpg

That looks like sooo much fun!  I want to get one again, miss riding but just don't have the time to look and find one.  Thanks for sharing - for now I'll just enjoy looking at yours!

Goofing off on it yesterday I am guessing I went 8 to 10 miles. Burned one gallon of fuel. So with a 1.4 gallon tank I'm guessing it might go 15 miles in the dunes. Need to play with it a little bit more. Might have to look into a bigger tank if I want to go do any Dune runs with it.

Whats your thoughts on the seal savers? Is it because the bigger front tires blast the fork seals with sand?

Whats your thoughts on the seal savers? Is it because the bigger front tires blast the fork seals with sand?
Just extra protection for the fork seals. We know how invasive the sand is out there. Last week when we got there the ranger station showed a 49 mph max wind gust!

Back