Ya got a plumber?

RideSand

Reaction score
Super excited about this.... Water heater on the kitchen/dinning room side of the house took a dive a week or two ago. Its a 19.9 gal and just stopped making water hot. Looked into it the best I could, and without knowing much have determined its not reparable. Its old, and after a few phone conversations with my father in law over the phone and another friend of mine, we all agree. 

Ok, thats fine, these things break. Fast forward to this past Friday and our dishwasher stops working well. Its not getting hot water, so maybe thats part of it? I dont know, but it sure seems to suck too. Also a little dated, maybe its time to replace that, too. Yay.

Ok, heres the BEST part. A hose bib on the exterior of the house, directly behind the kitchen sink, started dripping. No prob - got a rebuild kit last week, take it apart to replace the little rubber deals inside, and the screw in rusted out. Cant remove it. Ok thats fine, head to ACE for a replacement part - they aint got it. Ok, its getting late, put it back together, turn the water back on, let it drip into a bucket (about a gallon/day) and address it later, with everything else. 

Ok, heres the BETTER part! Walk in the kitchen this morning, and theres water on the floor. Now we have everything under the sink cleaned out, theres moisture everywhere, and ya boy has no idea what to do next. So, are you or do you know a good plumber in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area that is willing to look at a job out here in Rio Verde? I can look one up and call anyone I find online, but like always, wanted to check here first. Thanks all. Wish us luck. 

I have a guy who is awesome unfortunately he is like everybody else that is good  and booked so far into the future, when I called him for something he walked me thru how to do the repair myself.  After all its plumbing how hard can it be.

I have a guy who is awesome unfortunately he is like everybody else that is good  and booked so far into the future, when I called him for something he walked me thru how to do the repair myself.  After all its plumbing how hard can it be.
I hear that. We can manage for a bit, just by turning the main on when we need it and doing dishes next door at my moms (she lives in the guest house - thank goodness!) but are obviously trying to get it sorted as soon as we can. Ive got feelers all over the place haha

is your outside faucet on that same wall as the kitchen issue?

is your outside faucet on that same wall as the kitchen issue?
It is. Dug out a lot of dirt today, down to the foundation, and to keep a long story short - I now believe my hot water line, under my house, is broken or cracked. The gate valve on the water heater (going into the water heater I guess?) is old and doesnt seal anymore, so tomorrow we will be replacing it with a new ball valve. Hopefully this stops any more water from going down the hot water line, which is assumed to be leaking under the house, and we can buy ourselves some time while we figure out and then schedule a solution. Blehhhhhh

It is. Dug out a lot of dirt today, down to the foundation, and to keep a long story short - I now believe my hot water line, under my house, is broken or cracked. The gate valve on the water heater (going into the water heater I guess?) is old and doesnt seal anymore, so tomorrow we will be replacing it with a new ball valve. Hopefully this stops any more water from going down the hot water line, which is assumed to be leaking under the house, and we can buy ourselves some time while we figure out and then schedule a solution. Blehhhhhh
Underground hot water pipes like to spring leaks and the fix is sometimes worse than the problem.

The gate valve is about as easy as it gets.  

Ever notice the floor getting warm, or hot? My dad found a broken hot water pipe in the kitchen this way, Came home from school one day to a hug pile of dirt on the floor and was introduce to a foreign language.

Ever notice the floor getting warm, or hot? My dad found a broken hot water pipe in the kitchen this way, Came home from school one day to a hug pile of dirt on the floor and was introduce to a foreign language.
That is what happened to my parents....... On the day they accepted the offer on the house.

My mom answers the phone, you know one that hangs on a wall. Well she is standing in the kitchen talking to the realtor when she notices that the floor in front of the sink is getting warm under her feet.  The realtor is saying how they will do a home inspection in the next few days and she is thinking how many spare tiles do we have in the garage and how fast can I get somebody here.

Needless to say the grout was barley dry when the home inspector showed up.

I wonder how you can deal with something like this if you have a post tension slab?

Re-pipe through the walls.
That makes more sense then the tunneling solution I found after posting especially in Az with our caliche. It cost me an extra 6k for the hole in my back yard.

Re-pipe thru the walls / ceiling. Dry wall patch and paint is so much cheaper then tearing up flooring, cement, etc.

Thought I could bypass the hot water line leaving the tank and at least stop the leak. Tried this afternoon - still leaking. Thats annoying! Looks like its the line coming into the water heater now. Or another line. At this point it all appears to be the same. Have a good tax return coming and a phone call in to the insurance company tomorrow. Im just over a year in to this owning a home gig - is home insurance the same as auto insurance in that do I have a rate increase coming after this? Thanks all!

Thought I could bypass the hot water line leaving the tank and at least stop the leak. Tried this afternoon - still leaking. Thats annoying! Looks like its the line coming into the water heater now. Or another line. At this point it all appears to be the same. Have a good tax return coming and a phone call in to the insurance company tomorrow. Im just over a year in to this owning a home gig - is home insurance the same as auto insurance in that do I have a rate increase coming after this? Thanks all!
i don't think you will. i was with farmers for a total of 72 hours before getting hit by the 99 tornado and I was at about 55k in total cash and prizes in damage, rates never went up and I was scared to death but they cut checks like crazy and never batted an eye lol.

i don't think you will. i was with farmers for a total of 72 hours before getting hit by the 99 tornado and I was at about 55k in total cash and prizes in damage, rates never went up and I was scared to death but they cut checks like crazy and never batted an eye lol.
This is not covered  :lol:  

Have a Leak Locator coming out on Friday, then we take it from there. Sucks, but if I don't laugh about it I will just be pissed.... Wish me luck!

Back