XX Wildcat input

Punchdrunk Monkey

Reaction score
I didn't want to step on @John@Outfront 's  Kawi Vs Honda thread.......but what about the Wildcat XX in this mix? I was thinking of picking up something a little more cost effective for the meantime while I wait for my Speed. The Wildcats seem to be fairly inexpensive for a 18 or 19. Depending on the Speed, I would be using it for 3 months to 2 years. It would be 90% desert driven. 

I have driven Can Am's, how do the XX's compare? Obviously slower as they are not turbo'ed. But for under 20k, they seem pretty decent???

Wildcat XX is decent SXS.  The first model year had some issues with axles, but that was fixed.  Steering box I think needs a gusset.   Stout car and the suspension is pretty good stock, but is much better with some shock work.  My friend had Schmidty do his shocks and night and day difference.  My friend liked his but had to get rid of it to get a 4 seat SXS. 

In the dunes they do fine, but will be working if you are riding with a fast group of turbo cars.  

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/snw/7562065861.html

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/snw/7566433657.html

picking up something a little more cost effective for the meantime while I wait for my Speed. 
You may wanna splurge and go all out. You are gonna be driving that "Bridge Vehicle" a LONG TIME ! :lol:

Many consider the Speed UTVs to be the "Caspers of the Dunes"

YUP

REAL GHOSTS!!!!

Choose Wisely!  Don't wanna make TWO MISTAKES in a row when putting out your hard earned $$$$ buying a UTV !

:poule:

PS / They are great SXS  friends have had them and loved them !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hands down,  the best suspension (out of the box) of any sxs in the industry (until speed is out)

I have had rzr 1000, turbo, pro, can am xrs, yamaha yxz, most of the platforms.  Have had 4 wildcat xx's.  Get a 2020 or newer if you can.  A late built 19 is ok,  but the earlier models had a weaker motor. If you ever did decide to turbo it, you want the newer engine. I have boosted 2 of mine and currently have my motor at push being but for a stage 2 system in my latest version. The suspension is the most like a sandrail, and the handling characteristics are very similar.  The biggest downfall is waterpump failure (easy fix) and lack of customer support. Every thing on the engine can cross over from the yamaha yxz, so parts for that are pretty easy. If you can find a newer one under 1000 miles for under $20k ,  you are good.  If you can find a built one for mid $20's,  you are great.  

For what your going to be doing. I would buy what is most popular with the group your going to be doing that with. Strength in numbers is always the best way to go in Baja, Hell I have an opportunity to go with some people on a Baja run but mine would be the only Can Am in the run and the spare part list puts it out of my price point to go or even realistically think about it. 

I have a Biffle Wildcat Z1 complete car  :bag:

Met him in the JR helo world and he made me a deal at Glamis to buy his car that was built in the beginning of his Z1 conversion world.  

Has been a good fun car over the years. 

Seeing as how I need customers to be buying the front superdiff we just invested very heavily in, I say the XX is the absolute best platform out there! There are few upgrades they need, not unlike any other platform, but every person that has one or driven one say they are best unit out of the box.

An investment into steering, water pump, front diff and trans seem to get these pretty well sorted out. 

Just waiting on AC to get us the spider gears to complete these superdiffs. (sad face)

I borrowed KATG Wildcat for Vet's weekend and dunes it. Super roomy for a big guy like me. Definitely not a rocket ship but it got me around. Suspension was good but needs a turbo to keep up with our group.

What is the difference in the Wildcat and Wildcat RG PRo? There is a 2018 Wildcat and 2019 RG Pro for sale locally

For what your going to be doing. I would buy what is most popular with the group your going to be doing that with. Strength in numbers is always the best way to go in Baja, Hell I have an opportunity to go with some people on a Baja run but mine would be the only Can Am in the run and the spare part list puts it out of my price point to go or even realistically think about it. 
All you need is a spare rear axle, ball joints, spare tire, and some belts and go have fun in Baja.  

What is the difference in the Wildcat and Wildcat RG PRo? There is a 2018 Wildcat and 2019 RG Pro for sale locally
same car just different year and graphics. From 2018 to present is the same,  except for engine upgrades in late 2019 and clutch upgrades in 2022 models.

I turbo'ed a 2020 and a 2021 with a low boost system,  and they are a blast to drive. It really is what should have been with the platform. 

20210207_103019.jpg

20220527_114355.jpg

Thanks. They seem to the most bang for the buck of the SxS's. It would just be something to goof around with for a few months.

I ended up buying an ‘21 off of @MGMFRP  car is so much fun to drive even at 64” I can still drift it without feeling like it wants to tip over. The Push turbo is super nice and everyone in my camp is surprised how well it handles and performs. Love how everything is pre wired even for a light bar. Car is super easy to work on as well. Thanks Scott for a great car can’t wait to see what you think of your new build after the motor and turbo upgrades. 7C910413-8574-461E-B3E9-4C4E46CE5F68.jpeg20E7D187-383D-4708-AC96-F6EAEAD5FD22.jpegAlmost forgot.. I REALLY love the bed storage in these things!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Have had mine new since 2018, awesome SxS just won’t win a drag race or shoot a soft hill/transition like a turbo can can. Haven’t found a group I couldn’t hang with even if I have to choose a different line to clear a transition.

Everyone who rides or drives it loves the suspension setup.

Other then the first axle due to mis-alignment from factory all other issues were self inflicted. 

I ended up buying an ‘21 off of @MGMFRP  car is so much fun to drive even at 64” I can still drift it without feeling like it wants to tip over. The Push turbo is super nice and everyone in my camp is surprised how well it handles and performs. Love how everything is pre wired even for a light bar. Car is super easy to work on as well. Thanks Scott for a great car can’t wait to see what you think of your new build after the motor and turbo upgrades. View attachment 54408View attachment 54407Almost forgot.. I REALLY love the bed storage in these things!! 
He sold my The Orange One 2 seat ‘21 RZR turbo S with 1 mile on it. Solid GD folk right there.

abc

Back