Wrap vs paint

Jtmoney714

Reaction score
Who has done either to their sandcar recently? What was the price point? Pics of the work? Things to look out for? Etc?

I spoke with Gatorwraps last year about a full wrap on my car and they quoted me close to 2K. That did include a few hours of design where we could come up with pattern or specific color I wanted. This also included me bringing them my complete car and they would remove and reinstall all the panels as well.

I wonder how much it costs to powder coat all of the body panels on a generic car?

Current car has a wrap on it and the edges are pretty sensitive to abuse i think next step i will have the panels powder coated for durability and maybe some stickers on the panels is all. 

Current car has a wrap on it and the edges are pretty sensitive to abuse i think next step i will have the panels powder coated for durability and maybe some stickers on the panels is all. 
i think you should make it not yellow :)

Paint, this like everything else has gone up. Me, as having a collision repair background prefer painting. I am not a fan of powder from the repair standpoint. Color matching  powder colors to chemical paint colors is hard to do. I am now getting ready to paint my frame again. It is labor intensive for sure and the chemicals to re-coat frame cost $875.00 for single stage. My panels are base coat clear coat and have lasted 11 years. I am not painting them as they still look good.

IMG_1855.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s good info. How long would you say the wrap lasted?

I can say this about paint. My side panels are original to the car and it was built in late 2000 and still look great. They are not perfect but I dont think a wrap would have held up for 20 years.

I can say this about paint. My side panels are original to the car and it was built in late 2000 and still look great. They are not perfect but I dont think a wrap would have held up for 20 years.
My side panels are 11 years old with base coat clear coat. They still look good and no signs of sand damage. When I built my trailing arms I took them and had them powder coated. I was very disappointed in how the coating held up. As for wraps I have no experience with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s good info. How long would you say the wrap lasted?
I wanna say the wrap is around 3yrs old now. The wrap itself is fine like i said its around the edges that take the beating the most 

Back