Workhorse service in east san diego recommendation

Sausage450r

Reaction score
I have a 35’ a on workhorse chassis 8.1/allison 5 speed. Sounds like my hydraulic pump for steering/brakes is crapping out. Want to get it in for full tune up (a/c pump, water pump, belt/pulleys, brakes, full chassis service). Would rather avoid motorhome places like ricks etc as they all have months long backlog

Can't see your video but sorry to hear. Mine has been great for the most part. I did need to replace a rear hub seal. That was a doozy doing it myself. Leaked diff Lube all over my brakes. Now every crack in the road and I think my hub bearing is falling apart. Wrecks my nerves!! 

20211026_195929.jpg

20211026_200807.jpg

20211027_105552.jpg

20211027_170319.jpg

Only when weather is projected to be nice. Doesn't want a 35’ motorhome taking up alot of shop space so he does motorhomes outside. Have a trip on the 23rd i want it back for

Fwiw, we had Ricks RV do some work on the toterhome belonging to the race team owner.  They did a damn good job.  

Discount RV is who I use. They used to be in Lakeside, but they just bought what was the old Chevy dealership in the 90.’s in Ramona,  right on Main Street across from the Dennys. The original owner Ed, who’s semi retired and his daughter Tori & her husband  Barney who now run the business. 

I Cant say enough good things about them. Probably one of the most honest shops I’ve ever dealt with, not just RV but any shop I’ve dealt with. 

Here’s a few examples. Had a leak which he found was from the AC gasket on the roof. The water left a stain in the carpet material on the ceiling and it upset me. I asked what he could do to fix or replace it among with fixing the AC gaskets on both AC’s. He told me a tip about using hair Solon quality hydrogen peroxide to remove the stain. Sure enough it removed the stain. Cost me less the $10 and I was willing to spend hundreds to fix the stain. 

Another time I had it in and I had a list of a few things I wanted to fix while in there. One was a day night shade that was failing apart. Instead of charging me, he had Tori give me the manufacture name & number to order and install myself. He said it’s held up by two wood screws. He said I’d be robbing you to charge you to order & install it as I could do it myself. 

I needed a new carb, and the Onans are so expensive and were on back order last year. I called asking if he could help me. He gave my the info to a much cheaper knock off that he’s been using without any issues. It looks like an exact clone, probably made by the same factory that makes the Onan one. Again said I’d have to charge you an hour for putting a carb one that you can do yourself and he’d have to mark up the cost of the carb. 

And my last example is from yesterday. My RV is up there with some insurance work from a front tire blowout. Now they are in Ramona which is not as convenient. So a few weeks ago Ed (father) came to my house to look at the damage and start my insurance claim. Yesterday I drop it off at the end of the day, and they drove me back home to Lake Jennings area as it was on their way home, so I did not have to have someone come get me. 

Can’t say enough about how they take care of and treat you. 

Discount RV

1939 Main Street Ramona

619-448-6242

Discount RV is who I use. They used to be in Lakeside, but they just bought what was the old Chevy dealership in the 90.’s in Ramona,  right on Main Street across from the Dennys. The original owner Ed, who’s semi retired and his daughter Tori & her husband  Barney who now run the business. 

I Cant say enough good things about them. Probably one of the most honest shops I’ve ever dealt with, not just RV but any shop I’ve dealt with. 

Here’s a few examples. Had a leak which he found was from the AC gasket on the roof. The water left a stain in the carpet material on the ceiling and it upset me. I asked what he could do to fix or replace it among with fixing the AC gaskets on both AC’s. He told me a tip about using hair Solon quality hydrogen peroxide to remove the stain. Sure enough it removed the stain. Cost me less the $10 and I was willing to spend hundreds to fix the stain. 

Another time I had it in and I had a list of a few things I wanted to fix while in there. One was a day night shade that was failing apart. Instead of charging me, he had Tori give me the manufacture name & number to order and install myself. He said it’s held up by two wood screws. He said I’d be robbing you to charge you to order & install it as I could do it myself. 

I needed a new carb, and the Onans are so expensive and were on back order last year. I called asking if he could help me. He gave my the info to a much cheaper knock off that he’s been using without any issues. It looks like an exact clone, probably made by the same factory that makes the Onan one. Again said I’d have to charge you an hour for putting a carb one that you can do yourself and he’d have to mark up the cost of the carb. 

And my last example is from yesterday. My RV is up there with some insurance work from a front tire blowout. Now they are in Ramona which is not as convenient. So a few weeks ago Ed (father) came to my house to look at the damage and start my insurance claim. Yesterday I drop it off at the end of the day, and they drove me back home to Lake Jennings area as it was on their way home, so I did not have to have someone come get me. 

Can’t say enough about how they take care of and treat you. 

Discount RV

1939 Main Street Ramona

619-448-6242
Thanks nikal. I think this is going to  be something i will fix myself unfortunately just due to logistics (im 25 miles from the nearest town, 50 from ramona). But beyond that i do want the whole thing sealed and inspected after. Will have discount do that

Thanks nikal. I think this is going to  be something i will fix myself unfortunately just due to logistics (im 25 miles from the nearest town, 50 from ramona). But beyond that i do want the whole thing sealed and inspected after. Will have discount do that
Sounds good and should save some money doing it yourself. But keep their number if you have something you can’t or don’t want to do. 

Yeah when I heard they were going to have to move (lease was up) and that they found property to buy in Ramona, I was bummed. But then again an extra 12-15 miles for me is worth it, knowing they are good honest people. I live maybe a mile or two from San Diego RV and I chose to take my RV to Ramona says something. 

After my previous post I searched Discount RV up on Yelp just to see what others had said. Not surprising I found so many reviews that said the same things I’ve said, so they clearly treat all their customers good. 

One story was from a couple traveling a few years ago. They broke down and were sent to Discount RV.  With no place to go for Thanksgiving, Tori & Barney invited the couple to their home for dinner while their RV was being repaired. Who does that now a days? 

Back