Wiring diagram showing cutoff switch

kgwmu

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good wiring diagram that includes accessories and a cutoff switch? I need to clean up my wiring because I found that when I turn off the cutoff switch with the car running, it doesn't kill the car.

Some basic info on my car.
  • Keyed power and start
  • I have radio/intercom that is connected to the positive side of the battery
  • Cutoff switch is in line with the ground from my battery
  • A couple accessories are grounded to the chassis (I'm thinking that is part of the problem)

I did save the attached diagram, but it doesn't really show accessories like the radio/intercom that Rugged says to connect direct to the battery. I believe John from Outfront shared this diagram it before the site crash.

Attachments

like it said above, the alternator puts out power, peeps are lazy and run that to the starter post, and the starter post on most wiring is a post that they hook up ever possible positive wire to, so anything on the post touching the alternator will have power as long as the alternator is spinning

You can also terminate the alternator on the battery, but the positive cable should go to the disconnect switch only, and the starter on the battery post to save amperage from passing through the switch. Nothing else on the battery post or in between (or it won't shut off with the switch).

Does anyone know of a good wiring diagram that includes accessories and a cutoff switch? I need to clean up my wiring because I found that when I turn off the cutoff switch with the car running, it doesn't kill the car.

Some basic info on my car.
  • Keyed power and start
  • I have radio/intercom that is connected to the positive side of the battery
  • Cutoff switch is in line with the ground from my battery
  • A couple accessories are grounded to the chassis (I'm thinking that is part of the problem)

I did save the attached diagram, but it doesn't really show accessories like the radio/intercom that Rugged says to connect direct to the battery. I believe John from Outfront shared this diagram it before the site crash.

I don't think I've ever seen a Perko Switch on the ground side of a battery?

Every car is different.

I make my own wiring diagrams from from scratch when wiring a car.

Are you running a one wire alternator? Or?

🤔

P.S. that wiring diagram must be older than dirt. I'd much rather utilize a volt meter, than an idiot light to verify charging.

I don't think I've ever seen a Perko Switch on the ground side of a battery?

Every car is different.

I make my own wiring diagrams from from scratch when wiring a car.

Are you running a one wire alternator? Or?

🤔

P.S. that wiring diagram must be older than dirt. I'd much rather utilize a volt meter, than an idiot light to verify charging.
I agree, it does seam like an older diagram, I was just using it as a reference.

Yes, I have a 1 wire alternator.

When I added a cutoff switch to my last car it was on the positive side. To me that made the most sense, so when I seen our new car setup this way it through me off a little. Looks like I have some updating to do in our offseason here.

I agree, it does seam like an older diagram, I was just using it as a reference.

Yes, I have a 1 wire alternator.

When I added a cutoff switch to my last car it was on the positive side. To me that made the most sense, so when I seen our new car setup this way it through me off a little. Looks like I have some updating to do in our offseason here.

Start on a big blank piece of paper and a bunch of colored pencils.

Draw the battery on the top left corner, and draw all your consumers at bottom.

(Current show flow down, yes?)

Then start connecting things together, adding fuses,relays and switches as necessary.

Make sure you have a good eraser too! Lol

Eventually,it will all start to make sense, and you'll eliminate any wiring you don't Absolutely need!

It's a LOT easier to do it on paper, than it is on an actual car. 😜

I wired my cut off switch in Baja to the ground, I turn it off, and pull the key, and there is literally zero ground to the car.
I did it this way because I thought it might confuse the average thief.

@kgwmu

Start small. Even the toughest things become simple when you break em down to the basics.

I had a customer that wanted power windows, auto closers and power locks, added to his Early Bronco! I had to build all of that stuff from scratch!!!

A few hours scratching my head with my paper and colored pencils, and eventually, I had a map to build from. My kids would make fun of me: check out dad playing with is colored pencils! :ROFLMAO:

But slowly but surely, it became reality...

20181009_150136.jpg

20181004_162953.jpg

20181004_183025.jpg20181010_110806.jpg

20181010_110825.jpg

20181010_113422.jpg

Fun, right? lol

20180913_131551.jpg

I'll usually start mine like this...lolsketch.PNG

Kidding. That's closer to what it looks like when it works.

Back