Windows 10 End Of Life

JDMeister

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Micro$oft claims the end of life for Window$ 10 will be 2025.

This means there will be no more security updates.

I suspect the desire to force consumers into a hardware upgrade is the driving force.

The fact that the hardware is still fine seems to be overlooked.

The details are:

To upgrade to Windows 11, the hardware should have a "TPM" chip set installed.

If your existing hardware has this TPM chip, it will allow upgrades to 11 as long as you have a Micro$oft "Account" and can log into it.

Some consumers resent having to sign into Micro$oft to use a computer they own.

WTF Is TPM?

Options are two.

1) Buy a new computer with 11 installed.

2) Choose another OS, (Linux or Unix) install it and you're done with the issue.

The easy answer is Linux Mint. User friendly and installs quickly.

Ubuntu Is Another Popular Linux Distribution.

Often the large choice of "Distros" will confuse new users. Not to worry.

Linux Mint Is Here, Free to download and use.

Complete Installation Instructions Are Here

How To Create A Live Boot USB Thumb Drive Or DVD

These instructions Will create a "Live Boot" version of Linux Mint or Ubuntu

so you can test it out before installing.

Ubuntu Is Located Here, Free And Easy To Use

This Video Explains About Ubuntu and Mint.

Any questions, just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
By default, you must have (or create) a Microsoft account in order to install Windows 11 Home  (and versions of Pro that are build 22H2 and up). Though Microsoft accounts are free, there are many reasons why you would want to install Windows 11 without one. 

Maybe you want to use a local account because you are installing Windows 11 on a child's PC or on a PC that you plan to sell, give to a friend or donate to a charity. Obviously, you don't want someone else having a computer with your account on it. Or perhaps you just like your privacy and don't want to create an account with Microsoft in the first place.

Whatever your reason for doing so, there's an easy way to install Windows 11 without using a Microsoft account. 

There's a simple trick for using a local account that works on current builds of Windows and involves cutting off Internet at just the right time in the setup process. However, the upcoming (and currently in preview) build 22H2 is wise to this trick and blocks it, demanding that you reconnect to the Internet before continuing.  If you have Windows 11 22H2, you'll need to prepare your install disk using Rufus, a process we document further down this page. 

If you've already downloaded and created a Windows 11 boot disk with Rufus or otherwise, follow these steps to set up without a Microsoft account. Follow the Windows 11 install process until you get to the login screen where you are prompted to sign in or create a Microsoft account. Now's the time to cut off the Internet. If you have a physical connection  you can always pull the plug, but it's easier to just use a command to turn off your PC's Internet until the next time it reboots, which it will as part of the setup process anyway. The Full Instructions Are Here

And if I do nothing???  will it still work just like it has for the last 3 or 4 years???

And if I do nothing???  will it still work just like it has for the last 3 or 4 years???
I suspect a backlash and they resume updates.

But, wait and see. (They did promise Windows 10 was forever)

whelp, I think my next 'puter is gonna have them linuxes on it.

whelp, I think my next 'puter is gonna have them linuxes on it.
Several companies sell with Linux pre-installed.

But, unless you system is a complete cluster Eff, slip in an SSD, and install Linux yourself.

The price of SSD media is dropping, 128 Gig SSD are $20 +/ -

The only thing to remember is, backup data, and collect all passwords you need.

And, Linux will dual boot with Windows if you want to test it out for a while.

No more security updates means eventual virus doom.  If it's a gaming or non-critical rig, meh.  If it's for our company's Quickbooks, less meh. :biggrin:

OK I will ask questions, I have a Lenovo desktop with four GB of ram. I’m still running windows 8.1.  This updated itself last night so even 8.1 is still being updated.  I watched the first video on choosing between mint and the other one. And to me, it looks like the other one is actually easier to use.  I am assuming I need to back up my files before embarking on this? Second, is there a video giving the exact step-by-step instructions? Thanks.

OK I will ask questions, I have a Lenovo desktop with four GB of ram. I’m still running windows 8.1.  This updated itself last night so even 8.1 is still being updated.  I watched the first video on choosing between mint and the other one. And to me, it looks like the other one is actually easier to use.  I am assuming I need to back up my files before embarking on this? Second, is there a video giving the exact step-by-step instructions? Thanks.

Windows 8.1 support ended on January 10, 2023

As a reminder, Windows 8.1 has reached end of support on January 10, 2023. At this point technical assistance and software updates will no longer be provided. If you have devices running Windows 8.1, we recommend upgrading them to a more current, in-service, and supported Windows release. If devices do not meet the technical requirements to run a more current release of Windows, we recommend that you replace the device with one that supports Windows 11.

Microsoft will not be offering an Extended Security Update (ESU) program for Windows 8.1. Continuing to use Windows 8.1 after January 10, 2023 may increase an organization’s exposure to security risks or impact its ability to meet compliance obligations.

Your system will work fine with Linux.(IF it is not a 32 bit CPU)

Many 8.1 computers were shipped with a single core CPU. They are 32 bits only.

Dual Core CPUs can be either 32 0r 4 bits. Four gig ram is a bit low, but Linux runs fine

with 4 ram. Post your model of computer CPU and I'll let you know.

And yes, complete instructions are available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows 10 will be supported until 2025, and you can upgrade for free without losing any data.

The upgrade path is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the file, run it, and you are on Windows 10. (Free) After 2025, you may want to try Linux.

Or, you can dual boot Windows AND Linux anytime. Youtube is your friend.

Back