"Window guy", recommendation

Bobalos

Reaction score
Evening folks,

We had "replacement windows", installed quite a few years ago and we have one that leaks.  I've tried a few times to resolve the problem but it still does it and I'm at the end of my knowledge base.  

I need someone to come out that knows what they are doing with 50 year old,, stucco finished, wood framed houses, to fix this up for me.  We are in San Diego, near the 15 & 8 interchange. 

Thanks again GD.com!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, bummer...I used cunningham windows in Tustin for mine...not the cheapest, but everything turned out great. 

Is it a replacement window as in the old aluminum frame is still installed and the replacement window is sitting on the old window frame bumped up to your stucco? I'm just wondering what exactly is leaking.

Kenco. Just had them install 4 new windows in my stucco house. Very reasonably priced, and the installer really knows his $hit. Highly recommended.

People get replacement windows and frequently they spend way too much time worrying about the quality of the new windows and not enough about the quality of the window INSTALL. When they put the "drop in" replacement windows in a stucco house, your only water seal around the new window is a bead of caulk essentially that they put behind the outer flashing/frame of the window where it meets the stucco. You need to make sure they use a really good quality long lasting product for the caulking and that they grind the stucco if needed to make sure the window sits tight against the stucco all they way around. 

How do I know? years ago hired some guys to do some of our windows and the douches put them in with nothing but a thin bead of latex caulk around them for a seal. Within a few years they were leaking. Had to pull them all out myself and redo them.

Is it a replacement window as in the old aluminum frame is still installed and the replacement window is sitting on the old window frame bumped up to your stucco? I'm just wondering what exactly is leaking.
this is how they are done.  I can only make assumptions that the original window is what is actually leaking, but I dont know how that works or what to do to fix it.  Im guessing rip all of everything out & start over.  if that is the case, then I want it done before I paint the house...  I wish I knew exactly where its leaking.  I can assure you I have "siliconed the hell out of this thing" its not for lack of silicone.  LOL. 

Ive done some research on how stucco windows are installed & based on what is happening, I think the water barrier in the old window has failed.  the way these get put in, I dont see how any of the "replacement windows" can truly keep water out the stucco gets saturated after 3 days of rain, it siphons down through the stucco, hits the new window & gets channeled into the house. this is what is happening with this window.  And the location of the window, it gets direct rain on that portion of the house.  Im guessing all of them could potentially do the same thing, but with the eve's & patio, they dont get wet enough....  but this is supposition on my part.  as Ive implied/said, this is a larger project than I would like to take on. 

is this the Kenco you are talking about?

image.png

who is JT? 

bob

Last edited by a moderator:
this is exactly true.  I can only make assumptions that the original window is what is actually leaking, but I dont know how that works or what to do to fix it.  Im guessing rip all of everything out & start over.  if that is the case, then I want it done before I paint the house...  I wish I knew exactly where its leaking.  I can assure you I have "siliconed the hell out of this thing" its not for lack of silicone.  LOL. 

Ive done some research on how stucco windows are installed & based on what is happening, I think the water barrier in the old window has failed.  the way these get put in, I dont see how any of the "replacement windows" can truly keep water out the stucco gets saturated after 3 days of rain, it siphons down through the stucco, hits the new window & gets channeled into the house. (which is what is happening with this & the location of the window  allows that to happen.  Im guessing all of them could potentially do the same thing, but with the eve's & patio, they dont get wet enough....  but this is supposition on my part.  as Ive implied/said, this is a larger project than I would like to take on. 

is this the Kenco you are talking about?

View attachment 5427

who is JT? 

bob
Ok, this is what I was figuring might be happening. I think knowing that the replacement needs to be removed and the original window needs to come out, this should help in people here to give you the correct recommendation. You don't need a replacement window company, you need a contractor. 

thanks for the input folks. 

Any last suggestions on folks that could take care of this?  Id like to get a few bids. 

thanks again

Bob

Back